Thread: Diana/original 6g

Diana/original 6g

Ok so i know that the compensation washer does not compress the air as the piston has a hole in it, so why would it need replacing ?. As long as it hasn,t fallen to bits or is rattling around inside the tube i cant understand why it would need to be renewed. Anyone ?

Came to the same conclusion as you when I did my rebuild, looks like an air brake to keep piston and cog in proper contact when used in anger and as a bearing support for the rear piston.

George

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Came to the same conclusion as you when I did my rebuild, looks like an air brake to keep piston and cog in proper contact when used in anger and as a bearing support for the rear piston.

George
    I believe its just a balance weight, it cant be a bearing as its a smaller diameter than the piston, andrew and I have discussed this on another thread, I've been thinking this through and there is 1 obvious cure and 1 not so..... the obvious 1 is to button the piston as both mine and andrews have noticeable wear on the piston where it obviously rubs the cylinder...... the not so obvious cure is to buy another piston seal, size it so its non sealing in the compression tube, maybe even remove sections from the seal lip so that it supports the piston away from the compression tube, similar to a set of buttons or bearings..... the down side to this is the original style balance washers are sized to set the piston pre load so the new seal/bearing would also need to be sized for thickness aswell to facilitate the set up of pre load...... more complicated I know, but worth considering as it enables you to fine tune the pre load.

Sean
    Slowly morphing into an RWS/Diana/Original fanboy.

Definitely a springer fanboy.