Thread: Sako 85

Sako 85

Picked up my new Sako 85 in 22-250 stainless fluted varmint barell with laminated stock threaded for mod
    First impressions out of the box was excelent build quality and it was spotless had my rfd (bushwear) fit my scope, zeiss 3.5 - 10 x50 scope second hand but immaculate, then screw on the A Tech mod and harris bipod then 4boxes of Hornady 55gn V max and i was set, a couple of days later i was off out with a mate to one of his permissions he uses for sighting in, sighted in by eye then sent 3 rounds down range at 100 mt and got a 2 inch group, dialed in the scope to the centre of impact and sent 2 downrange it was spot on, so moved back to 150 mt and put another 3 down range and got another 2 inch group
    My mate had a crack and he was getting sub 1 inch groups proving what i knew that he is a better shot than me
    Conclusion
    Straight out of the box using factory ammo and getting superb results, Very happy with Sako, would definately recomend Sako rifles

groups will improve once its bedded in abit. worth trying some different ammo also down it. to see what suites the rifle best

Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    groups will improve once its bedded in abit. worth trying some different ammo also down it. to see what suites the rifle best
    Hi Jamie yep I expect it to get better, but was amazed at how good it is straight out the box using factory ammo, just as Sako claimed, will work on the rounds when i start handloading, but for the moment will stick with the rounds i am using to build up my stock of cases
    Cheers
    Ray

Very nice Ray. I have one of these in .223 and found an immense improvement after switching to handloads - now 1/2 MoA or less at 100 yards - and a careful "running in" regime seems to have been worthwhile, as there is now little (if any) fouling after 100 rounds. You didn't mention whether yours had the set trigger or not? It's lovely to use!

I've got one in 308 , canny go wrong with Sako pure quality bits of kit. Had many a beast with it now and is also a very good range tool . Can be a tad heavy to cart about all day, but a cracking rifle and looks no bad too .

All the best Stewart

Mine

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pse694a887.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Very nice Ray. I have one of these in .223 and found an immense improvement after switching to handloads - now 1/2 MoA or less at 100 yards - and a careful "running in" regime seems to have been worthwhile, as there is now little (if any) fouling after 100 rounds. You didn't mention whether yours had the set trigger or not? It's lovely to use!
    Didnt specify the set trigger so assumed i did not have it, just checked and yes it has the set trigger, feel lovely cant wait to get our and put some lead downrange on se trigger
    Thanks for pointing that out
    Cheers
    Ray

Very nice! I'd love one. What barrel length?

Thumbs up

Was out last night with a mate looking for foxes, but no luck , spotted some rabbits at 300 yards, so decided to give it a go, allowed 6inch above and 4inch for wind , mate was spotting for strike, and b*gger me shot was 6inch high so tried another on an exposed bit of earth no allowance for distance but still allowed for wind and its spot on, its zero its for 175 yards but its still bang on at 300, so well impressed

sako 85 ss

Hi all, new to this forum; I too have a sako 85, in this instance a synthetic stainless, the slightly shorter barrelled version which comes ready threaded for a mod.

Very very very happy with it!

Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    I would agree with the above
    A change in bullets would make a vast improvement
    To see what she likes

After all you can't just take a bird to an indein
    And expect her to like it lol

Sako 85

I'm looking to get one in 308, so some good and useful comments thanks to help me decide, such a good looking rifle too, beautifully made, I do a lot of target shooting mostly F Class, however I want something a bit different and more sporty to shoot for a change!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Picked up my new Sako 85 in 22-250 stainless fluted varmint barell with laminated stock threaded for mod
    First impressions out of the box was excelent build quality and it was spotless had my rfd (bushwear) fit my scope, zeiss 3.5 - 10 x50 scope second hand but immaculate, then screw on the A Tech mod and harris bipod then 4boxes of Hornady 55gn V max and i was set, a couple of days later i was off out with a mate to one of his permissions he uses for sighting in, sighted in by eye then sent 3 rounds down range at 100 mt and got a 2 inch group, dialed in the scope to the centre of impact and sent 2 downrange it was spot on, so moved back to 150 mt and put another 3 down range and got another 2 inch group
    My mate had a crack and he was getting sub 1 inch groups proving what i knew that he is a better shot than me
    Conclusion
    Straight out of the box using factory ammo and getting superb results, Very happy with Sako, would definately recomend Sako rifles
    Thanks for the review Ray, I have just got my variation on a 22-250 and have been looking at a Sako, I too will be looking at my own loads eventually so would be interested in your future experience. Perhaps keep in touch. Regards
    Darren

Hi Darren
    still using factory ammo, getting my gun room sorted and due to working offshore, i am pushed for time so prefer getting out shooting to staying in sorting the gun room so have not got my reloading gear set up yet (got the whole RCBS kit for xmass and is still in the box), one thing i will say is i got a sound mod for it from bushwear and it was a .30 cal and a fair bit louder than i remembered a 22-250 to be, so after about 8 month i contacted jackson rifles (on the advise of bushwear) and was told i needed a 6mm mod,,,,,,,i informed bushwear and the changed it for me FOC, and it makes a big difference in the noise, so remember sound mods are cal specific if you want the best results

Thanks Ray,

I will be looking into any reviews I can find on Moderators with that in mind. I know there can be huge differences in effect, so I want to be as quiet as possible without creating too much bulk.

Darren