Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
There are many variations and its also down to preferences and eyesight, but generaly the front size is a little smaller due to the hold being a lot steadier (hopefully!!) Depending on wether its out door which most is and light conditions there are more variables than indoor with air at 10 mts, also in smallbore there are barrel (or tube) length variations which also alter fore sight size.
As an indication, at 10 mts my wife uses 4.3 front sight on a max length sight base LG400 rifle and generaly 1.0 to 1.1 rear, at 50 mts and 100 yds smallbore a 3.7 front on a standard barrel length KK300 rifle and between 0.8 and 1.2 rear depending on light, at 300 mts with a standard length barrel Keppeler 6mmBR rifle she uses a similar set up. The rear iris is used and varied much more than indoors with air, also filters come much more into play than with air.
Using the same smallbore and 300 mt equipment mine is also the same sizes even though my eyesight is very different.
But, you or any one else may end up using a totaly different set just as successfully.
Have fun and good shooting,
Robin
Robin,

I've read a good deal of your threads about your good self and your wives set-ups over on CAPA, can I ask if you or your wife have ever used a pointed post on the fore sight?

At the moment Im using the pointed post that came with my Diana-Original 24D as standard, a cheap diopter at the back as I'm only just starting, I find it helps me to stop canting the rifle, I worry that if I fit a O style fore sight I'll cant the rifle and not know it and causing inaccuracies...... what is your/wifes experiences of this?

Also you mention the sight distance apart, how far are you allowed to have them apart? I have thought about fitting an extension tube to move the fore sight forward, I'm just unsure as to what distance this is, it doesn't help that I have a fixed size diopter, believe its 1.1mm, and have yet to work out what sort of eye relief I like

you expert guidance wuld be most appreciated

Sean