Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identification Required Please

Identification Required Please

Hi Folks

I was recently given this fine example of the gunmaker's art but have no idea what it is, though I should imagine it's a Diana of some description as it's a bit like a b2 that's been on steroids.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5335b782.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...ps94b8dde0.jpg

Someone has even gone to the trouble of fitting a couple of scope rails:-

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9cb7e72b.jpg

The trigger guard is cast and has a forward facing adjustment screw hole :-

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...ps97aeaa98.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...psa63804e0.jpg

The barrel is tapered and is fitted to rounded to breech:-

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...ps66454be3.jpg

Yes the barrel does bend upwards a little.

The cylinder is 28 mm id.

Thanks for looking

All the best Mick

I.D

Hi Mick,
    I'd say it's a prewar Diana 35. These were made about 1929-1930 with that style of stock.
    I parted with one last year ( somewhat better condition than yours...).

Cheers
    torrens

Any date stamp on the end of but ,never seen one if the flesh nice find .you going to work your magic on it ?.

Quote Originally Posted by torrens View Post
    Hi Mick,
    I'd say it's a prewar Diana 35. These were made about 1929-1930 with that style of stock.
    I parted with one last year ( somewhat better condition than yours...).

Cheers
    torrens
    Cheers torrens

I originally thought it was either a D27 or a Milbro Diana of some sort.

If it's as old as you say I suppose I better repair it and blue it.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for an appropriate scope for it as well.

Thanks again

All the best Mick

It is most definitely

a pre war diana 35 , made from 1927-39
    here is a pic of mine
    http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...psc319e382.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    Any date stamp on the end of but ,never seen one if the flesh nice find .you going to work your magic on it ?.

Hi Martin

Would the stamp be on the steel butt plate or on the end of the woodwork ?

I haven't cleaned too much rust off as I like to show folks the state I get given guns in.

I will attack this at some stage and try to restore it when I have a bit more time.

I'll have to go and have a look at the Vintage Diana Forum again now I know what I'm looking for.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by aircol View Post
    a pre war diana 35 , made from 1927-39
    here is a pic of mine
    http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...psc319e382.jpg
    Very nice

This one will have to go on my to do list.

All the best Mick

Date

I think the one I had was discretely date-stamped beneath the breech block, hidden by the cocking link unless you broke the barrel open. Strangely that was the only stamped marking ( no cylinder Diana goddess logo ) so it may have been for export and re-branding.

torrens

I think the one I had was discretely date-stamped beneath the breech block, hidden by the cocking link unless you broke the barrel open. Strangely that was the only stamped marking ( no cylinder Diana goddess logo ) so it may have been for export and re-branding.

torrens
    Cheers torrens

You were spot on with your identification and info, yours looks a lot better than mine:-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/66282...28July+1931%29

All the best Mick

Do you remember the date ?

torrens
    I am currious because i know some has the diana logo and maybe some dont.
    http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6c429ed1.jpg
    Found the answer ;-)

Date stamp

torrens
    Mick , I have never seen one and read very little on them but believe if not your example it was the next incarnation that is supposed to be rare ,I would have suspected a stamp on wooden butt end but as torrens has had one I would go with his knowledge than mine .
    I think this is a great fixer upper ,I love the look of the pree war rifles especialy from Germany.
    But my collection doesn't extend back to this era.
    That I think I need to change.
    Theirs nothing better than a find that begs for t l c ,
    Can't wait for progress and pictures..

Atb

As Torrens and Keld have said, it's a late '20s or early '30s Diana 35. It could be called the '1st series' pre-War 35 because in 1936 or so it was upgraded to the scarce DRP version of the 35, with better trigger but otherwise very similar. John Walter said the big model 35 was derived from the smaller mod 25, which predated it by a couple of years.

I've only seen one that lacked any Diana goddess marking at all and it obviously had a replacement trigger block, so it was probably on there originally.

I think the earliest versions of these rifles had a goddess on the trigger block and it was then moved forward onto the cylinder, where most of the known examples have them. If you look at Larry Hannusch's article on the pre-War Diana 45, which mirrored model 35 production, he makes this observation about the 45.

The date stamps on early Dianas that had steel butt plates were on the underside of the breech, as Torrens says, although I've seen one that had no date stamp there either.

By coincidence, I was just photographing a 1st series 35 last week and it had the "Germany" filed off the cylinder. Some time ago I also photographed a later DRP model 35 that had a similar modification, suggesting that during or maybe shortly after the War, the word 'Germany' was so offensive that people mutilated their valuable rifles to disguise them!

Here's a pic of that mutilated 1st series 35.

Best of luck restoring your example, Mick. You've got your work cut out! i don't know what scope would fit such spaced out mounts - except maybe one of those Winchester WW1 sniper jobbies, but they cost a fortune.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Are you honestly going to be doing this up? as I thought you where having a bit of a tongue in cheek piss take.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Cheers torrens

You were spot on with your identification and info, yours looks a lot better than mine:-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/66282...28July+1931%29

All the best Mick
    Beautiful rifle, it must have an HOX spring inside to kill a polar bear..!

The stock attachment on yours reminds me of an Afghan matchlock musket I've got, rawhide strips soaked in water, and shrunk on. Damascus steel, I suspect it was knocked up out of old nails in the time of the Raj.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I've found a serial number :)

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As Torrens and Keld have said, it's a late '20s or early '30s Diana 35. It could be called the '1st series' pre-War 35 because in 1936 or so it was upgraded to the scarce DRP version of the 35, with better trigger but otherwise very similar. John Walter said the big model 35 was derived from the smaller mod 25, which predated it by a couple of years.

I've only seen one that lacked any Diana goddess marking at all and it obviously had a replacement trigger block, so it was probably on there originally.

I think the earliest versions of these rifles had a goddess on the trigger block and it was then moved forward onto the cylinder, where most of the known examples have them. If you look at Larry Hannusch's article on the pre-War Diana 45, which mirrored model 35 production, he makes this observation about the 45.

The date stamps on early Dianas that had steel butt plates were on the underside of the breech, as Torrens says, although I've seen one that had no date stamp there either.

By coincidence, I was just photographing a 1st series 35 last week and it had the "Germany" filed off the cylinder. Some time ago I also photographed a later DRP model 35 that had a similar modification, suggesting that during or maybe shortly after the War, the word 'Germany' was so offensive that people mutilated their valuable rifles to disguise them!

Here's a pic of that mutilated 1st series 35.

Best of luck restoring your example, Mick. You've got your work cut out! i don't know what scope would fit such spaced out mounts - except maybe one of those Winchester WW1 sniper jobbies, but they cost a fortune.

Thanks for the added info Danny

After sanding some rust off mine I can find no date on the steel butt pad and no stampings on the breech block.

All I can find is the number 288 stamped on the underside of the cylinder just forward of the front trigger guard lug --- I will try to take a picture of it tomorrow.

I think your right with the Winchester scope, as someone went to the trouble of fitting the mounts I may leave them in place as they add a little touch to the gun's history.

All the best Mick