Thread: Load Recommendations please - Roe Deer at 50m

Load Recommendations please - Roe Deer at 50m

Good afternoon.

I have a problem with Roe Deer in the Garden. We are extremely rural with no houses nearby but would prefer that if possible there is no over penetration of the round.

Available calibres are either a .25-06 or a .22-250 - I am in Scotland.

I assume that a heavier slow moving round i.e. from the 25-06 would be the best bet?

Any load recommendations please?

.222 would be ideal I would have thought.

but he hasn't got 1 has he,,talk nice to neighbours and explain the situation, could be a case of either calibre ,go for the 1 that you are most confident with.

Either as long as it has a bullet of at least 50 grains and makes at least 1,000 foot pounds

I don't think you have much choice on the over penetration though, so it comes down to where you want the bullet to land after the deer - just make sure its a fairly large and safe area, or shoot from above so the bullet goes into the ground.

At that range (and assuming you want them to drop on the spot and not run next door) you'll be going for the head.

Que the shouty ones now that headshots have been mentioned...
    Life is short, remember - Carpae Dentum ...

yep shooting from a high postion would be best, high seat or window......

tony
    anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new.

From the question it makes me wonder if you have Deer condition on your ticket ?

Next question is are you just killing them or wanting to eat them ?

I have deer on my certificate thanks. I would prefer to eat them as well but not sure why you would think otherwise? Is it because the query is not the usual - how fast can I stoke my rifle?

As you well know the fall of the spent round should be within your permission and while I do have permission on some of the adjoining land, not 3 plus fields away hence the query.

My ideal would be to shoot down from a raised hide aka the childrens tree house.

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    I have deer on my certificate thanks. I would prefer to eat them as well but not sure why you would think otherwise? Is it because the query is not the usual - how fast can I stoke my rifle?

As you well know the fall of the spent round should be within your permission and while I do have permission on some of the adjoining land, not 3 plus fields away hence the query.

My ideal would be to shoot down from a raised hide aka the childrens tree house.
    I have to admit that I AM confused about your question - the heaviest bullet in the 22-250 - 64gr PP - will exit at ca. 3500fps and the heaviest in the 25-06 - 120gr - ca. 2990fps. Both will quite happily clear your '3 plus fields' by at least a couple miles, maybe more.

Downloading to lower velocities past a definitive figure will not only be dangerous - read the advice in any reloading/loading manual - but the lower you go, the lower the muzzle energy - exponentially.

People do not generally buy a particular rifle calibre to make it go slower. Why not trade in your high-steppers for something more suitable for your current needs? A lever-action 30-30 will do what you want and still be power legal.

What you are trying to do right now is to throttle your formula 1 car to drive it through a car wash.

tac

jesus why all the confusion and debate,the 22,250 with a 50/55 gr pill in the head at 50 m job done from an elevated fireing point

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post

Because the question is what I would expect from a Troll or someone who had not a clue about shooting ! As Gpointer says a varmint pill at speed in a head or neck shot will blow the head or neck to gel without passing through.

Quote Originally Posted by coldweld View Post
    Because the question is what I would expect from a Troll or someone who had not a clue about shooting ! As Gpointer says a varmint pill at speed in a head or neck shot will blow the head or neck to gel without passing through.
    I was trying very hard to be polite with my post, but I have to agree with you, 100%.

Mong question, if you ax me.

tac