Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a Crossman 600?

Where can I get a Crosman 600?

Thanks to recommendations on another thread, I now want one of these little beauties.

Can anyone point me towards a source please?

Cheers Simon
    Last edited by Gurmot; 21-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Thanks to recommendations on another thread, I now want one of these little beauties.

Cheers Simon
    Keep your eyes open on the for sale section,oh and happy hunting!

Cheers.

Roy.

p.s. mine will be buried with me!
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

I kept my eyes on the for sale section here and as soon as one came up I bought it. That was three months ago and I've used it everyday since - coming up for 8000 pellets now!

One hint - as soon as one comes up pay the asking price immediately because if you waste time making offers someone else will beat you to it. That's how I got mine - I could see others were emailing so I just jumped straight in.

Good luck - when you get one you won't be disappointed.

Cheers Simon
    Hi Simon,

I picked mine up from Keith Bayliss at the Bisley Arms Fair in a few weeks ago. Keith attends most of the Arms Fairs and can be counted on to have just about anything you could wish to own. He had three nice 600s for sale (two boxed) together with a Plink-0-Matic, which I believe is its BB firing version of the 600.

Keep your eyes open and I'm sure one will come along soon.

Regards

Brian

Thanks to an eagle eyed member of this forum I was guided to online sale and will be collecting my 600 tomorrow

The seller tells me he has several he will be selling so I will ask for more details. As a newbie, perhaps someone could pm me with a quick reference to how to price these?

What a wonderful forum this is!

Simon

crosman 600

Hi would you pm detais of the chap selling? Thanks
    Last edited by matt 1966; 20-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks to an eagle eyed member of this forum I was guided to online sale and will be collecting my 600 tomorrow

The seller tells me he has several he will be selling so I will ask for more details. As a newbie, perhaps someone could pm me with a quick reference to how to price these?

What a wonderful forum this is!

Simon
    Hi Simon,

Here is a link to a to an article from a USA site which gives some good advice on the care and feeding of the Crosman 600.

http://www.co2airguns.net/collection...0600/index.htm

I'm certainly no expert, but here are a couple of tips Iv'e picked-up since owning my own pistol:

It's best to use flat head pellets with Webley Verminpel being favourite although RWS Hobby should also work well.

Always make sure the safety is on and the pistol is manually cocked before inserting the Co2 capsule. This is achieved by moving the little cocking latch to the rear and then returning it to its forward position. I believe there are three variants of pistol using slightly different methods of piercing the capsule. Mine is the earlier version where the capsule is inserted with the neck facing out towards the muzzle end.

After inserting the capsule the end cap is turned fully clockwise until it will turn no further. The cap must then be turned approximately 1/8th anticlockwise to release the gas into the cylinder. Don't worry that you might release all the gas and you may hear a small 'hiss' before the cylinder seal stops any further loss of gas. You may want to just discharge a single shot in a safe direction to ensure the pistol is ready to load. The magazine is loaded by pulling and locking the spring loaded follower to the rear and placing the pellets into the channel. The follower should then be unlocked and gently eased forward and you are ready to go.

As there is some mechanical action involved, you can only expect around 30 full power shots with a further 5 or so lower powered shots. Although the magazine will hold 10 pellets, I have found the best way to avoid jams and provide the most accurate results is obtained by shooting a series of double taps (2 consecutive shots) lowering the pistol in between 2 shot bursts. After a series of 5 magazine loads (30 pellets) I discharge the remaining gas with an empty magazine. This doesn't mean you cant occasionally load and rapidly fire 10 shot bursts just for the hell of it.

It's not as complicated as it may sound, and you shouldn't have too many problems provided you take proper care with charging and the extra safety precautions associated with this type of pistol.

Current prices for these pistols seem be around £200-£250 for an unboxed example and up to £350 for a boxed pistol in crisp condition.

Owners Manual and Exploded Diagram can be found here:

http://www.airgunartisans.com/CR600.htm

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 20-04-2014 at 10:09 PM.

All I would say with the 600 is use Verminpell - it will cycle endlessly - anything else just jams.
    I have now put 8k Verminpells through it and it just slams them out.

As has been said you MUST cock it before loading the CO2 cartridge.

If it does jam - don't panic and start poking bits of wire etc - all you need do is empty the magazine (back off the pellets) re-cock and fire once or twice and that'll clear it.

A lovely pistol that needs consideration.
    Last edited by PaulR; 20-04-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Mission accomplished!

Well that didn't take long! I am now a proud 600 owner and I'm very impressed by this gun. Given it's age it's a very neat and quite powerful repeater.

Will try to take some pictures later but right now I want to be outside shooting

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Simon

Come on Simon - tell us how much fun you have been having with it!

Well that didn't take long! I am now a proud 600 owner and I'm very impressed by this gun. Given it's age it's a very neat and quite powerful repeater.

Will try to take some pictures later but right now I want to be outside shooting

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Simon
    Hello Simon,

I recently put my 600 through a Chronograph with the following results:

Crosman 600 Semi-Auto Co2 pistol using the recommended Webley Verminpel .22 flat head pellets which weigh 14.3 grns.

10 shots produced an average muzzle velocity of 360 ft/sec which equates to an average muzzle energy of 4.08 ft/lbs. Lowest muzzle velocity recorded was 358 ft/sec and highest was 364 ft/sec so very little variation.

The pistol also produced average groups of around 1.5" at 10 metres when shot in 2 pellet strings resting the pistol in between strings.

Looking forward to hearing how you got on and seeing a few pictures of your new pistol.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Simon,

I recently put my 600 through a Chronograph with the following results:

Crosman 600 Semi-Auto Co2 pistol using the recommended Webley Verminpel .22 flat head pellets which weigh 14.3 grns.

10 shots produced an average muzzle velocity of 360 ft/sec which equates to an average muzzle energy of 4.08 ft/lbs. Lowest muzzle velocity recorded was 358 ft/sec and highest was 364 ft/sec so very little variation.

The pistol also produced average groups of around 1.5" at 10 metres when shot in 2 pellet strings resting the pistol in between strings.

Looking forward to hearing how you got on and seeing a few pictures of your new pistol.

Regards

Brian
    Thank you Brian - useful stats.

I do hope though that at a certain point you just pulled the trigger as fast as you could purely for the sheer pleasure of firing off as many rounds as possible despite accuracy or the thought of recording useful information.

Yes, thank you Brian, they certainly feel powerful and quite a bit louder than I expected! Almost like a live firing pistol, not exactly a stealth gun!

So confession time (sorry no pictures yet), I actually bought two of these littles beauties today. The seller had a couple with him and just got carried away with the moment! Saying that, there is something of a pattern here as I already have two Webley Juniors, and a Webley Tempest and Hurricane (almost a pair!).

One of them has been running like a dream and has had a couple sets of 10 pellets through it without issue. The other jammed on the second set, but I contacted the seller and he talked me through the process of unjamming. A minor issue with a split o ring on the cylinder cap but he is sending me some spares in the post. I was using round head pellets I already had but have ordered some Vermin Pell's as recommended so hopefully all will be good.

So there you have it, only been a member for a Few days and I already have two new guns, plus another couple in the pipe

Verminpells may not be the only suitable 600 pellet. I usually use Hobbys on the rare occasion I shoot any of mine, but most 'Wadcutters' should perform satisfactorily.

I don't have a 600 but I do have a couple of 400 rifles and find Gamo Lead Ball (15.43g) as well as Crosman Match and Webley Verminpell (both 14.3g) function perfectly in the tubular magazines.