Thread: Colt Navy Problems

Colt Navy Problems

I've recently got myself a Pietta Colt Navy and am having trouble with the revolvers locking bolt...
    I noticed when at full cock the cylinder could still move slightly for some chambers, but it was quite tight for other chambers, I noticed some burring on the cylinder locking grooves which I have removed, but still finding the cylinder lock a bit slack, I guess this is expected of an old gun.
    Upon opening the gun I also found that the locking bolt is a bit slack on its pin, has anyone needed to remove this slack with a brass bush/collet at all?

Gun seems to shoot all over the place for some shots, dead on target on others...

Cheers

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Graysmoke View Post
    I've recently got myself a Pietta Colt Navy and am having trouble with the revolvers locking bolt...
    I noticed when at full cock the cylinder could still move slightly for some chambers, but it was quite tight for other chambers, I noticed some burring on the cylinder locking grooves which I have removed, but still finding the cylinder lock a bit slack, I guess this is expected of an old gun.
    Upon opening the gun I also found that the locking bolt is a bit slack on its pin, has anyone needed to remove this slack with a brass bush/collet at all?

Gun seems to shoot all over the place for some shots, dead on target on others...

Cheers

Tom
    Hmmmmmmmmmm. Sounds to me like all the parts that move and lock the cylinder in place are well worn out. The parts you need are the hand and spring and the cylinder stop. All are available from Filli Pietta if you contact them with the serial number, but you will have to do some fitting and fettling yourself.

If Pietta can't help, then Dixie Gun Works, Inc., Gunpowder Lane, PO Box 130, Union City TN 382821 will certainly have the parts, although, again, you'll have to carry out the fine fettlement yourself.

DGW parts are numbered as follows -

Hand and spring - MP1813
    Cylinder stop - MP1545

Hope this is not unhelpful.

tac

I'm starting to think that too, I've managed to get myself a spare parts kit, but the old parts are different in shape to the new ones, will have to do some careful filing to get them similar.

I'll take a look at the hand and spring on it to see how its worn, I just hope I can get it shooting straight-ish

Cheers!

- Tom

navy colt

Cheers

Tom
    Henry krank most likely will be able to help

Hey there,

Yeah I got my parts from Henry Krank, The new cylinder lock I bought seems to be smaller than the old one which doesnt help, does anybody know if Uberti parts are bigger than Pietta's nowadays? I guess Pietta must have changed all their part sizes at least once in the last 30 years...

Cheers

Tom

colt navy

Hey there,

Yeah I got my parts from Henry Krank, The new cylinder lock I bought seems to be smaller than the old one which doesnt help, does anybody know if Uberti parts are bigger than Pietta's nowadays? I guess Pietta must have changed all their part sizes at least once in the last 30 years...

Cheers

Tom
    Hi Tom, I would get back to henry's gunsmith and have a word with him ,he may very well be able to help, Spily.