Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hello Everyone, I'd like to introduce myself, if I may? My name is Glyn, I'm retired & live in Mirfield. I used to do a bit of F.T. & plinking at my local club (Emley Moor), but home circumstances now mean at present I'm restricted to shooting in my rather small back garden, mostly plinking with assorted pistols. Somehow, I seem to have started collecting. Don't ask, it just happened, I'm sure you will understand & I now am the proud owner of an LP53, eight Wobblies, ranging from a 1925 Mk1 to a Brummy Tempest, & my latest acquisition is a rather fine example of the mighty Acvoke. Rifle-wise, I've a couple of PCPs, but also a .22 Longbow with bull barrel, walnut stock & a very faded Venom sticker - very smooth to shoot. Could this be one of the famous Sidewinders, I wonder? However, my pride & joy is my latest buy, a .22 Mk11 Service (S12801), so much fun to shoot, sensuous to hold & aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I fell in love with her when I found her hiding away among the second hand rifles in my local gun shop & I just had to bring her home, away from such rough company & make her feel loved again. Do you think I need to get out more?
    Cheers
    Glyn

Hi Glyn,

Welcome on board. Fantastic place, the BBS; especially this, the Gentlemen's corner!

Lots of information and expert knowledge to tap into, which I'm sure you'll be aware of by now. And feel free to tip in with your input and experiences.

Very nice selection of toys you have there! And well done on the rescue of your latest acquisition...a most noble gesture!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Glyn welcome to the BBS you will like it on here. yes you do need to get out more, to your local gun shop to see if he has some more Webley Services ect.

Welcome to the BBS and Kollektor's Korner (well, getting old is compulsory, growing up is optional) but they ain't wobblies (used here by some as a derogatory term) they are the acme of airpistols, the mighty Webley. I've got a few too.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Wobblies?

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    Welcome to the BBS and Kollektor's Korner (well, getting old is compulsory, growing up is optional) but they ain't wobblies (used here by some as a derogatory term) they are the acme of airpistols, the mighty Webley. I've got a few too.
    Hi Lodmoor,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Actually I use the word "Wobblies" as a term of endearment for collectable Webleys. To my mind "Webley" encompasses all the Webley products, from their early pistols & rifles, right up to the Turkish made jobs. I think Wobblies have that certain something about them, akin to old steam locos. A plague on anyone who derides old Webleys On the other hand, we don't want everyone collecting them, do we, or there'd be none for us? Cheers, Glyn

Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    Hi Lodmoor,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Actually I use the word "Wobblies" as a term of endearment for collectable Webleys. To my mind "Webley" encompasses all the Webley products, from their early pistols & rifles, right up to the Turkish made jobs. I think Wobblies have that certain something about them, akin to old steam locos. A plague on anyone who derides old Webleys On the other hand, we don't want everyone collecting them, do we, or there'd be none for us? Cheers, Glyn
    Hi Glyn,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I sensibly limited myself to Webley pistols when I first started collecting classic air pistols, but this soon spread to other early British spring powered air pistols and then on to their equivalent in air rifles. Not that this is a bad thing, as apart from the pleasure of finding and enjoying these purchases, they are unlikely to depreciate in value and consequently represent quite a good investment.

Regards

Brian