Thread: reloading new shotshell cases

reloading new shotshell cases

What do I need to start crimp closure on new cases ( gauges .410 ,28 and 20 ) I have tried precrimp on the 20 in Lee press but no joy ?
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Something similar to this MEC Crimp starter

Quote Originally Posted by pinguisgod View Post
    Something similar to this MEC Crimp starter
    Got one similar to that but cant get a crimp started on new cases , no problem using the press crimp starter and final crimper on used cases but been having to rto on these new ones which slows it all down .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Looking at that link perhaps better look for "skived" cases ?

Folkestone Engineering Supplies sell skived 12bore cases, though their 28g ones aren't listed as skived it's probably worth a phone call to see if they can get them.

Quote Originally Posted by pinguisgod View Post
    Folkestone Engineering Supplies sell skived 12bore cases, though their 28g ones aren't listed as skived it's probably worth a phone call to see if they can get them.
    Cheers will give them a ring Monday a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    What do I need to start crimp closure on new cases ( gauges .410 ,28 and 20 ) I have tried precrimp on the 20 in Lee press but no joy ?
    What height carts? The lee is a 70mm machine!

With new carts you need to bring down the crimp starter ALL the way and hold a few seconds, before putting it in the finisher!

What height carts? The lee is a 70mm machine!

With new carts you need to bring down the crimp starter ALL the way and hold a few seconds, before putting it in the finisher!
    - what he said.

i use a mec and new cases, adjust the pre crimp so that the folds form nicely, i have mine set quite deep, i also pause for a second but i`m running a 9000 so i have to do that anyway.
    the pre crimped case should be very even and have the central parts almost touching.

the final crimp / crimp punch should put a good finish on it.

i reload exclusively using new cases. they reload nicer and i dont have any primer issues.
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

Quote Originally Posted by cookoff013 View Post
    - what he said.

i use a mec and new cases, adjust the pre crimp so that the folds form nicely, i have mine set quite deep, i also pause for a second but i`m running a 9000 so i have to do that anyway.
    the pre crimped case should be very even and have the central parts almost touching.

the final crimp / crimp punch should put a good finish on it.

i reload exclusively using new cases. they reload nicer and i dont have any primer issues.
    Are you using "skived " new cases ?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Are you using "skived " new cases ?
    most of the time !
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

I use new cases in a lee and they are fine in 12 & 20