Thread: Aliant 2400 behind 240 grain lead .44 mag

Aliant 2400 behind 240 grain lead .44 mag

Hi I've loaded some 2400 powder, 18.0 grains behind a GM lead bullet, 240 grain RNFP, with out Gas check, will these go OK with out leading my 20" rifle barrel up.

2400 Start 18.5 Max 20.6

Best regards Stretch :-)
    Stretch is Easily Led.

Elmer Keith (father of the 44 mag) used 22gr 2400 behind his 240gr SWC. It works for me, too!

It was different powder then and it doesn't answer my question, are the GM leads hard enough with out gas checks.
    Stretch is Easily Led.

Newbe

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchabusa View Post
    It was different powder then and it doesn't answer my question, are the GM leads hard enough with out gas checks.
    Hi,
    I have sneaked over from vintage airguns after reading your post, I don't know about GM leads as I have never bought a lead bullet in my life( a long one) but I have never experienced leading with that powder & that load, I use a 250grn swc. did use 22grn many years ago in a super blackhawk with no problems, but 18grn in my Marlin nowaday's speaks with authority, can't see any point in going higher.
    Hope this helps.
    Ellwelaxe.
    Last edited by Elwellaxe; 19-05-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: p.s. never used gas checks iether.

2400 in 44 mag

I have found that this powder will not ignite properly with large pistol primers...ie in 44mag and 44/40. Might just be the primers but I have had no problem with other powders. 18gns will give you around 1375 fps, so providing the bullets are hard cast you should be ok re the leading...assuming the 2400 ignites of course!

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    I have found that this powder will not ignite properly with large pistol primers...ie in 44mag and 44/40. Might just be the primers but I have had no problem with other powders. 18gns will give you around 1375 fps, so providing the bullets are hard cast you should be ok re the leading...assuming the 2400 ignites of course!

Mike95
    Why on earth do you want HARD boolits when the proper mix is more than adequate. Boolit fit is what it is all about; that and a good lube. Hard boolits are sold because the supplier doesn't want them to deform or arrive looking anything less than pristine when they are delivered. I mix my lead to give the right result for any velocity and vary the mix according to the use of the boolit.
    I was on Century range at 600 yards at the weekend using my Schmidt Rubin 96/11 with cast boolits at around 2000fps and hitting the black (iron sights don't help with these old eyes!) and they were not as hard (or even close) as GM boolits. The barrel was shiny and clean after 30 rounds - no leading whatsoever.
    If your powder will not ignite then I'd change primers - I use Russian made Large Pistol Primers in my 44 mag Marlin loads and they all go bang - yes with 22gr 2400.

Hard or soft?

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    Why on earth do you want HARD boolits when the proper mix is more than adequate. Boolit fit is what it is all about; that and a good lube. Hard boolits are sold because the supplier doesn't want them to deform or arrive looking anything less than pristine when they are delivered. I mix my lead to give the right result for any velocity and vary the mix according to the use of the boolit.
    I was on Century range at 600 yards at the weekend using my Schmidt Rubin 96/11 with cast boolits at around 2000fps and hitting the black (iron sights don't help with these old eyes!) and they were not as hard (or even close) as GM boolits. The barrel was shiny and clean after 30 rounds - no leading whatsoever.
    If your powder will not ignite then I'd change primers - I use Russian made Large Pistol Primers in my 44 mag Marlin loads and they all go bang - yes with 22gr 2400.
    I've been experimenting with soft cast bullets in my microgrove Marlin. We've all heard how you can only use extra hard lead in microgrove or else! Well I've been trying out the idea of bullet base upset where the back of the bullet tries to go quicker than the front while it's still in the barrel. With soft (ish) lead (6 to 12 on the BHI scale, 20 being V hard) the back of the bullet expands in diameter a tad and obturates the rifling. I always use bullets sized a thou or two above the boresize as well.The kiss of death for my Marlin is very hard lead and undersized bullets and I may just as well use buckshot in a shotgun. I've even tried driving swaged hollow based wadcutters up to 1000fps with good accuracy and no leading. The secret, as dodgyrog states, is good lube and good bullet fit. I use a homemade blend of beeswax and carnauba wax dissolved in white spirit and tumble lubed. This will give me clover leaf groups at 25 yds all day.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by Elwellaxe View Post
    Hi,
    I have sneaked over from vintage airguns after reading your post, I don't know about GM leads as I have never bought a lead bullet in my life( a long one) but I have never experienced leading with that powder & that load, I use a 250grn swc. did use 22grn many years ago in a super blackhawk with no problems, but 18grn in my Marlin nowaday's speaks with authority, can't see any point in going higher.
    Hope this helps.
    Ellwelaxe.
    Thanks for the info Elwellaxe, that's exactly what I wanted.

Best regards Stretch
    PS back in the day, my Desert Eagle load was 22 grns with 240 grn JFP, (it didn't like lead) however it didn't have a 20" barrel
    Stretch is Easily Led.

Thumbs up Same Gun Same Bullets

Hi Stretch,

I use same GM bullets and have same Marlin, I load 2400 powder at 20.1 grains and its a cracking round ! Feels good, very accurate, burns clean, no leading problems .

Cheers Voodoo

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    Hi Stretch,

I use same GM bullets and have same Marlin, I load 2400 powder at 20.1 grains and its a cracking round ! Feels good, very accurate, burns clean, no leading problems .

Cheers Voodoo
    Thanks for that Voodoo, I've made a note in my reloading book.
    Stretch is Easily Led.