Thread: Original mod 10

Original mod 10

I now have my model 10 original back from my local RFD, it needed a new piston seal as the original had perished. He reckoned it was the seal the gun had from new as there were no signs of dismantling anywhere. So i now have a 6g and a 10m. It is interesting to compare the 2. The 6 has a much louder crack on discharge , the 10 being much more subdued and feels more refined. They both have similar power though i haven,t chronod them. I thought the internals were identical so why does the 10 feel more refined. I realise the trigger is better plus the grips and sights all add to a higher spec but the 10 just feels like its harnessing the power better.
    As an added thought i bought some RWS hobby to try. They seem as accurate as the r10 and are a tighter fit in the barrells. Anyone else found this ??

If you can wait a few days I'll report back on what mine is like, SWMBO has given me a verbal stamp on a gun day on sunday so my plan is to assemble and test my 6M/Hy-Score as its somewhere inbetween the 2 you have.

I've been using RWS Gecos to practice with in the 24D, off a bench they are accurate enough at 6 yards, though even then I still get 1 that appears to tumble or a flier occasionally, I did think this maybe because they are only 7gr comming out a rifle thats doing bang on 5.9fpe, maybe a heavier pellet maybe the order of the day, the shop I use regularly had kugelmiesters in but only in 4.49 pistol weight and I really wanted to stick to 4.5s as that is what 'classics' tended to be fed "back in the day" so didn't purchase any . my other local gun shop didn't even stock wad-cutters of any size or calibre though its a typical "we sell proper guns, airguns are just something we 'have' to stock" tweed and springer spaniel type shop
    Slowly morphing into an RWS/Diana/Original fanboy.

Definitely a springer fanboy.

I'm shooting an Original Mod 10 in the 6yd MPL - I've tried quite a few types of pellets through it and it seems 'happiest' with RWS Meisterkugeln at 4.5mm - even I can get a halfway decent group with them from time to time.

Next best do seem to be the RWS Hobby - although, I have to admit, the difference is slight and more likely to be caused by my poor marksmanship rather than the pellets.

Gecos do OK and the Mod 10 seems to just spit RWS Co2 pellets wherever - with no consistency at all.

This is skewed towards RWS pellets, i realise; has anyone else got good experience with pellets and the Original Mod 10?

Paul
    -- Witty and amusing aphorism appears here --

Paul.

I have tried most pellets over the years, and always try my 3 main ones: Geco, Hobby, R10 in all the guns I use.

For the higher quality guns, the R10 goes by far the tighter grouping, when compared to the others, and I wouldn't use any other pellet.

There are a number of comparison reviews on the CAPA, from weight consistency to group sizes.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

I have found the classic RWS Meisterkugeln give the best results in my Model 10 and Model 6 pistols but good results have also been had with GECO, Hobby and R10 with the difference being very small.

The RWS CO2 pellets also work well but as Solonian has mentioned they did not group as tightly in his Model 10 but they did group the best when we last tested a Model 6M so the standard recommendation of testing the pellets to see what works best in your own air pistol still has to be the best advice.

I have also tried the H&N pistol match but these did not work quite so well in any of my classic air pistols - including the subject of this thread - the Model 10.

Back in the 70's the H&N Match and the Eley Match were good alternatives to the Meisterkugeln (that almost everyone used in competitions) but the Eley Match are no longer available and the H&N pellets do not seem to be as good in the "classic" pistols any more - somebody said they have changed the lubricant but I still have several tins of these and the Eley Match from the 70's and I have to say these early pellets don't look the same either.

The Meisterkugelns look like they are the same - and they certainly shoot as well as I remember them performing and they were the pellet of choice when the pistols we now regard as "classics" were the best that was available at the time including the Model 10, FWB 65 and 80 and Walther LP3M.
    Last edited by zooma; 22-04-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Both my ex LP6M and ex LP10 favoured JSB Exact. No flatheads
    ATB,
    yana