Thread: Neck sizer/de primer

Neck sizer/de primer

I was treated to one of the above in .303 for my birthday. Using it the other night i noticed that some of the primers were coming out with a distinct "pop" and exiting significantly faster than some others. This has never happened when using a full length case sizer.

Can anyone shed any light on this? First immpression is that there is some unburnt primer powder left and is somehow being ignited by the extractor pin but with my limited knowledge I don't think it likely.

Just interested on any other thoughts.

Cheers

Clive

No thinking going on then

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Never heard if that?

Are you getting any smell/smoke?

The neck only die should need much less force than a FL die.

Not over lubing and hydraulic/Air pressure shifting some rather than the pin?

Some primer pockets very tight/primer tight fit after firing?

Sorry, just clutching at straws to be honest. I cannot see how unless they are dodgy anything much would be left in a primer after the hell and corruption that goes on in there.

Have you had any kick back (handle on press being moved by said pop) or scorch marks on pin?

Any other similar makings on cases that have done the same (pressure marks or anything that might cause a tight primer pocket).

Were these cases you primed or a mixture of military cases with staked primers?
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

I De-capped some primed cases today and had the pop, nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Never heard if that?

Are you getting any smell/smoke?

The neck only die should need much less force than a FL die.

Not over lubing and hydraulic/Air pressure shifting some rather than the pin?

Some primer pockets very tight/primer tight fit after firing?

Sorry, just clutching at straws to be honest. I cannot see how unless they are dodgy anything much would be left in a primer after the hell and corruption that goes on in there.

Have you had any kick back (handle on press being moved by said pop) or scorch marks on pin?

Any other similar makings on cases that have done the same (pressure marks or anything that might cause a tight primer pocket).

Were these cases you primed or a mixture of military cases with staked primers?
    No to all of the above and as I said I didn't honestly think there would be any powder left in the primer. It just seemed an odd thing to happen and wondered if anyone else had had the same.

Many thanks for your reply

Cheers

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner. View Post
    I De-capped some primed cases today and had the pop, nothing to worry about.
    Cheers Spanner,nothing odd then? I assume it's just a tight fit then But it is a bit odd that it never happened with the F/L die.

Ta muchly

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by clive.22 View Post
    Cheers Spanner,nothing odd then? I assume it's just a tight fit then But it is a bit odd that it never happened with the F/L die.

Ta muchly

Clive
    I was using a Neck Sizing Die to Decap, never had the sound with a full length sizing Die either.

Not really, the resitance on a neck sizer only is much less than full length, and even less on a de capper only.

I have a specific de capper that literally just runs down the case without any friction at all (Dave from teh shooting shed made it up from a Lee die fo rmy .308 Palma cases). Put it in a forster die and you barely notice the resitance de-capping only.

Quote Originally Posted by clive.22 View Post
    No to all of the above and as I said I didn't honestly think there would be any powder left in the primer. It just seemed an odd thing to happen and wondered if anyone else had had the same.

Many thanks for your reply

Cheers

Clive
    OK, so no to all of the combustion related symptoms (and you are not picking bits of die or primer out of your ceiling) so it has to be resitance then.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    OK, so no to all of the combustion related symptoms (and you are not picking bits of die or primer out of your ceiling) so it has to be resitance then.
    It would seem so, but if it is resistance related, why doesn't it happen with the full length sizer?