Thread: TC in .357

TC in .357

Having read a fair bit about them recently, I decided to try some Truncated Cone bullets in my Marlin .357 u/l. They are from Hannams, and the same weight (158gr), and price, as the RNFP that I've always used in the past.
    Although the overall length of the TCs were the same as the RNFP, to get the crimp in the right place they had to be seated a bit higher (a turn and a half on the seating depth). I used the same load of 3.8gr of Bullseye.
    The finished ammo loaded into the gun much smoother than RNFP, which I suspect is because the TC bullets don't have the small 'step' at the base.
    Overall I can't say that I found much difference in accuracy - although I had to spend time re-zeroing the rifle as the TCs were shooting about 1.5" lower. I'm hoping that once I'm used to them, they will prove a bit more consistent - but I'll be sticking with them for the smoother loading anyway

I'm shooting a .38/.357 Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited with a Wild West 'Trigger Happy' trigger

Yep, I've used TC's for the last few years through my Marlin, and never had a problem with them loading smoothly, (apart from the one time I used Nickel cases, which didn't crimp them enough so they got pushed back into the case..!!).

I managed to get 1500 of them at Phoenix a year or so ago, and now down to the last couple of hundred, so I'll be looking for more this weekend...

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I too found TCs to be smoother to load in my Marlin, but I also found less leading and better accuracy than RNFP. Load 2.9 gn Accurate #2 (about the same as Bullseye but cleaner and meters better) and a light crimp.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

only ever shot 158gr TC in mine lever gun and LBR

accurate and smooth, job done
    Don't worry it only seems kinky the first time

I only use TC's now with 3.5grn GM3 in my Marlin .357. I get mine at my club for£5/100.
    You've got a nice rifle , but I'm not a fan of scoped lever-actions.
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO