Thread: Short term "Field " review of the Armasight Drone Pro 10x

Short term "Field " review of the Armasight Drone Pro 10x

This is a short term field review of the Drone Pro 10x, i dont want to go into the information that you can get from their web site at www.nightvisiongear.co.uk, just to stick to the field review, as this might help someone make up their mind if the Drone pro is for them.

The n/v that ive owned, or looked through, to base these's findings on.
    Gen 1 merlin, challenger, Exelon spotter, gen2+ 731 dedicated 6 mag, gen3 pvs 14 pinnicle/mamba lite add on.

Mounting the Drone pro
    In a lot of cases, if the rifle has a high lifting bolt, your going to need a weaver/picatinny rail that at least 10mm high, and extends around 150mm PAST THE BOLT, to get an ideal shooting position.
    (If you dont have this height where the bolt travel's the bolt will catch the Drone base, the extra length is needed to get the correct eye relief, without stretching your neck forward.
    The two ways of doing this is to (1) buy an extra long weaver from (nightvisiongear( which go on a standard weaver rail, this is 300mm long, and raises the height by an extra 7mm, it is also multi position they are £85, or
    (2) a 10mmx400mm weaver rail from "Alan Rhone", this is the way ive done it, and cut it myself (310mm) this cost me £92.50 inc p+p.
    Centre of scope to centre of barrel with the 10mm weaver rail is 65mm/2 1/2".

Range and clarity
    How far do you want to shoot, last night was a good n/v night, the longest field ive tested it in is 300yds, EVERY rabbit that was in this field could be seen clearly, not just eye shine, if the shooter/rifle was up to it fox could be shot at this range, i cannot say how far over 300 yd it will see (for back stop) but i would think on a night like last night 450yd+

Field of view
    Not as wide as a 6x dedicated, but at 10 mag, a dam good compromise, you will not have a problem finding things with the field of view, and at 10 mag it helps with size, at long range.

Depth of field
    This is fantastic, ive just set mine to be clear at 150 yds, for rabbits there no need to re focus from say 40 yd-200 yds, fox to 250+yds, if you want it slightly clearer then adjust it, but there is no need.

Illumination

T20 (supplied) with doubler on, You can put torch on full power, adjust the brightness on the Drone and go from 40 yds -300yds without altering the illumination (and there is no "white out" even at 40 yds, and with this x2 doubler i dont get that led pattern on tightest focus

Lamp/torch v Drone pro

I often use a red t20 torch to spot, mainly fox, but some times rabbit, on rabbits the torch wont pick up rabbits in a field at distance, last night it was spotting rabbits in the field up to 150 yds, beyond that you might no know they were there, other Drone owners will tell you that the drone will pick up the rabbits that the torch or lamp will not.

Foggy and poor n/v nights where there is high water content in the air.

Thursday and friday night this week it was foggy, by 11.30pm the torch was down to 80 yds as the beam was bouncing back, the Drone was still doing 180 yds, so on some nights where you might have to pack up because of bad fog or mist, your likely ??? to keep going with the Drone.

Background lighting

Although i havent as yet do a lot of shooting with the drone with back ground lighting you can do places with the drone that you cannot with top end tubed stuff, as, as soon as the tubed stuff gets near lights thats can be miles away it flairs, so cannot be used.

Whats wrong with the Drone/how could it be improved.

It would have been better if it had been designed to run on re chargeable say 18650 batteries instead of the 123a none rechargeable (these's have lasted around 2-3 hrs ???) but when the battery packs for these's comes out (AA) and (18650) this will partly address this.
    The weaver accessery rail on the right of the Drone might have issues with double battery torches like the nm800 , with the bolt on the rifle ???, but is certainly doesnt with single battery torches.
    The male thread could have been made longer (for more grip to pull itself on) as you have to push the battery cap whilst screwing, and it doesnt grip by much (but it hasnt given me any problem's) (this will also sorted by the battery packs).

No n/v is perfect, but Mr Moore and your team thats designed and built this, IMO what an ALL ROUND FANTASTIC job youve done.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Nice review, Dave.

