Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The apocalypse is coming.....

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Question The apocalypse is coming.....

...and its time to grab just one rifle (or pistol if that's your choice) to put the odd bit of food on the table and get rid of the rats, etc....

So what are you going to take and in what calibre?

Something older and capable of years of everyday service without attention or access to shops carrying spares?
    Or something newer?...I'll allow a stirrup pump if you want to take something pre-charged

.22 springer for me, and if you allow a stirrup pump as a spare then i'll take a spring and a seal just in case

Hmmm it would have to be an
    fx bobcat Indy for me .25
    Lots power, easy charging, bullpup

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    No thought needed, a Mk1 Airsporter!

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

HW80 .22, & as I wouldn't be worying about 12ftlb's anymore, an American market spring.

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    TX200, I would want something extremely heavy, so it could be used as a club too if my shooting was off
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

HW35e in .177 cos you could carry lots of pellets , and would sharpen the end of the 22" barrel so when out of pellets you could use it as a pike for self defence
    A few nice rifles

I have just survived Armageddon and I have my vintage pop gun with me for survival!

I do hope we don't start to see Zombie killer threads appearing in collectables!

Relum Tornado!
    Although I wouldn't need any pellets (because it wouldn't hit what I aimed at anyway ) it would make a wonderful club, sharpen the end of the barrel and it would become a spear. Also, with the plank like stock it would become a spade with the added benefit I wouldn't feel at all guilty.
    It could also be used as a skewer for holding the feats over the fire while it cooks. Any unfriendly natives/cannibals seeing me with one would probably take pity on me.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

It would have to be,

My .17 HMR Elephant gun.

A vintage American pneumatic.

Problem with the springers is; What do you do when it breaks? And, if the springer has any real power, they always break at some point. Then, you're dead in the water without spares. With the old Crosman pneumatics a small handful of seals and a few o-rings you're set for decades. The Crosman Town and Country Jr .22 (model 110) is my personal choice for Apocalypse Gun. All brass construction, easy to repair, plenty of power, small and lightweight. The early (all brass) model 120 is also a top choice.

Recoiless too,so more likely to actually hit something!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Problem with the springers is; What do you do when it breaks? And, if the springer has any real power, they always break at some point. Then, you're dead in the water without spares. With the old Crosman pneumatics a small handful of seals and a few o-rings you're set for decades. The Crosman Town and Country Jr .22 (model 110) is my personal choice for Apocalypse Gun. All brass construction, easy to repair, plenty of power, small and lightweight. The early (all brass) model 120 is also a top choice.
    I have dithered between a MK1 sporter and my actual choice, but for getting dinner it would have to be;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31228487@N07/3375320952/

Full power in the mid 11's, accurate out to 60 yards plus, built to last and last...It's 103 years old already, and still will outlast me, and the next owner and probably the next!

These were made to the same standards, and with the same equipment as military hardware of the time, with over-engineering everywhere, which is why so many survive, so unless a mainspring let go, nothing else normally gives any trouble

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    HW80 .22, & as I wouldn't be worying about 12ftlb's anymore, an American market spring.
    Me too. Although I'd be settling for a slightly softer spring and maybe 15ft.lbs and smooth, but not lazy, cycle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I have dithered between a MK1 sporter and my actual choice, but for getting dinner it would have to be;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31228487@N07/3375320952/

Full power in the mid 11's, accurate out to 60 yards plus, built to last and last...It's 103 years old already, and still will outlast me, and the next owner and probably the next!

These were made to the same standards, and with the same equipment as military hardware of the time, with over-engineering everywhere, which is why so many survive, so unless a mainspring let go, nothing else normally gives any trouble

ATB, Ed
    That is BEAUTIFUL, Ed.

Must own one.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!