Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TX200 is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Ah yes Pete, there is a fine line where the insert meets the shroud, about 2 or 3mm from the end. It is a very fine joint. I can barely see it through my old eyes without a magnifier.

::digging out old photos...::

So you prefer this design of the un-shrouded barrel endings? ... IIRC with that version, the whole assembly screwed on to the screw cut TX barrel, and the small under-slung clippy bit alone weighed about a pound, like it was made of uranium, so it was something of a muzzle weight.

I didn't mind the look of the old TXHC 'OXO catch' here and here to be fair. But I best check if the new one here is the same shape as the old one.
    I took the slab sided detent ball holder off my 2 MarkIII's and replaced them with the round one from the older HC models. The detent isn't as long as the MarkI/MarkII detent, but it is/was the same blued round profile. I now see that even the HC uses the slab sided thing of ugliness. You may find some old stock of the round HC detents.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I'm game for that Nick

Perhaps you could bring it along to the Boinger Bash for us to play

All the best Mick
    Definitely, you will love it, everyone that has shot it likes it, I have had some very encouraging comments

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Ah yes Pete, there is a fine line where the insert meets the shroud, about 2 or 3mm from the end. It is a very fine joint. I can barely see it through my old eyes without a magnifier.

::digging out old photos...::

So you prefer this design of the un-shrouded barrel endings? ... IIRC with that version, the whole assembly screwed on to the screw cut TX barrel, and the small under-slung clippy bit alone weighed about a pound, like it was made of uranium, so it was something of a muzzle weight.

I didn't mind the look of the old TXHC 'OXO catch' here and here to be fair. But I best check if the new one here is the same shape as the old one.
    No I prefer this type, I like the shrouded barrel, for some reason I think the later shrouded barrel looks better than the earlier ones.

Of course in my eyes the Prosport looks even better (I like a hidden underlever personally)

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I want to have a go at short-stroking it by making a longer rod. Hints and tips anyone?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    No I prefer this type, I like the shrouded barrel, for some reason I think the later shrouded barrel looks better than the earlier ones.

Of course in my eyes the Prosport looks even better (I like a hidden underlever personally)

Pete
    Ah, yes that's nicer

I've just had a brilliant idea - a TX with detachable cocking arm (like on a trolly jack)... one could have a sheath on one's belt for keeping the lever in until needed for cocking.

I'll email Air Arms right away, and I might suggest they also make a middle weight break barrel springer, or is that just a crazy idea too far?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I want to have a go at short-stroking it by making a longer rod. Hints and tips anyone?
    I bet Jon Budd could tell you how to do that with his eyes shut!

I bet Jon Budd could tell you how to do that with his eyes shut!

Pfffft! Even I can talk with my eyes shut!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Full length mk3 .177 right ?
    If you keep the trans port length standard, you can either:
    1) keep full weight steel piston, stroke to ~ 88mm
    2) lighten the steel piston by turning a bit off the OD, stroke to ~ 85mm
    3) ally piston, stroke to ~ 83mm

For all of the above, ditch the massive AA top hat weight, and replace with ally or delrin, and replace the spring.

If you are feeling adventurous, fit an HW fitment nose to the piston, HW seal, and reduce all the above by ~ 4-5mm
    If you want real gains, shorten the port from the back - lose 3mm from above strokes
    If you want even more, bring the barrel back to run one o-ring seal and shorten the port from the front too - lose another 5mm on strokes but you can't run ally
    If you want utopia do the lot
    (my shortened port, HW fitment, lighten steel piston .177 MK3 is running 74mm stroke right now and is not short of power... stock MK3 stroke is ~98mm )

PS Buy the rods from Dave (Wonky Donky) or Shaun (spartan), same price, both hardened, both good.
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 17-04-2014 at 08:35 PM.

See? ^^^

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Jon's been round Bigtoe too long

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Jon's been round Bigtoe too long

Pete
    Jon's been playing with TX strokes for 12 years
    However it took Mick and Tony to get me to think of looking at the SCRs and hence the ports

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Full length mk3 .177 right ?
    If you keep the trans port length standard, you can either:
    1) keep full weight steel piston, stroke to ~ 88mm
    2) lighten the steel piston by turning a bit off the OD, stroke to ~ 85mm
    3) ally piston, stroke to ~ 83mm

How much would you lighten it by? Are we just taking mass away between bearings? If so, roughly how much before the piston is weakened too far?

And while we're at it, lightening the piston only to add length (and mass) to the rod defeats the object. Has anyone looked at titanium rods yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    How much would you lighten it by? Are we just taking mass away between bearings? If so, roughly how much before the piston is weakened too far?

And while we're at it, lightening the piston only to add length (and mass) to the rod defeats the object. Has anyone looked at titanium rods yet?
    No need as you can go too light, I do a fabricated piston using three pieces, which is way too light, then tailor the weight of the piston and rod, by using a custom piston weight.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    I do a fabricated piston using three pieces
    < Swarf-Nerd List Updated >

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    No need as you can go too light, I do a fabricated piston using three pieces, which is way too light, then tailor the weight of the piston and rod, by using a custom piston weight.
    Thats wonderfully ridiculous!