Thread: Grips for Feinwerkbau P44?

Grips for Feinwerkbau P44?

Firstly, many thanks to everyone who provided some very useful advice in my previous thread regarding upgrading my old Rohm Twinmaster. Following a very useful trip up to City Air Weapons in Solihull I'm now the proud owner of a FWB P44.

The issue now is finding some left hand grips, from what I can tell there's three options here; the original Minelli ones, aftermarket Morini's and lastly Rink. I quite like the idea of the
    Rink laminated ones as I think they'll make a nice match but is there really that much difference between any of these?

Thanks in advance

I bought a FWB P44 from a fellow club member about seven months ago; it came complete with Rink grips. I owned a Morini 162EI at the time which I have since sold but I hung on to it for two or three months because I found the Rink grips took a bit of getting used to after shooting the Morini for five or six years; they were quite different, but since they were fitted to two different pistols it was difficult to make direct comparisons and I then took the decision to sell the Morini. Now I am very happy with my final choice and my average is creeping back up again. I have no experience of Minelli grips so I cannot offer an opinion on these; also I am right handed and LH grips always used to come at a premium price although I am not certain if this is still the case. Good shooting!

From what I can gather, the Rink Laminated Grips are mildly heavier than just bog standard walnut grips.

Other than that, there really isn't that much to choose between them other than price and availability. But bear in mind that, as colourful and pretty as the Rink Laminate Grip is, you'll be very afraid of altering it in any way to make it fit your hand properly in it, as it would ruin the aesthetics of the laminate.

So unless you want to spend hideous amounts of money to go to Germany and have the grip made to fit by Rink themselves, I would steer clear of the laminate one for that reason.

Just remember that whatever you choose to get, it will need to be altered to fit your hand properly by adding filler in some 'empty' areas and sanding off some other areas. Without having a good fitting grip, no consitancy can be attained when shooting.

Take a look at some of the stuff on here to help you fit the pistol grip:

http://www.tenrings.co.uk/index2.html

Atb, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    From what I can gather, the Rink Laminated Grips are mildly heavier than just bog standard walnut grips.

Other than that, there really isn't that much to choose between them other than price and availability. But bear in mind that, as colourful and pretty as the Rink Laminate Grip is, you'll be very afraid of altering it in any way to make it fit your hand properly in it, as it would ruin the aesthetics of the laminate.

So unless you want to spend hideous amounts of money to go to Germany and have the grip made to fit by Rink themselves, I would steer clear of the laminate one for that reason.

Just remember that whatever you choose to get, it will need to be altered to fit your hand properly by adding filler in some 'empty' areas and sanding off some other areas. Without having a good fitting grip, no consitancy can be attained when shooting.

Take a look at some of the stuff on here to help you fit the pistol grip:

http://www.tenrings.co.uk/index2.html

Atb, Chris
    Agree on the above, Laminate will make even small modification's difficult to blend with the grip, Go for the walnut and when you eventually have it fitted correctly You can always re-stain it if you want it looking good, The most important factor though is how it fit's your hand and this takes a fair while to determine, Good link and worth reading.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I didn't make it clear in my earlier post but the Rink grips fitted to my P44 are actually walnut and not laminate. For the purposes of target shooting aesthetics really does not come into it. I would also be concerned about filing or adding packing to laminate grips. I recently dug out my old FWB Mod65 (an early recoiless design, pre PCP) whose grips are still adorned with patches of grey 'plastic padding' and file marks in my (successful) attempts at matching the contours of the grips to my hand. It doesn't look very pretty but it worked and I can still even now after not shooting it regularly for 18 years or so still score 180+ ex 200 with it! Making the grip fit your hand is much more important than its appearance. I have just looked at the 'Tendrings' site which is impressive and must be immensely useful to anyone just taking up the sport or, indeed, experienced shooters.