Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Umerex Colt 1911 - Backstrap Safety

Umerex Colt 1911 - Backstrap Safety

Is the backstrap safety as bad as I have heard (clunky/difficult to fully compress)? Has anyone successfully made the action smoother to operate, if so is that easy to do? Is the mod to bypass this function easy and is it permanent or reversible?

It can be a bit tedious and is better fixed.

There are different ways to do it ,some reversible.
    My mate uses sugru and I have another 1911 where a bracket has been made and screwed into the pistol.
    I will ask him to advise.
    If other technical chaps don't answer first.

Thanks, grateful for any information that will help make it more user friendly.

Aimstraight, there are a few ways to keep the backstrap permanently compressed. I find that most of them are an overdone job, and the easiest way which also can be quickly reversed if required is to use Sugru. Get access to the bottom of the grip safety lever by removing the right grip and the bottom part of the backstrap which slides out after you remove the bottom pin.Roll a small ball of black Sugru and insert it under the bottom of the grip safety.Now compress the safefy fully closed with your hand and allow the Sugru to set overnight. The rubber will hold the the lever shut and the transfer bar will be permanently be in position between the hammer and the exhaust valve. You can remove the rubber easily at any time if you want the grip safety to function.

Baz

We have had problems with the Umarex Colt not indexing correctly when firing single action. The pellet can be up to 20 thou out of line with barrel causing a misfire, or low power shots in single action, although when firing double action there is no problem.The problem can be with the pawl (hand) or with the complete trigger group. Both of these are available as replacements. Another mod we do to get better results from this pistol is after fixing the grip safety, we remove the floppy transfer bar altogether. This means the surface of the hammer needs to be increased by 1.5mm to make up the thickness of the transfer bar. We drill and tap the hammer 3mm and screw a modified bolt into it which has had the head machined down to 1.5mm to hit the valve correctly.After these mods you get really consistent single and double action shooting with the pistol.

Baz

Thanks Baz, that sounds like a very good solution, and I have some black Sugru!

Wow, thanks for that. Makes me a bit wary about getting one now, but at least I know what to look out for and the fixes. Many thanks.

Good read about the fix. I had mine pinned along with a tune by PhilC on the UBC forum, dramatically improved the pistol.

http://www.waveform.eclipse.co.uk/WE...P%20SAFETY.htm

I have tried 1911's with untouched and pinned grip safeties and the pinned safeties are really good

Thanks to all for your prompt replies. The link from Bazmati gives me a very good idea what to expect to see if I venture inside to carefully carry out any sort of mod (pin or sugru lockdown).

For half the price of the Umarex you can get the Tanfoglio Witness that looks and operates as the real steel.
    Including a proper backstrap safety that really works.
    Bb shooter.
    It won't last as long as the Umarex but you just buy another one!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    For half the price of the Umarex you can get the Tanfoglio Witness that looks and operates as the real steel.
    Including a proper backstrap safety that really works.
    Bb shooter.
    It won't last as long as the Umarex but you just buy another one!
    Totally correct - I have two already plus a spare mag

However, I prefer pellet shooters (more flexible/fewer rebounds). I also like the heftyness of the umerex pellet pistols

You were ahead of me !

I would buy a good second Umarex 1911 Centenary Model which come up for sale now and again.
    Nice gloss finish and great grips.
    Failing that a nice Nickel finish one.
    Again second hand, as Umarex stopped making them.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    You were ahead of me !

I would buy a good second Umarex 1911 Centenary Model which come up for sale now and again.
    Nice gloss finish and great grips.
    Failing that a nice Nickel finish one.
    Again second hand, as Umarex stopped making them.
    You read my mind I'm buying a nice used nickel one right now I don't mind a bit of bling when it's on a 1911 I have established its condition, and it would benefit from the backstrap mod and probably removal of the transfer bar and adding the bolt to compensate on the hammer.

Don't go mad!
    Some of mine work fine without mods.
    Including my nickel one.
    But that was new.