Thread: Chairgun "install" help ["I'm thick" icon here].

Chairgun "install" help ["I'm thick" icon here].

Embarrassed at my own lack of ability use software, I decided to install the latest version, and learn to use it.

Uninstalled version 1.8.1.1 or something like it. Installed Version 2.

Downloaded the VB6 files in case I didn't have them (Running WIN98SE).

Trying to access the pellet files. N.F.W.

Keep getting these error messages:

"ActiveX component can't create object"

"Config:Object variable or With block variable not set"

Restored "001" database file, and the S/W still won't work.

Read all the help files etc etc.

Further help needed.
    To be good, one must do good.

Hi there,
    presumably your previous installation worked, O.K.??? You didn't say.

Also, I presume you meet the system requirements laid out in the HELP section of Chairgun, i.e. Comdlg32.ocx, Richtx32.ocx, Mscomctl.ocx, 600MHz P3 processor, 50Mb space, etc.? (N.B. the HELP section says Cmdlg32.ocx but it's actually meant to be Comdlg32.ocx). Note also, that these three files should be in your WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder (I'm running WIN'98SE as well BTW).

I don't have the vbrun60.exe and don't appear to need it, as my Chairgun 2 runs fine without.

What I DO have is vbrun300.dll in both WINDOWS\ and WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folders. I don't know and doubt if this is particularly significant.

I'm sure the author of this fine program will come on here soon to help you out.

HTH,
    Sandy

Previous version worked fine, so I must have the necessary.

Perhaps the un-install didn't work, although it said it did.

Uninstalled and re-installed, still won't work.

Sent PM to the author which I know has been read. No reply

Ideas? Anyone?

P.S. V1.8.2 works fine except it doesn't have the two pellets I use....
    Last edited by Baldie; 08-06-2005 at 11:39 PM.

I once had problems trying to install a new version, in the end I searched for anything Chairgun & deleted the lot. The new version ran ok after a fresh install.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    I once had problems trying to install a new version, in the end I searched for anything Chairgun & deleted the lot. The new version ran ok after a fresh install.
    The de-installation process did make mention to not removing all directories, which I ignored.

Reading your advise, I did a search with Explorer, and deleted all references to 'Chairgun'. Re-installed ver.2 and....... still won't work. It installs, but the pellet option draws the same error messages.

Some sort of database error. Must be my computer, but what do I do to fix it? This error doesn't appear in the help files?

try installing the latest MDAC package, as the database uses either OLEDB or ODBC to access the database, both of which are part of the MDAC setup.
    Go here to download MDAC.
    Hope this helps
    Tom

Harrys Lad Guest
    Baldie,

Sorry about that; I composed a reply within a few minutes of reading your PM and thought that I sent it off…
    Anyway, the problem that you have is not with ChairGun2 but with MDAC – you need to download and install MDAC 2.5 (either from MS or from www.chairgun.com/problems.htm)

HTH
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfoot
    try installing the latest MDAC package, as the database uses either OLEDB or ODBC to access the database, both of which are part of the MDAC setup.
    Go here to download MDAC.
    Hope this helps
    Tom

Job done, and it works. Well done that man!

Harry's Lad

Every been in the Cavalry?

Didn't think to check the web-site. Oh well.

Next question Dave..... Pellet data.......

Are Bisely Mags in the list as something else? Beeman Kodiaks for example?

And anyone got any weight and BC data for Bob's Eliminators in .22 ??

The listing seems surprising small given all the data floating around. Mindful how much work has gone into the main program, I'd have thought someone (queue volunteer) would have plugged in an all singing all dancing db of info. Or did I miss a link somewhere?

Thanks all.

Harrys Lad Guest
    Baldie,

The problems with pellet data are that a) reliable BC data is rare, b) quoted weights vary considerably from batch-to-batch and from reality and c) the same pellet is often re-badged and sold under a different name. The pellets listed in the ChairGun2 database are basically those listed in ChairGun V1.9.9 with a few H&N additions by MOA (Alex) in Germany. The intention was that, as new weight/BC data was obtained from users, updated databases could be posted on the website for the benefit of all. That hasn’t happened yet; maybe it’s just early days or maybe folks can’t be ar$ed to calculate and/or share the data.

ATB
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Harrys Lad
    Baldie,

The problems with pellet data are that a) reliable BC data is rare, b) quoted weights vary considerably from batch-to-batch and from reality and c) the same pellet is often re-badged and sold under a different name. The pellets listed in the ChairGun2 database are basically those listed in ChairGun V1.9.9 with a few H&N additions by MOA (Alex) in Germany. The intention was that, as new weight/BC data was obtained from users, updated databases could be posted on the website for the benefit of all. That hasn’t happened yet; maybe it’s just early days or maybe folks can’t be ar$ed to calculate and/or share the data.

ATB
    Dave
    Hmmm.

Thought I saw a looooonnnggggg list of data somewhere. Must make a point of checking my 'favourites' to see if I kept a link.

Big problem for me and anyone else, is going to be accurate BC data. For example:

I've rung AA and asked them about .22 Fields, and weight. They say 16grns. Any variation is just that. If someone has some electronic scales, then weighing batches of 10's might reveal a difference. I will be doing this when I get some, but I suspect most shooters don't have them. As I mentioned before, the tin of Bisley's I have, don't have a weight so no data there.

Bob's Eliminators do have a weight. And a MKIII Combro gives me MV. BUT to get an accurate BC, I need to shoot through two chrono's to measure the down range loses at different distances. This is going to be difficult for most too. For my money the BC is the most important part of the whole equation.

While weight and speed may not need need to be particularly accurate in real world shooting, the BC needs to be.

So here's a thought:

Given variations in pellet speeds (measured by Combro) that can produce a 'mean average' speed, and I (as can anyone) also 'plumb in' measured drops over distance, would it be possible to work out the BC (and possibly weight) from the drops?

In some respects, this might seem a bit self-defeating because some people are using Chairgun to work out 'drops' over distance. But should I 'plump in' two (30 and 40 yards or 40 and 50), all the others might be available without measuring.

My frustration with getting the benefit of the programme, is that I just don't have the data that enables me to use it.

That said, I'm now able to compare my measured 'findings' from last night with the Chairgun base data for 15.90 grns of AA Fields.
    Last edited by Baldie; 10-06-2005 at 01:26 PM.

AA Fields weigh 15.9gr while Bis Mags weigh 21.5gr, individual weights from 1 tin of each when I did some testing a while back.

If you haven't got 2 chrony's to find BC, there's a calibration button in Chairgun that'll calculate it using POI drops at a known range.

Nothing beats some 'real' down range testing though.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    AA Fields weigh 15.9gr while Bis Mags weigh 21.5gr, individual weights from 1 tin of each when I did some testing a while back.

If you haven't got 2 chrony's to find BC, there's a calibration button in Chairgun that'll calculate it using POI drops at a known range.

Nothing beats some 'real' down range testing though.

Cheers Dave, you're a star!