Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The apocalypse is coming.....

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post

HW80 .22, & as I wouldn't be worying about 12ftlb's anymore, an American market spring.
    Sort of ditto, but I'd opt for the 'K' version (carbine), and in .25 calibre, and set it at 22 ft.lb.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

So...

How are your HW80 and vintage BSA rifles going to hold up in the rain, snow, dirt, constant exposure of the Apocalypse? Do you really want steel for all the major components? To live, you may have to hold up in a downpour for hours... days. You may have to cache your rifle in the ground to keep it safe. I suspect, in short order, your nice pretty springers are going to be a hopeless mess. I maintain that one of the most important elements of such a gun is that it is made out of brass. Nothing else (except maybe titanium?) is going to survive in the really tough environments.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    How are your HW80 and vintage BSA rifles going to hold up in the rain, snow, dirt, constant exposure of the Apocalypse? Do you really want steel for all the major components? To live, you may have to hold up in a downpour for hours... days. You may have to cache your rifle in the ground to keep it safe. I suspect, in short order, your nice pretty springers are going to be a hopeless mess. I maintain that one of the most important elements of such a gun is that it is made out of brass. Nothing else (except maybe titanium?) is going to survive in the really tough environments.

Ah, yes, the good old nuclear rain.

The Walking Dead has got us concentrating on zombies here, Dean. A quick thrust into the brain and move onto the next.

An airpowered AK47 equivalent then? Allegedly impervious to virtually everything.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I must admit I did consider a self-contained pumper myself...however I was concerned that after a few years of day in, day out service I'd end up with a clanking mass of worn out pivots and shot seals...

my hw35 panzer

as magnummike already said a HW35 easy to fettle ,his has the export mine would be my HW35 panzer in .22 would reset it to where it was at first was at power wise as this 12ft/lbs limit would go out the window and again plenty of pellets and who needs a club when you have the misses use them instead of the dogs to retrieve your quarry
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

edbear2 Guest
    Bah Humbug, Steel is fine with a basic wipeover, I am assuming I will be able to find oil or grease, or an animal (or zombie) to render if things get tough...Old BSA's are tough as heck, and a few dings wont hurt them, plus you can use one as a club if you run out of pellets...Have a look at this battered old survivor I picked up at a flea fair, that looked like it had survived a few wars in it's 100 odd years of abuse;

http://www.network54.com/Forum/67054...quot%3B+models

A true Englishman would have nothing else!

ATB, Ed

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Got to be HW80 .25 FAC. Precharge and Co2 would soon be useless and I'd wager that one could find spares for springs (if one indeed did not begin with a couple anyway).

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    No contest my .270 Win.......well you did ask !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Sort of ditto, but I'd opt for the 'K' version (carbine), and in .25 calibre, and set it at 22 ft.lb.
    I can just see you, digging through the overgrown pile of rubble that used to be a gun shop, looking for a tin of .25's...

Anyway, you want a full length barrel to get a good swing when the ammo at last runs out & it becomes a club.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunstock_war_club
    Last edited by oliver13; 25-04-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Relum Tornado!
    Although I wouldn't need any pellets (because it wouldn't hit what I aimed at anyway ) it would make a wonderful club, sharpen the end of the barrel and it would become a spear. Also, with the plank like stock it would become a spade with the added benefit I wouldn't feel at all guilty.
    It could also be used as a skewer for holding the feats over the fire while it cooks. Any unfriendly natives/cannibals seeing me with one would probably take pity on me.
    Ah the swiss army Tornado you can also use the foresight as a tooth pick and if stripped there are so many springs in it you could make a nice matress to sleep on
    A few nice rifles

relum

id go for the relum cos it could also come in handy as a paddle if desperate

.22lr all the way

My hybrid FWB 124/7 in .177 with it's 4x32 scope.

It ain't fancy, but it's lasted 40 years - so has the scope, and was recently rebuilt and retuned by Airmasters, and groups as well as most of my pcp's.

.177 is my choice because ammo lighter as I'll be grabbing all I can from my storage cupboard, ballpark 1 kg of .177 pellets (count wise) equates to 2 kg of .22's.

If the choice was outside of air rifles, it'd be .22lr (with a silencer) and maybe a 5.56mm CF for defence and larger game, as those two rounds will (IMHO) be the currency that's traded throughout Europe and North America - I didnt opt for .223 as 5.56mm barrel with also readily accept .223, but doesnt safely work the other way around, esp with military ball.
    Last edited by Matou; 25-04-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Edbear is right, a BSA standard or similar is a truly durable air rifle, it will outlast all others. Add a decent 12bore muzzleloader to the armoury & you are good to go.

I would take

Some vintage Sheridan .....best American pumper ever .

Probally my 1951 Silver Streak or my beautiful Sheridan model"B" 1951 Sporter... American Quality

Guns that have survived and served me well for 50 years..