Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW35 Leather piston seal

BEESA is offline A Man walks in to a bar.....

HW35 Leather piston seal

Hi chaps , could anyone point me in the direction of a new one please . I also need the red plastic bit that holds the seal on the piston .
    Thanks for now ,
    Don ..

Quote Originally Posted by BEESA View Post
    Hi chaps , could anyone point me in the direction of a new one please . I also need the red plastic bit that holds the seal on the piston .
    Thanks for now ,
    Don ..
    Chambers or Knibbs?

You need to buy a new Piston or a conversion kit to use a synthetic seal, probably just easier to buy a new piston from Knibbs at £30.
    Last edited by Spanner.; 19-04-2014 at 09:25 AM.

If you fit a synthetic seal you'll be best to sleeve the transfer port down to 2.8mm if yours is has a 4mm port.

There was someone in the collectors section making leather seals if that's the way you'd like to go, so probably best to ask in there.

All the best Mick

Thanks for the replies . I have just measured the port and it is 3mm , would that be ok with the new type seal .
    Many thanks again .
    Don ..

Have sent you a PM.

HW35 leather seal

Hi Beesa, I have a used but in good condition one and the red bit if you want it, I don't have a 35 any more so you can have it if still required, just pm me your address and I will dig it out of my bits box over the weekend and post it of to you?
    ATB
    Stuart.

Thanks for the replies . I have just measured the port and it is 3mm , would that be ok with the new type seal .
    Many thanks again .
    Don ..
    Hi Don sorry for the late reply.

Yes a 3mm port would be OK with the synthetic seal.

It sounds like your 35 comes from the mid to late 1970s when Weihrauch used both 3mm and 4mm transfer ports on leather sealed guns.

By the way, does your gun have a single sided safety and 11mm scope rails ?

All the best Mick

As Mick says, with a 3mm port, your rifle should be very happy using the later synthetic seal.
    These seals will tend to give more consistent velocities.
    Plus, once you have your synthetic seal adaptor, it gives you the freedom to try a few different ones, if you wish....Apparently, the latest Weihrauch seal is very, very good, and is available for the 30mm bore guns, the 80 and 35. And you can also choose from V-Mach, Vortek and Maccari.

A lot depends on what you want to achieve with your 35 as, I must admit, if it's more for just informal use, these old girls do actually feel very nice with the old leather seals.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Mick , yes 11mm tails and single side safety . It also has a thumbhole stock . It does need some , well a fair amount of work . A reblue and the stock needs refinishing but the great thing was that it looks as though its never been apart . A lovely old thing that I will be relishing restoring .
    Thanks again ,
    Don ..

Hi Tony , thanks for that . I am going along the leather seal route as it is going to be a plinking gun and hopefully give my 10 year old grandson an intro into spring gun shooting :-)
    Thanks
    Din ..

Hi Tony , thanks for that . I am going along the leather seal route as it is going to be a plinking gun and hopefully give my 10 year old grandson an intro into spring gun shooting :-)
    Thanks
    Din ..
    No worries!

They do feel nice and more "old school" with the leather seal.

Will you be cocking it for your grandson?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Lol , I think I will have to , the barrel is the length of a javelin . I just have to convince the good lady that he will be fine :-)
    Don ..

. I just have to convince the good lady that he will be fine :-)
    Don ..
    Of course he'll be fine.

Blimey, he's going to be a lucky little lad; to be able to shoot one of these classy rifles at such a young age.
    Nice one!

Just for interest. Today I stripped a Chinese Chunk, for a mate, cocked but wouldn't fire 'cos the anti amputation wouldn't release.
    Anyway turned out to be disintegrated leather cup washer 25mm dia.
    Made one up from an old leather belt, bit of a clean up and lube. sealing & firing fine 650 fps . About an hour's work. Good luck.

Hi Mick , yes 11mm tails and single side safety . It also has a thumbhole stock . It does need some , well a fair amount of work . A reblue and the stock needs refinishing but the great thing was that it looks as though its never been apart . A lovely old thing that I will be relishing restoring .
    Thanks again ,
    Don ..
    Is that a third party stock as I didn't think weihrauch did a thumbhole stock for the HW35,not the early ones anyway, thought they only done conventional style in beech or walnut.