Thread: Diana 470 TH

Diana 470 TH

Always fancied a Diana so took the plunge and bought one today. I bought the 470 th. Out of the box, oil everywhere, everything had a coat of it. I cleaned all the oil off and noted the finish which isn’t a blueing but a kind of mat grey bead blasted effect. I have to say I would have preferred blueing as this finish doesn’t look durable.
    Damn this thing is long, but it shoulders nice and balance is surprisingly good if a little front heavy ( a bit like a 98 ).
    Stock for me is terribad it forces you into a thumb through position when the design of the stock cries out for a thumb up grove. As it is the trigger pull is a bit of a stretch for me. Going to bin this stock ASAP.
    First shots…. Yeuch, not nice at all, very boingy and lively ( but it is new ). I only put 10 through it that was enough.
    I turned the rifle over to look at the spring and noticed there was no lube at all so I removed the stock to investigate further. After removing more oil from the underside of the action I decided to take a look inside. Strip was easy, just remove two pins at the rear of the action. They pushed out with a firm pressure on them. Spring guide is a delrin type of material and was a nice fit in the spring. Spring finished nicely at trigger end but the breach end was just cut and a small flat put on with a grinder ( left gouges inside piston ).

There was no lube whatsoever accept a fine coat of the oil that’s everywhere. Build quality looks excellent everywhere on the gun. Shame they didn’t de-burr the inside of the action as they have left nice gouges in the piston sleeve. I notice also that the bear trap release lever is leaving a light score mark on the action already so that will have to be removed.

It may seem by now I am not happy with the gun but surprisingly I am, honest. Its just a few minor things to sort ( I know it shouldn’t need it though) After a quick de-burr, lube and the addition of a top hat I think the gun will be transformed. It’s a bit like the TX/97 debate, tx fine as is, 97 needs a fettle. The 407 TH is a bit like a 97.

I will update later.
    Last edited by poison dwarf; 05-12-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Update:
    Quick de-burr and lube changed the gun completely, its still a little " boingy" but it is new
    Also chrono'd it before strip. After strip, 35fps extra so will have to fettle the spring to bring it down to normal level.
    Giving it a rest for today.
    Will update again soon.

Nice to read about something a bit different for a change. The 470 is a magnum design, why did you choose it over a 440th similar but shorter cylinder, stroke and overall length?
    Diana are almost there with their guns but they need better proportioned stocks on a lot
    Of their guns. My 34 aniversary has a really short l.o.p. but the 440 / 470th's look to be overly
    Long if anything. I look forward to reading more of your review. Atb Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

nice review, keep us posted.

Update

Still a little boingy after a few hundred rounds. Had a look inside again to check all was well and it is What i did notice when i looked down the transfer port ( which i thought very small ) that it looked "stepped" on further investigation i found a washer under the breach seal. The hole in the washer was 2.5mm but the transfer port is actually 3.8mm so they have obviously put that in there to bring it down to UK power levels. I tried it without the washer in but couldnt find a spring long enough or weak enough to remain under 12fpe, so washer stays in.
    I think if I want it to shoot super smooth I will have to send it to a more proficient tuner than myself for a 25mm sleeve conversion .
    What I am amazed at is the accuracy and consistency. I set up a board at 75yds in my garden and shot a 30 shot group. All shots within a £2.00 coin sized group I also shot 30 shots from my 97 and pro target as a comparison, they took more wind which made larger groups.
    Next update wont be for a couple of weeks as I have just been to ripley rifles to have my AR5 serviced so I will be playing with that for the next couple of weeks.

@ Maximus. I bought the 470 as it has a longer barrel