Just a couple additions to your comments, if I may.

You didn't touch on the the Drone Pro construction or ergonomics. In my opinion, it feels like a mil spec unit. Solidly built. The controls all feel sturdy and positive and fall easily to hand, which, when in the dark (it is nv, after all), is essential. A point which some manufacturers fail to address correctly.

Regarding the mounting of the illuminator, I use the ring-mount Picatinny rail, and face it rearward. The rail sits on top and falls short of the control panel, so access there is fine.

I use an 80mm lens illuminator and this clears the front lens of the Drone pro when fitted on an adjustable mount. I use a coaster on my focus and this can get full rotation too.

In total agreement with you regarding the depth of field. It's huge! A testament to the nice optics.

Nice to hear that you're a fan of the DP too.

George
    Loads of stuff that goes bang and some gadgets that cut through the darkness.

http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com

8omm lens illuminator, George, sounds interesting....

Sound Review

I must agree with everything that has been said, as a Drone Pro user its an unbiased review, well done.
    Will

Nice one Dave.

Still getting to grips with mine now the new mod for the .17Rem has arrived but I did get a geld vixen with it that the first night out at 125m...... that didn't like the T20's IR one little bit though!?

Good stuff!

Fizz
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!

Add on v Dedicated night vision

Just a bit more general information to help people with their n/v choice's.

IMO if someone is wanting to use n/v on more than one rifle, there better off going for an add on n/v, as it allows you to swop from one rifle to another without altering zero, and will still give better day light performance, but there is always a compromise, this is head position on the stock, and a reduced field of view in the dark and more focus fussy(when compared with a dedicated).
    Top tubed add on's are around the pvs14's and Envis,s, but digital add on's are getting better, and ive seen an home build thats shootable to over 200 yds.

Drone Pro v pvs14 pinni/mamba-lite for foxing

Drone's the winner, better fov, better picture, no need for any focus or illumination adjustment needed, just turn on, and shoot

Drone v top end tubed

If your willing to tie up one rifle, mainly for night time shooting, the Drone really i a hard act to beat, if your foxing, and the fox appears before its totally dark, its no problem with the drone (or any of the digital) but with tubed dedicated you carnt use it.
    With the drone being designed to be 10 mag, you have more magnification than you have with tubed (6x) and although a lot of the lads have no problems using 6 or even 4 mag dedicated on longish range fox, i dont think it as good as having a GOOD 10 mag system.

I dont doubt that top end tubed dedicated give.s the best n/v picture, but most of these's come with no warranty, (because of where they come from ???) they can be damaged by light, lasers, muzzle flash, and recoil, and price's second hand tend to be £2,000+, its a lot of money, and a lot of risk, when the drone pro is as good as it is.

Hope some of my n/v experience is of help to others.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Good review. I'm tempted to sell my 14 and put one on the 223. Was impressed after looking through 1
    Atb Steve

nice review Dave

Great review Dave , not bad for a Yorkiebar!!!!!
    joking aside glad we got you converted !!!!
    atb brian

Its also a great unit to use on an
    air rifle
    I use mine on my air wolf MVT usually as a x5 and its superb, don't need the front x10 all of the time at my ranges
    at the time of buying I was looking at quality and cost and warrantee and back up
    I bought a photon and was utterly disappointed I wanted a unit as clear on a night as a top class scope during the day
    I am so pleased I went for the drone it cost a lot more than the photon (4x) is it 4x better yes its 10x better
    and as mentioned above this unit will last for years
    the picture quality is outstanding as is the build I use the ring-mount Picatinny rail, and face it rearward for my t20
    and have no problem, I take the sight off when I put my gun away and it aligns every time
    If anyone is unsure about this unit, don't be it is top class
    put away a few quid every month and you wont miss it,then you can shoot on the next set of dark nights with a drone pro
    roll on the autumn

Sold the pvs14 and bought a drone. Money well spent
    Atb steve

I am glad Dave you finally saw the light, and got the drone Pro,as i had stated
    many times its the best Digital nv currently available.
    atb brian