Thread: .22 Hornet primers

.22 Hornet primers

About to start reloading for the .22 hornet using lil gun and 35 grain v max, I have a stock of rem 71/2 primers but was wondering if there are other primers more suitable.

thanks,

Rick.
    CZ 452 .22 Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
    Zabala 12 bore.

I use cci 400 small rifle primers Which is what the lee book says. Some people reckon small pistol primers but id stick with what the books say.

Ben
    Brno 22 hornet - CZ 455 Thumbhole 16" 17 Hmr - Baikal Sxs 12 gauge - Air Arms s410

I'm using Rem 6½'s at the moment.

Rem 7½'s are designed with a thicker cup to accept higher pressures.

George
    Loads of stuff that goes bang and some gadgets that cut through the darkness.

http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben410 View Post
    I use cci 400 small rifle primers Which is what the lee book says. Some people reckon small pistol primers but id stick with what the books say.

Ben
    Never substitute pistol primers for rifle primers. They won't handle the pressure IIRC.

try cci bench rest primers.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    try cci bench rest primers.
    If that's the BR4, aren't they simply the equivalent of the Rem 7½'s?

Have only been loading the Hornet for a few weeks, but thought the whole idea was to use primers with a softer cup? Hence the reason that some people get good results with small pistol primers.

George
    Loads of stuff that goes bang and some gadgets that cut through the darkness.

http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com

I used small pistol primers all the time in .22k hornet only on over pressure did I get flat primers the cases gave way before they did.Go figure as hank would say.
    Last edited by missfire; 10-04-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added SMALL
    Fire control,I-Band 4' parabolic dish with tri-port feed------

primers

I have used small pistol primers for the last 2 years with no ill affects,

DaveK is offline Has been known to tickle spider crabs
    Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Never substitute pistol primers for rifle primers. They won't handle the pressure IIRC.
    Not a Hornet shooter then?

Hi mate,

I used the exact same combo as you but I used Fedral 205 primers. Results were fantastic!

FYI the 35 V-Max's are not the best bullet to use in the Hornet, yes they shoot well but are badly effected buy wind at longer range due to their crap BC.

There is better bullet chooses.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Not a Hornet shooter then?
    Nope, but as my memory from my data books was that a calibre (or individual loadings) would have listed a base setup with a primer type and a strict warning in the front of the book not to substitute even if I did shoot hornet I wouldn't be playing about substituting one for the other. I can't see the benefit of swapping, much less spending time working up a load as both pistol and rifle primers are equally easily available

I'm sure there are recipes/books that list either or both (in which case, as above, I would go with what the recipe recommends), much as some 7.62x39 (IIRC) cases use large primers, some use small. On balance, perhaps Ben410 made the point I was trying to in a clearer and more succinct fashion.

Also worth remembering that someone may well come across this thread in the future, think "fantastic, I've got some pistol primers left in the cabinet!" and substitute pistol primers into a much higher pressure rifle calibre.

DaveK is offline Has been known to tickle spider crabs
    Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Nope, but as my memory from my data books was that a calibre (or individual loadings) would have listed a base setup with a primer type and a strict warning in the front of the book not to substitute even if I did shoot hornet I wouldn't be playing about substituting one for the other. I can't see the benefit of swapping, much less spending time working up a load as both pistol and rifle primers are equally easily available

I'm sure there are recipes/books that list either or both (in which case, as above, I would go with what the recipe recommends), much as some 7.62x39 (IIRC) cases use large primers, some use small. On balance, perhaps Ben410 made the point I was trying to in a clearer and more succinct fashion.

Also worth remembering that someone may well come across this thread in the future, think "fantastic, I've got some pistol primers left in the cabinet!" and substitute pistol primers into a much higher pressure rifle calibre.
    I AM a .22 Hornet shooter and have used both small rifle and pistol primers with no discernable difference so am talking from experience and not from what I've read in books. The Hornet may well be a centrefire calibre but by no means as powerful as fullbore centrefires. Reloading for Hornet with the appropriate powders, you could virtually fill the case, spill a wee bit out and shove a bullet in the end and it will work. I wouldn't even attempt it with other calibres but this one seems to be in a world of it's own.

You are, of course correct if what you say is applied to larger calibres of handgun/rifle, but this is about Hornets.

In Issue 14 of the RCBS reloading manual page 181 they state All loads in that manual to be used with pistol primers. This was to achieve higher velocities without causing over pressure. By contrast RCBS issue 12 reloading manual states CCI 400 primers which are small rifle primers.

HTH.

Glenn.
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

small pisto lprimer

hi Lads
    there some fact's you can use small pistol primer in hornet. as .22 hornet as the same operating pressure as .357 mag.
    second as the powder charge is small you don't need all the flash(heat and pressure) small rifle primers give you.

i use pistol prime for my hornet
    luke

Tank is offline Fat things go slowly up hills
    Federal 205's for me. I tried CCI but they were crap, kept getting misfires. Not had a single misfire with Federals.
    'What is the most frustrating thing about Police work?',(Commandant Lassard)
    'Not being able to carry hand grenades Sir',(Tackleberry).