Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Moulds

Des,

Agree, as a water displacing oil its OK. . (Caveat, not on molded connectors etc.)

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Where did you learn about putting beeswax in the mould? A thumbnail-sized piece can be used a a flux in the lead, to get the dross up to the surface, but I've never heard of putting ANYTHING into a mould before.

tac
    He is talking about the need to lubricate the mould alignment surfaces and spru plate as directed in the instructions. You do not need to do this with an iron, steel or brass mould, but with aluminium it is essential. No biggy really and a small price to pay for the reduced weight, faster cooling and outstanding surface finish on the balls (oooh, Matron.) Just keep the cavities clean and you will be ok. I've used Lee moulds for nearly forty years and whenever I've had a problem with one it has always been resolved with a bit of wax (I use carnuba) on the alignment surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    He is talking about the need to lubricate the mould alignment surfaces and spru plate as directed in the instructions. You do not need to do this with an iron, steel or brass mould, but with aluminium it is essential. No biggy really and a small price to pay for the reduced weight, faster cooling and outstanding surface finish on the balls (oooh, Matron.) Just keep the cavities clean and you will be ok. I've used Lee moulds for nearly forty years and whenever I've had a problem with one it has always been resolved with a bit of wax (I use carnuba) on the alignment surfaces.
    Thanks for the post. I've kind of figured out what he meant to say, it just didn't come out that way. especially as he actually wrote "...IN the mould...".

I've been using Lee moulds since 1965, BTW, and as I already mentioned, I'm still using the orignal Lee ROA mould I bought in 1986 with my ROA.

tac

i use a lee mould for casting catapult ammo i don't lube the mould or anything always come out perfect
    weihrauch hw97k .177, smk qb78 target deluxe .177, smk xs78 .22, cometa 220 .22, custom crosman 2240 pistol .22

I just made some .30 boatails for my airgun. Used pure soft lead, with 1% tin. The tin helps it to pour better and fill the mold. They also stay shiny