Thread: Honeycomb sunshades / opinions please

Honeycomb sunshades / opinions please

Hi all

I am thinking of putting a sunshade on my scope that is fitted to my HW100 to reduce glare, but as I only use the rifle for the occasional spot of bunny bashing, I am thinking that the longer standard size shades may bit OTT while out in the field.

I was therefore wondering if any of you guys have any experience of honeycomb sunshades and how effective they are, as they look a lot smaller and a bit more appropiate for stalking around while out in the field. I have no experience of any kind where sunshades are concerned, so any info both good or bad will be greatly appreciated,

John
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

I think honeycomb shades are really about appearance, popular with Airsofter's etc. - an inch or so of normal tube sunshade is enough if you're bothered by glare & I don't think it will be OTT at all.

They do work well enough though, I had a look through a couple back when my son was into Airsoft & couldn't see any obvious degradation of the sight picture though I suppose it must have been there to some extent.

If you think the rabbits will see scope glint & drop a load of mortars on you, I'd definitely get one.

Hi,
    If you mean glare from the scope that a bunny might see then they can be quite good. Think this was their original purpose.
    Otherwise get a shade. Mine cuts glare if the sun is low.
    But, what shades are perfect for is keeping the rain off Now essential for this reason.
    si
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I had a honeycombe once - it was OK in very bright sunshine, but it general light (still bright) it darkened the whole image quite a bit..

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I had a honeycombe once - it was OK in very bright sunshine, but it general light (still bright) it darkened the whole image quite a bit..
    Agree with this. I still have one in a pocket of my rifle slip. I used to use it with my mamba lite, but took it off as the sight picture was noticeably darker in anything other than direct bright sunshine. Also, I think chromatic abberations were more noticable around the fringe of the sight picture, but whether this was somehow caused by the honeycomb or just made it easier to see what was already there, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the replies and info lads
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal