Thread: HW 77 Dilemma ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

HW 77 Dilemma ?

Picked up a mint 1987 HW77 .22 last year. It belonged to an old Gentleman in Lanchashire who seldom used it.
    The best thing about it from my point of view being a southpaw was that it has a left handed factory stock ! and these are not common.
    The gun is pristine and shoots at 10.8 ft lb which is OK, but a little down on power although I can live with that.....I think ?

And thats the dilemma, do I simply leave it at that as an "untouched collectable" or do I "tweak" the internals a little to fine tune things ?

I have no intention of using it in the field so if at all, its only ever going to used for future fun in my retirement maybe ?

What would YOU do ?
    “An airgun or two”………

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Picked up a mint 1987 HW77 .22 last year. It belonged to an old Gentleman in Lanchashire who seldom used it.
    The best thing about it from my point of view being a southpaw was that it has a left handed factory stock ! and these are not common.
    The gun is pristine and shoots at 10.8 ft lb which is OK, but a little down on power although I can live with that.....I think ?

And thats the dilemma, do I simply leave it at that as an "untouched collectable" or do I "tweak" the internals a little to fine tune things ?

I have no intention of using it in the field so if at all, its only ever going to used for future fun in my retirement maybe ?

What would YOU do ?
    I have done a few of these now (in .177) for guys at the club, and the high 10's is a real sweet spot for these power wise I have found to make a nice shooting gun. If it were mine and seeing as they come apart in 3 mins, I would carefully take apart, clean and re-lube and see what happens, but leave it at that

ATB, Ed

if its accurate? shes happy. your happy id leave her be.

Ed, Growler, I'm liking what you're saying !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    What would YOU do ?
    Definitely leave as is.

More and more people seem to be fitting kits now. So if it's in pristine condition, and a less common left hand variant, then when retirement finally does come around it will be a pleasure to use one that's not only a little bit special but also in unadulterated factory standard condition - boing'n'all .
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Definitely leave as is.

More and more people seem to be fitting kits now. So if it's in pristine condition, and a less common left hand variant, then when retirement finally does come around it will be a pleasure to use one that's not only a little bit special but also in unadulterated factory standard condition - boing'n'all .
    That's what I was getting at.....How many 80's or MK1 TX's are around now as they left the factory?....A nice unmessed with gun is always nice !

ATB, Ed

You've all convinced me, its staying as it is. Be cheaper anyway and its a smashing airgun !

Thanks,

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    That's what I was getting at.....How many 80's or MK1 TX's are around now as they left the factory?....A nice unmessed with gun is always nice !

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed,

Unmolested MK1 HW80s might still be ticking along nicely at around 15 FPE!

From the days where nobody bothered much, or owned a chronoscope!

ATB - Phil