Thread: Any idea?

Any idea?

My step father has just rang to say a mate is selling an "old air rifle" and he thought I might be interested.
    The description goes like this - In a leather bound box, looks like a cane, has a leather covered cylinder that you pump with the most exquisite silver pump, it comes with a rifled brass barrel and a smooth barrel, two moulds, one for a ball shot for the smooth and a pointed slug for the rifled. Everything is absolutely pristine, oh and the trigger is like a button on the side of the barrel. Apparently his friend put it over the chrono fully pumped and got near 100 ft/lbs. So depending on the calibre, potentially section one.
    Any ideas please gents and a rough idea what I should offer?
    Regards,
    Jamie.

Without a photo or saying what it actually is (make, model etc) it is not possible to give a realistic opinion.

Sorry, but true.

Whatever it is, it is worth a fair bit.

Almost certainly an antique / obsolete cal bla bla bla so the issue of power does not come into it, I think... perhaps...

Try contacting user fenny for more info.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    My step father has just rang to say a mate is selling an "old air rifle" and he thought I might be interested.
    The description goes like this - In a leather bound box, looks like a cane, has a leather covered cylinder that you pump with the most exquisite silver pump, it comes with a rifled brass barrel and a smooth barrel, two moulds, one for a ball shot for the smooth and a pointed slug for the rifled. Everything is absolutely pristine, oh and the trigger is like a button on the side of the barrel. Apparently his friend put it over the chrono fully pumped and got near 100 ft/lbs. So depending on the calibre, potentially section one.
    Any ideas please gents and a rough idea what I should offer?
    Regards,
    Jamie.
    As I understand it, the issue of power doesn't come into to it unless you use it...

It sounds like an air cane and a fancy one at that. They sell for several hundred pounds, although I don't know how much this one is worth.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Cool A caution

I wouldn't do that "fully pumped" thing with a antique air cane. If it blows up you will more than "shoot your eye out!"

I know this doesn't help but about 3 weeks ago there was one in an auction with an estimate of £350 on it and within 3 days there was one on offer at Newark Arms Fair for £850. It's not impossible that they were the same gun. While the right auction is almost certainly the best way to establish it's true value hawking it round an arms fair and seeing what you're offered would allow you to retain possession.

I agree with Trevor regarding using it. The traditional measure of the power of these is the number of dustbins they'll shoot through.

Good luck with it. I hope you end up owning it for a sum you're happy with.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Firstly, Mick, your bang on! My mum and her husband sell antiques and this mate of theirs showed it to them at Newark!
    Thanks everyone for replying.