Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Switching from 22 to 177

Quote Originally Posted by Seanw226 View Post
    But what am I looking for as I can't find anything on internet or YouTube that shows how this works?
    It's been a few years now since I had an NV scope, but I used a "Corsak infrared laser". There were two models available when I bought mine - one with turrets to make it easier to zero and one's that didn't have a turret that were cheaper but not very easy to zero. (I had the cheaper one that wasn't very easy to zero).

I don't know what the NV lads use now or whether you can still buy them. Maybe someone on the NV sub forum will know.

I'm using a daystate air wolf tactical 177, jsb exacts 8.4 grn, zeroed at 35 yds. I don't do target shooting ie belong to a club, I practice in the field when zeroeing with paper targets.
    Good kit ...... you should only have 1/4" rise at 25yds and 1/4" drop at 40 ....
    From 12 to 40 yards you should be able to aim straight at a rabbits head without hold over/under
    Does it group tight enough man , we started off in a field too man before we took up targets properly
    We used extra strong mints as targets , good size to aim at ,and the explode which somehow makes ya grin, more fun than just paper
    I would stick at it man , bit more practice , has it been chronoed as there is a thread on here about that rifle which has a problem
    Good luck
    Steve
    VAYA CON DIOS

But what am I looking for as I can't find anything on internet or YouTube that shows how this works?

There seems to be a few people interested in the laser set up, a member on AAOC, "Morgan" uses a system he calls "LOAS" or laser on a stick!
    Basically the laser is mounted higher than the scope but both zeroed at one point. Not exactly sure what the rest of the kit is but he is no friend to the rabbits! A search on AAOC may give you some more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Very good post man........ .177 lot more forgiving..... think about FT or HFT...which actually use large kill zones
    Almost everyone who wants to score well uses .177 cos if ya dont hit the kill ya dont score
    Relying on a calibre 1mm larger in diameter but double the weight makes no sense , in case ya miss the vital and hope the pellet does enough damage anyway
    Shooting anything living should be humane and not a roulette.
    Use 177 and head shots only
    Thanks dude.
    This test was conducted in 1998 using benched Rapids which were the Bees Knees back then.....still are I think.

I agree with the other comment regarding the wind issue but I never have been able to call it in favour of one calibre when it comes to wind. I.E .22 less effected due to mass versus .177 at around 850fps moving an awful lot faster, being in the air for much less time to be affected.
    Ofcourse we can talk wind effects and pellet types all night long, especially light weght .22 or heavy .177 but fact remains, on paper, the .177 is more accurate through the vertical plane....in my experience the most difficult to control and the greatest margins.
    I ran off 5 groups yesterday and have them here, Using a Daystate Huntsman.
    The pellets never stray laterally more than about 20mm but string double this across the various ranges I shot.
    It must suggest that group sizes are effected much more by vertical stringing unless wind is high.
    This must make .177 more accurate.
    This Huntsman (pre Regal) is wonderful in .177 by the way.

Ok I'm interested to hear from people who switched from 22 to 177 for hunting. Being a staunch 22 man I got fed up with the loopy trajectory of 22 and heard how accurate and how flat the trajectory of 177 is, so I bought a 177. Personally I'm finding it difficult, I don't think the accuracy is any better. 177 pellets also have a loopy trajectory. Ok they go further but when they hit home the power has gone. People have mentioned heavier pellets like bisley mags and logun penetrators, is this the answer to getting more kills? With such a small kill zone, a smaller lighter pellet and add in the wind etc I'm beginning to think the switch was big mistake.

why dont you go for .20 then

If you want a IR target designator there are some on the bay but it's just another gizmo to set up & learn.

TBH I think you've confused yourself & need to start again from scratch, use chairgun to get the best zero range for your rifle, zero the sight to the rifle & shoot some targets at night to get confidence in the set-up, the easiest way to range find at night is as I said before to learn how big a rabbit (or your given target) is on your ret at 20-30-40yds.

I'm assuming that you have already tested for the best grouping pellet in YOUR rifle & in daylight it all works correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

TBH I think you've confused yourself & need to start again from scratch, use chairgun to get the best zero range for your rifle, zero the sight to the rifle & shoot some targets at night to get confidence in the set-up, the easiest way to range find at night is as I said before to learn how big a rabbit (or your given target) is on your ret at 20-30-40yds.
    Second that. When I first started using night vision, range estimation took a bit of time getting used to. I drew a bunny sized target on a piece of white card and marked out various ranges and practised at each range to help get used to the size of a rabbit's head. I took note of the number of mildots wide the head was at each distance using my chosen magnification. I practise and zero before I start shooting rabbits each night so it's fresh in my mind - works well.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377