Thread: Standard cross hair

Standard cross hair

Of those of you using a standard cross hair scope for hunting how do you work out the aim points for different ranges

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    Of those of you using a standard cross hair scope for hunting how do you work out the aim points for different ranges
    Use a Mil-dot....

Quote Originally Posted by Scaley View Post
    Use a Mil-dot....
    Wot e said, but you can use a fairly close zero, say 25 yards, and with a multi X ret you can workout hold over for ranges like, "top of thick post," "half way up thin wire," etc. Another method, if you know the size of your target is to think in terms of inches or cm. to hold over, eg, "perched pigeon, 35 yards, half in. Holdover." You need to set up targets at different ranges to work out the hold over you need.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Standard cross hairs presumably you mean 30/30 reticle. I would only use this type of scope on a.177 air rifle with pellets no heavier than about 8.5 grains, I would zero the scope at 32 yards. Zeroed at this distance you can shoot most pest species between 10 and 35 yds and you will not be more than a quarter of an inch out up or down. Side winds are just down to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Waisted View Post
    Standard cross hairs presumably you mean 30/30 reticle. I would only use this type of scope on a.177 air rifle with pellets no heavier than about 8.5 grains, I would zero the scope at 32 yards. Zeroed at this distance you can shoot most pest species between 10 and 35 yds and you will not be more than a quarter of an inch out up or down. Side winds are just down to practice.
    I am indeed referring to the 30/30 reticle

wellhouse0 Guest

reticle

as per waisted - on .177 8.44gn, zeroed around 34yds on 11.6 i have shot out to 45 yards no problem with just the crosshair or the little red dot (leupold vxr) between about 13 and 38yds i just aim on the crosshair and if going for rabbits at 45yds i just aim at the top of the head which is about the right amount of hold for me. Makes everything much less cluttered for quick hunting shots. You soon get used to it and i personally wouldn't bother with mil dot type reticles for 'normal' non fac .177 hunting.

Practice.....when I started out many years ago my .177 HW77 had a standard 30/30 cross hair scope mounted on it and I bagged plenty of bunnies.....mill dots are easier though I admit
    Last edited by Trumpetier; 25-04-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Are we referring to 30-30/Duplex, or standard cross hair reticles?
    I actually prefer a 30/30 on my .22lr and standard cross (or cross and dot) for targets.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Are we referring to 30-30/Duplex, or standard cross hair reticles?
    I actually prefer a 30/30 on my .22lr and standard cross (or cross and dot) for targets.
    Referring to the 30/30 craig

I don't often hunt with a 30/30 ret, but the last time I did I set the magnification of the scope so that the thick post subtended to about 3.4Moa (i.e. a milliradian)
    That way I effectively had a mildot scope but with just one mildot above and below the crosshair. Which when you think about it, is pretty much all you'll need for hunting distances with a .177 anyway.

If you zero at the apex of the trajectory for your pellet (about 20 or 25 yards for .22), then you will only have holdover, never hold under. Now you can use the top of the thick part of the post as the aim point for long range (~50 yards), you should easily be able to judge where the middle of these two is giving another aim point, and it should not be byond the wit of man to have a reasonable guess at a point 1/4 and 3/4 of the way between the two as well.

So this gives you 5 virtual aim points equally spaced (0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1), you just need to get out on the range or possibly use chair gun to figure out what they are for your particular setup, mag settings, etc.. It will never be as precise as using a proper multi aim point reticle, but in principle I don't see why you couldn't do even better than 5 virtual aim points with some practice.

Referring to the 30/30 craig
    Then as Brian says, the 30/30 plex will give all the hunting points needed for airgun ranges to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Then as Brian says, the 30/30 plex will give all the hunting points needed for airgun ranges to be fair.
    And so nice to look through after using one of them there Christmas tree jobbies!

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    And so nice to look through after using one of them there Christmas tree jobbies!
    Very true mate, it's a pleasure to use my fuss free .22lr carbine - with 'unfashionable scope'