Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck sized rounds in different barrels

Neck sized rounds in different barrels

Have a lot of brass I shot through my Howa 204 which has now had a new barrel. Have been neck sizing the brass only so will I be OK using it with the new barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner. View Post
    Have a lot of brass I shot through my Howa 204 which has now had a new barrel. Have been neck sizing the brass only so will I be OK using it with the new barrel?
    Try chambering a few fired cases from the old barrel. If they are the slightest bit tight going in then it might be better if you resize them to avoid any risk ao one jamming, expecially if you are out with the gun.

Once they are form fired you should not have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Try chambering a few fired cases from the old barrel. If they are the slightest bit tight going in then it might be better if you resize them to avoid any risk ao one jamming, expecially if you are out with the gun.

Once they are form fired you should not have any problems.
    Will do thanks.

Seldom does brass fired in one chamber fit another and full length resizing will not cure this.
    This is due to the expansion of the case web area just in front of the extractor groove, a portion of the case that never gets sized because of the radius on the mouth of the die.
    I always use the motto, "New barrel, new brass"

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    Seldom does brass fired in one chamber fit another and full length resizing will not cure this.
    This is due to the expansion of the case web area just in front of the extractor groove, a portion of the case that never gets sized because of the radius on the mouth of the die.
    I always use the motto, "New barrel, new brass"

Ian.
    That's the most amazing thing I've ever read. In 25 years of reloading I've never heard that before. Further, I've been shooting 303,308,223,6.5 and various others in multiple guns. I've often full sized cases from 1 gun and used them in another. Must make the 'once fired' brass business redundant. I've just resized 200 cases for my 284 which has just had a new barrel fitted ---- they're ok too.

Full length resizing allows the reloaded cartridge to be fired in any firearm of the appropriate caliber. Another type of resizing called "neck sizing" can be also be used, but neck-sized cartridges can only be used in the rifle that last fired them, and is not appropriate for all firearm types
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Quote Originally Posted by taz2 View Post
    That's the most amazing thing I've ever read. In 25 years of reloading I've never heard that before. Further, I've been shooting 303,308,223,6.5 and various others in multiple guns. I've often full sized cases from 1 gun and used them in another. Must make the 'once fired' brass business redundant. I've just resized 200 cases for my 284 which has just had a new barrel fitted ---- they're ok too.
    Like taz says full lengthing the brass will bring it back to spec and it will fit any barrel of that calibre you then can neck size after firing.
    Only rifle I have known so far to accept each others neck sized brass are the martini henry

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.
    Actually Treebone is correct.

I have two 270/7WSM barrels both chambered with different reamers, one lot of fired brass will not fit in the other barrel. The only cure for this is a small base body die, which will resize the area at the web that Trreebone mentioned.

I will normally go with the new barrel, new brass principle.
    God has a hard on for green rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Actually Treebone is correct.

I have two 270/7WSM barrels both chambered with different reamers, one lot of fired brass will not fit in the other barrel. The only cure for this is a small base body die, which will resize the area at the web that Trreebone mentioned.

I will normally go with the new barrel, new brass principle.
    So, you're saying he's correct, but you can resize full length to get over it ?

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.
    Quote Originally Posted by taz2 View Post
    So, you're saying he's correct, but you can resize full length to get over it ?
    The only way that my cases will chamber is if I use a special small base body die, and I don't think there is one for a 270/7WSM, a standard full length die will not reach the area at the web that has expanded.

More often than not a FL die can be used to make a case fit a different chamber of the same caliber, but be mind full of not creating excessive head space causing case head separation.

I still say, new barrel new brass, unless the barrel was chambered with the same reamer.

The only way that my cases will chamber is if I use a special small base body die, and I don't think there is one for a 270/7WSM, a standard full length die will not reach the area at the web that has expanded.

More often than not a FL die can be used to make a case fit a different chamber of the same caliber, but be mind full of not creating excessive head space causing case head separation.

I still say, new barrel new brass, unless the barrel was chambered with the same reamer.
    I can sort of see what you're saying--but I reckon that's the exception. I've been doing some cases for a friend, they're in 338 LM , a case notorious for unwillingness to re-size for another gun. Even they are fitting o.k.
    I agree that new brass is ideally the best course, but we're not all in a position to get, or afford, brass.
    Some cases are prohibitedly (not sure if that's even a word!!) expensive to buy new. My friend's 338 are STILL 50p a go for once fired, and are only good for 2 or 3 reloads before they expire.
    We/he shot 80 plus last Friday. He's a normal bloke with a normal job, so not made of money. New brass is £2.70 a go--not a poor man's sport!
    If they were cheaper you wouldn't baulk at buying new. As it is, for some, even the 50 odd P for a 'sensible' calibre can be too much.

Excessive head space is not the cause of case separation, it causes excessive recoil as the case slams against the face of the bolt, (or breech face).

Case separation is caused by the pressures generated inside the case which cause the brass to flow forward as though it is being extruded. This is what stretches the case and why they have to be trimmed back to length.

If you get a piece of modelling clay and roll it into a cylinder and then stretch it from each end it will go thin in the middle and snap, I'm sure we have all seen it as kids?
    The same thing happens to the brass which goes thin near the head of the cartridge and eventually separates. The first indication of this is a shiny line around the head adjacent where the wall of the case stars.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Hmm, cant really comment as there are loads of variables, some very specific as Elwood says.

Can you not borrow something suitable to try?

I collect cases, some are so totally re-formed by rifles supposedly the same that you would not believe it.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Excessive head space is not the cause of case separation, it causes excessive recoil as the case slams against the face of the bolt, (or breech face).

Case separation is caused by the pressures generated inside the case which cause the brass to flow forward as though it is being extruded. This is what stretches the case and why they have to be trimmed back to length.

If you get a piece of modelling clay and roll it into a cylinder and then stretch it from each end it will go thin in the middle and snap, I'm sure we have all seen it as kids?
    The same thing happens to the brass which goes thin near the head of the cartridge and eventually separates. The first indication of this is a shiny line around the head adjacent where the wall of the case stars.
    Correct it is the pressure that causes the case stretch and if the case fits the chamber then there is very little room for the case to stretch. Push the shoulders back to far and you now allow the brass to stretch in the chamber causing case head separation, trust me I have done it and ruined 100 RWS 7x57 Mauser cases, and that wasn't a cheap mistake.
    In my case the separation started half way up the case wall, some were very visible while others weren't, luckily I could inspect the inside of the case with my bore scope.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Correct it is the pressure that causes the case stretch and if the case fits the chamber then there is very little room for the case to stretch. Push the shoulders back to far and you now allow the brass to stretch in the chamber causing case head separation, trust me I have done it and ruined 100 RWS 7x57 Mauser cases, and that wasn't a cheap mistake.
    In my case the separation started half way up the case wall, some were very visible while others weren't, luckily I could inspect the inside of the case with my bore scope.
    Managed to do the same with a Lee as it goes Ian, bloody sight cheaper though mate. Solved the problem simply by neck sizing only.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know