Thread: Fultons of Bisley, Wonder Wads smell?

Fultons of Bisley, Wonder Wads smell?

Hi All,
    Ok, call me wierd but does anyone know the composition of these wonder wads?
    I get that there is a good chance of beeswax and olive oil but what is the "smell" ?
    It smells like TCP? (I quite like it)
    Anyway I'm looking for some 4-5mm thick wool wadding to make my own wads in .44 cal. As I asume you need an 11mm punch and pure wool wadding, beeswax and olive oil but I want the "smell" too. (told you I was wierd!)
    Any suggestions on what it could be?

All help appreciated
    John

Same stuff that they use to make Bore Butter, I reckon.

You could always try impregnating your wads with Zambuck ointment, then, like Ballistol and Hoppes #9, it would also make a great graze/wound treatment!

tac

mmmm...wonder wads smell nice.

Hi Tac, of course zambuc!
    Why did I not think of that.
    Brilliant thank you.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Same stuff that they use to make Bore Butter, I reckon.

You could always try impregnating your wads with Zambuck ointment, then, like Ballistol and Hoppes #9, it would also make a great graze/wound treatment!

tac

Look up Wonder Lube on Google. It's yellow, stinks like TCP and its what they soak Wonder Wads in.
    Robin

the smell

The smell comes from oil of wintergreen, you can get it from fleabay about a tenner for 200ml, gives your home made lubes that shop bought smell

Quote Originally Posted by richard577 View Post
    The smell comes from oil of wintergreen, you can get it from fleabay about a tenner for 200ml, gives your home made lubes that shop bought smell
    That's the stuff? Reminds me of the school play yard!

tac

mmmm...wonder wads smell nice.

Thanks guys, next stop flebay. Then probably divorce court for stinking / burning out the kitchen!

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    That's the stuff? Reminds me of the school play yard!

tac

Cool

Not exactly "Wonder Wads", but this is what I do.......

I make my own wads from 3mm wool felt sheet that I bought from an seller (if I remember when I get home I'll look at my purchase history and get the details or you!). The sheet isn't huge but I reckon I'll get about 2000 or so .44 / .36 cal wads from it. On the subject of punches I tried to find a 1/2 inch Priory punch but all I can find are metric ones that don't quite match the .44 bore (either slightly too large or too small), but I figured near enough was good enough for the felt.

For the "lube" I mixed up a solution of 85% pork lard and 15% beeswax, heated in a container sat in a pan of boiling water - not directly on the heat. Once thoroughly melted / mixed together poured into a shallow tray to a depth of about 2mm and left at room temperature to set.

Here I begged an old .44 mag case from a club member, drilled out and enlarged the primer pocket and used it to "stamp" out lard / beeswax cakes of the right cal. Used a .357 case for the .36 Colt.

When loading its; remove cylinder, powder in, felt wad in followed by lard / beeswax cake, and gently tamp down. Re-fit cylinder, load balls / bullets, cap up, let fly and enjoy the smell of BACON floating across the range........
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Wonderlube smells like germoline, mmm!