Thread: LP10 or LP50?

LP10 or LP50?

Hi

I'm new to pistols and want to get a reasonably high end pistol with the view of entering competitions some time in the future once I've honed in my skills a bit.

I am drawn to the LP10 or LP50 and know the LP50 is a 5 shot pistol as opposed to the LP10 which is a single shot. Having read some info on them, the LP10 is used more in competitions.

As I am new to this I am just struggling a bit to understand the market for the LP50?

Anyway - I would like to know if I was going to get one of these (secondhand) which one should I get?

Cheers

Carlo

The LP10 is used for the 60 shot air pistol match (ap60), the LP50 is used for everything else! Post handgun ban all of the disciplines that were shot with .22lr pistols are now shot with 5 shot air pistols. Rapid Fire, Standard Pistol, Sport Pistol and Falling Plates all require these pistols.
    Regards,
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

The LP10 is easier to load for the AP60 standard competitions, the trigger is better and it is cheaper than the LP50. If buying second hand you will be able to buy a newer LP10 for the money, also there are fewer competitions for the 5 shot pistols.

GL
    Evo 10 Compact.

Hi Fierynick

Thanks for the clarification between the two. Amazing how there are two different guns for these events!!

Thanks

Carlo

Hi silvershooter

I was erring on the side of the LP10 as I have seen this is cheaper (secondhand) but didn't know about the superior trigger. Well it looks like I know which way I'm going then.

Thanks

Carlo

A single shot magazine is available for the LP50, but hey, the 5 shot is such FUN.
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

Fierynick

The LP10 is used for the 60 shot air pistol match (ap60), the LP50 is used for everything else! Post handgun ban all of the disciplines that were shot with .22lr pistols are now shot with 5 shot air pistols. Rapid Fire, Standard Pistol, Sport Pistol and Falling Plates all require these pistols.
    What Fierynick says is the case however the multi-shot matches are regrettably few and far between, they have never really caught on. Our club has a set of Haring turning targets but I can't recall the last time anyone used them. I think that it's pretty safe to say that 95%+ of 10m air pistol competition is single shot and for that the single shot adaptors are something of a pain.

Best course is to go along to a club that shoots air pistol, find out what they do and ask for advice. The premium that you will pay for an LP50 is not worth it unless you are going to make use of the multi shot facility. For single shot shooting it is probably disadvantageous.

Rutty

Corky - I love your attitude !!!

Rutty - Thanks for the sound advice. I think from what has been said I will be looking for an LP10 or 10E.

If you're looking for a single shot air pistol then you won't go far wrong with an LP10, you could also consider a Morini, FWB P44, Walther or a host of other pistols. Try as many pistols as you can before spending a lot of money on one!
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

Yes that's a good idea but trying to find a shop with all those in stock is going to be tough. I suppose I could go to a club and see if members have a selection of the guns you've listed and ask if I can try them?

I started 10m air pistol shooting at the start of the year with a Rohm twinmaster, which is either single or 8 shot. Because of the 8 shot Rohm, I really really wanted to buy the LP50, some advice was for, but some strong advice against.

After a couple of weeks at the club seeing different pistols, I realised that the LP50 wasnt the right choice, so went for the single shot route. (Walther LP400)

I would spend a lot of time conciderig the LP50, especially if most clubs / competitions near you are going to be single shot.

OK, im a newbie, and may not know too much, but I have just gone thru the same decision!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Yes that's a good idea but trying to find a shop with all those in stock is going to be tough. I suppose I could go to a club and see if members have a selection of the guns you've listed and ask if I can try them?
    You are unlikely to find a shop that has all the makes/models in stock, but a couple of places to start looking are Surrey Guns or the NSRA Shop at Bisley. Best to give them a ring to enquire what they actually have available. Now, you will get to look at them and may get to handle them but I wouldn't guarantee that you will be able to shoot them and that is the critical bit.

So, what to do?

Find a club that supports the discipline that you are interested in. If it's an established well run club it will have club guns available for new members to learn the basic techniques. Now these will not be this year's model, or even last year's, in fact some may be bordering on the antique but they should be more than adequate to learn on. Our club has a FWB Model 2 CO2 pistol that must be about 25 years old, but it still has as good a trigger as some of the modern offerings. Shoot the club guns; you will learn about their differences, how triggers can be equally good but feel quite dissimilar. How balance varies and what can be done about it. What range of grip angle suits you. Talk to other members about their equipment and keep an eye on the For Sale board. A club member "trading up" will have something to dispose of and secondhand PCPs can be change hands for £300-900.

However there is another very important factor. Just because a gun was used to win the Olympics\World Championship\British Open\Monthly Cub Competition and has all the bells and whistles doesn't mean it's the one for you. you must "like" it, you must feel "comfortable" with it and last but by no means least you must "enjoy" shooting it. It musn't be a chore every time you pick it up, you shouldn't finish a series thinking "I'm glad that's over". Now a lot of that is quite subjective, but it is important because if you don't acknowledge those factors then making progress will be much more difficult.

To summarise, find a good club and go along and learn. Don't be in a hurry to spend your pennies until you have reasonably good idea about what suits you.

Hope that this helps.

Rutty

PS
    Almost the first thing we tell new members is don't buy anything until:

a. You have decided whether or not shooting is in fact what interests you.
    b. You have enough knowledge to decide what you want and need. Can be two different things
    c. If you must buy something, then buy a pair of ear defenders. They are at least useful for other activities.
    Last edited by Rutty; 09-04-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Rutty

Some good sound advice there and I will be looking to join a club very soon and depending on their selection of guns I may also go to Surrey Guns or NSRA shop too. I appreciate that a good gun may not suit me so I need to try out a few.

Right better get onto NSRA for a list of clubs.

Cheers

Carlo