Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is HFT suitable for newbies?

Is HFT suitable for newbies?

So i think i posted my 'Hi i'm new' thread late in december last year after a trip to Ronnie sunshines and using one of their hire guns, since then i've been back once more with a hire gun, purchased myself an R10 VC .177 which I have fitted with a Viper 10x44 Scope and now put about 500 pellets through it at Ronnies, shooting 10 yard targets at home and this weekend i went to LVAGC and zero'd my setup at 35 yards and spent some time on the plinking range there...

Now i have no problems saying i'm new, have a fairly good hit rate on the closer stuff <35 Yards but pretty poor at distances any greater or the really small targets...

I guess what i'm wondering is should i aim for a minimum standard before trying a round of HFT?

I know a single shot magazine is recommended for HFT but is it really that much of a pain using a normal one?

I guess i just dont want to completely embarrass myself and being completely new to shooting i don't really know what to expect :/

Also they run a 'Extreme rested' competition, does anyone know what that entails? Would my setup be suitable or is it the realms of higher magnification scopes?

Cheers in advance

Paul

Don't know anything about "extreme rested" comps but I can't see any reason why you shouldn't get stuck right into a regular HFT comp. No one is going to spit on you if you don't clear the course and your combo sounds ideal. However, the BSA mag is a pain to pop in and out between pegs so I'd invest in a single shot adaptor. Good luck.

David
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

Thanks David, if i wake from my nightshift at a reasonable hour i think i'll try my hand at some range finding this coming Saturday afternoon and see how that goes, if i can at least 'face plate' some of the further targets i think i'll feel a lot better about taking part the week after.

I shall add a single shot to my shopping list when payday comes around

Cheers

Paul
    BSA R10 MKII VC .177
    MTC Viper 10x44

Some good tips here Paul http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/tag/getting-started/
    Get stuck in mate, but beware, it becomes addictive.

I'm sure you will be absolutely fine some real nice guys at Lea Valley, I'm sure they will all help you out.
    Daystate MK4 ST Burris FullfieldII
    Even a broken watch tells the right time twice a day
    http://kibworthairgunclub.freeforums.org/index.php

Hi, I'm not from your area but I would say YES definitely try HFT even if you are fairly new.

I started shooting last May & shot my first HFT in July, it was brilliant. You will be partnered, no doubt, with someone with experience to help with rules etc.

My objective was to hit the target (plate) even if I didn't aim for the kill zone however I did knock over a few and scored 42 out of 60. I've now got the HFT bug & try to shoot as often as possible.

Everyone I've ever met either on home shoot or other events have been really welcoming, you've got nothing to loose.

Let us know how it went.

Thanks guys, yeah i'd be aiming for nothing more than faceplate's for the first couple of times with anything else being a bonus, might as well give it a go
    BSA R10 MKII VC .177
    MTC Viper 10x44

Yes, go along and shoot a comp. Everyone I've ever shot with in the 5 years I've been doing it has been helpful and informative.

You'll find plenty of helpful advice around about ranging; my "pet" distance is 15 yards, so that if I am good at recognising that, then multiples of x2 (35) and x3 (45) give me a good initial idea of range.

Explain that you are a newcomer and most clubs will pair you with a more experienced shooter who'll keep you right.

If you are located in Ware you are within reach of some good clubs: LVAGC, Maldon & District; Cambridge HFT; Springfield ARC. Plus you can get to Pete's Airgun Farm so you can set up your kit on a 45 yard indoor range.
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

Thanks Kieth, yeah its LVAGC i'm thinking of as just on my probationary visits there now (so i can shoot a comp and get a visit signed off at the same time) once i sort out insurance i'll be down to petes for some longer range practice in a windless enviroment.

Thanks

Paul
    BSA R10 MKII VC .177
    MTC Viper 10x44

Shot my first HFT this time last year with an un-tuned, twangy, HW57 in 22, was a lot of fun, and keep going back

While I have been thru a few other rifles trying to find the ultimate HFT Springer, I keep going back to the .22 HW57, all be its quite well tuned now, OK I can't hope to hit the bonus points on the longer shots, still have a lot of fun
    Thanks - Geoff.

I've just bought a .22 HW57 for our club's .22 class comps, as I found my old 77 much too front-heavy. I'm glad to hear it's effective and look forward to giving it a whirl on Sunday.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJC View Post
    So i think i posted my 'Hi i'm new' thread late in december last year after a trip to Ronnie sunshines and using one of their hire guns, since then i've been back once more with a hire gun, purchased myself an R10 VC .177 which I have fitted with a Viper 10x44 Scope and now put about 500 pellets through it at Ronnies, shooting 10 yard targets at home and this weekend i went to LVAGC and zero'd my setup at 35 yards and spent some time on the plinking range there...

Now i have no problems saying i'm new, have a fairly good hit rate on the closer stuff <35 Yards but pretty poor at distances any greater or the really small targets...

I guess what i'm wondering is should i aim for a minimum standard before trying a round of HFT?

I know a single shot magazine is recommended for HFT but is it really that much of a pain using a normal one?

I guess i just dont want to completely embarrass myself and being completely new to shooting i don't really know what to expect :/

Also they run a 'Extreme rested' competition, does anyone know what that entails? Would my setup be suitable or is it the realms of higher magnification scopes?

Cheers in advance

Paul

Go go for it mate. Everyone starts somewhere and LV Is a nice place to start. Also have Springfield this Saturday and again, very nice place, friendly and chilled out. Great club to join as its 7 days a week membership. Guess it's not as close to you though.

The world HFT competition is next weekend so I would guess LV will be busy with people getting a last bit of practise in before shooting on Sunday and Monday at Kelmarsh. I will be

Make sure you let the organisers know you've not shot HFT before and they'll stick you with someone who can guide you though the rules.

Have fun, hope to see you at LV!

cheers
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I've just bought a .22 HW57 for our club's .22 class comps, as I found my old 77 much too front-heavy. I'm glad to hear it's effective and look forward to giving it a whirl on Sunday.
    It will need a tune! Mine was transformed by Wonky Donky on here fitting one of his kits, I did try tuning it myself first with a commercial kit, but his is 1000 times better!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Thanks all, i shall have a look at Springfield, i don't mind a little bit of travel if i have too

Went to LVAGC to work on some rangefinding yesterday, have now got myself a little card made up that will either help me or confuse the hell out of me lol, didn't get as long as i hoped as an air leak stopped play, luckily after a strip down it turned out to just be some crap in the fill port valve, planning some trigger adjustments today before it goes back together then if nothing comes up this Saturday then i might just go for it
    BSA R10 MKII VC .177
    MTC Viper 10x44

Right, have made some trigger adjustments, shimmed out the side to side play, shimmed the shear to reduce the stage one travel, set the stage 2 pressure nicely and shimmed under the trigger spring guide which works to increase the stage one trigger pressure slightly and reduce the end travel of stage 2, it now all feels very smooth and tight, now i just need to fire some test rounds through it tomorrow to make sure it works as well as it feels and then rezero the scope
    BSA R10 MKII VC .177
    MTC Viper 10x44