This is a short term field review of the Drone Pro 10x, i dont want to go into the information that you can get from their web site at www.nightvisiongear.co.uk, just to stick to the field review, as this might help someone make up their mind if the Drone pro is for them.

The n/v that ive owned, or looked through, to base these's findings on.
Gen 1 merlin, challenger, Exelon spotter, gen2+ 731 dedicated 6 mag, gen3 pvs 14 pinnicle/mamba lite add on.

Mounting the Drone pro
In a lot of cases, if the rifle has a high lifting bolt, your going to need a weaver/picatinny rail that at least 10mm high, and extends around 150mm PAST THE BOLT, to get an ideal shooting position.
(If you dont have this height where the bolt travel's the bolt will catch the Drone base, the extra length is needed to get the correct eye relief, without stretching your neck forward.
The two ways of doing this is to (1) buy an extra long weaver from (nightvisiongear( which go on a standard weaver rail, this is 300mm long, and raises the height by an extra 7mm, it is also multi position they are £85, or
(2) a 10mmx400mm weaver rail from "Alan Rhone", this is the way ive done it, and cut it myself (310mm) this cost me £92.50 inc p+p.
Centre of scope to centre of barrel with the 10mm weaver rail is 65mm/2 1/2".

Range and clarity
How far do you want to shoot, last night was a good n/v night, the longest field ive tested it in is 300yds, EVERY rabbit that was in this field could be seen clearly, not just eye shine, if the shooter/rifle was up to it fox could be shot at this range, i cannot say how far over 300 yd it will see (for back stop) but i would think on a night like last night 450yd+

Field of view
Not as wide as a 6x dedicated, but at 10 mag, a dam good compromise, you will not have a problem finding things with the field of view, and at 10 mag it helps with size, at long range.

Depth of field
This is fantastic, ive just set mine to be clear at 150 yds, for rabbits there no need to re focus from say 40 yd-200 yds, fox to 250+yds, if you want it slightly clearer then adjust it, but there is no need.

Illumination

T20 (supplied) with doubler on, You can put torch on full power, adjust the brightness on the Drone and go from 40 yds -300yds without altering the illumination (and there is no "white out" even at 40 yds, and with this x2 doubler i dont get that led pattern on tightest focus

Lamp/torch v Drone pro

I often use a red t20 torch to spot, mainly fox, but some times rabbit, on rabbits the torch wont pick up rabbits in a field at distance, last night it was spotting rabbits in the field up to 150 yds, beyond that you might no know they were there, other Drone owners will tell you that the drone will pick up the rabbits that the torch or lamp will not.

Foggy and poor n/v nights where there is high water content in the air.

Thursday and friday night this week it was foggy, by 11.30pm the torch was down to 80 yds as the beam was bouncing back, the Drone was still doing 180 yds, so on some nights where you might have to pack up because of bad fog or mist, your likely ??? to keep going with the Drone.

Background lighting

Although i havent as yet do a lot of shooting with the drone with back ground lighting you can do places with the drone that you cannot with top end tubed stuff, as, as soon as the tubed stuff gets near lights thats can be miles away it flairs, so cannot be used.

Whats wrong with the Drone/how could it be improved.

It would have been better if it had been designed to run on re chargeable say 18650 batteries instead of the 123a none rechargeable (these's have lasted around 2-3 hrs ???) but when the battery packs for these's comes out (AA) and (18650) this will partly address this.
The weaver accessery rail on the right of the Drone might have issues with double battery torches like the nm800 , with the bolt on the rifle ???, but is certainly doesnt with single battery torches.
The male thread could have been made longer (for more grip to pull itself on) as you have to push the battery cap whilst screwing, and it doesnt grip by much (but it hasnt given me any problem's) (this will also sorted by the battery packs).

No n/v is perfect, but Mr Moore and your team thats designed and built this, IMO what an ALL ROUND FANTASTIC job youve done.

Dave (warbucks)