Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie pistol Advice

Single shot = Accurate but boring

Umarex = looks ok bit of fun and reasonably accurate.

BB (with working slide) = Kinda inaccurate but so much fun.

I would suggest it depends on what you really want, if its super accurate paper punching or slow ass tin can shooting the 40 or 45 will be fine.

If you want to knock a few cans down at short range and 1" ish groups are ok the umarex are pretty good.

If you just wanna grin factor the TFW 1911 etc bb pistols are hard to beat ( but the ricochet of the steel bbs is something to watch out for)

I am proud to admit I bought the TFW as for £90 new I thought I would give it a try, now look at my signature for "fun" guns its addictive so be warned!!!
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

Quote Originally Posted by Owillingham View Post
    Thank you, that comment is really informative and has given me plenty to think about. I have just been looking at reviews of the HW40 and HW45, and am now seriously considering the HW45, I'm liking the idea of a bit of recoil where its a springer (figured it would make it more fun to shoot), and reading the reviews should be very accurate once a proper technique is mastered. Like I said before, I don't mind missing when I know its me at fault, but would get really frustrated if the gun wouldn't shoot straight no matter how good I became, and I've got the feeling from the reviews that this wouldn't be an issue. I like the sound of how heavy and well built it is, and looking at images it looks pretty sweet too. The only downside I can see, is that its obviously only single shot, but I'm not going to find a pistol to tick all the boxes so may end up with a repeater at a later date, at least I wouldn't have to buy CO2 as well. Anyone reading this own a HW45 and can give me their own opinions?
    Absolutely love my HW45.

I had one back in 1988. Can't remember how and why now, but foolishly sold it.

Got another four years ago. Love it to bits. It's a keeper, for sure. And would add another, anytime.
    For sheer quality of build, power, accuracy, trigger and character, they are SUPERB.
    Yes, my 40 is so much easier to shoot accurately, but the 45 is a huge fistful of sheer fun.

Love the smell!!

There have been one or two threads on here recently on tuning this superb pistol, worth a read. And, of the reviews you've read, have you read the Todd Cooper ones on the 40 and 45?

Buy both!!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    ...Buy both!!!!!
    Ahh... the nub of the issue of gun ownership - the 'buy both' should in truth probably be interpreted better as 'buy many' and not be limited to just the 40 & 45

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Thank you, that comment is really informative and has given me plenty to think about. I have just been looking at reviews of the HW40 and HW45, and am now seriously considering the HW45, I'm liking the idea of a bit of recoil where its a springer (figured it would make it more fun to shoot), and reading the reviews should be very accurate once a proper technique is mastered. Like I said before, I don't mind missing when I know its me at fault, but would get really frustrated if the gun wouldn't shoot straight no matter how good I became, and I've got the feeling from the reviews that this wouldn't be an issue. I like the sound of how heavy and well built it is, and looking at images it looks pretty sweet too. The only downside I can see, is that its obviously only single shot, but I'm not going to find a pistol to tick all the boxes so may end up with a repeater at a later date, at least I wouldn't have to buy CO2 as well. Anyone reading this own a HW45 and can give me their own opinions?
    Your posts make interesting reading and are full of issues that will fight against each other.
    If it helps I would first put in order the things that are important to you and then fill that with the things you would like as a bonus.
    Be honest with yourself - if you want the look and feel in the hand of a combat auto-loader then say so as you'll only come back to it later although this does come with the caveat that you need to accept that such guns are really just fun items and real accuracy is not their forte.
    If accuracy and shot placement is important, then personally I'd recommend starting with a recoiless pistol to get the basics of hold, sight picture, trigger release and follow-through.
    When you have mastered this I'd maybe trade to a springer if thats what you want to do.
    If you do it the other way around theres a good chance you'll get frustrated at the apparent lack of accuracy and it'll get slung in a draw or sold.
    HW45's are OK and well made, however they are not particularly pleasant to shoot TBH and have a habit of dieselling like a bastard (I've had 2 in both calibres and sold them both for what thats worth).
    Personally I think the suggestion of an HW40 was a good one as a starting gun, its recoiless with a decent trigger and capable of placing shots accurately enough to say any misses are down to you and not the gun.

+1 for the HW40 (then maybe a fun action repeater, springer or both).
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 23-04-2014 at 07:34 PM. Reason: springer and both added!

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Your posts make interesting reading and are full of issues that will fight against each other.
    If it helps I would first put in order the things that are important to you and then fill that with the things you would like as a bonus.
    Be honest with yourself - if you want the look and feel in the hand of a combat auto-loader then say so as you'll only come back to it later although this does come with the caveat that you need to accept that such guns are really just fun items and real accuracy is not their forte.
    If accuracy and shot placement is important, then personally I'd recommend starting with a recoiless pistol to get the basics of hold, sight picture, trigger release and follow-through.
    When you have mastered this I'd maybe trade to a springer if thats what you want to do.
    If you do it the other way around theres a good chance you'll get frustrated at the apparent lack of accuracy and it'll get slung in a draw or sold.
    HW45's are OK and well made, however they are not particularly pleasant to shoot TBH and have a habit of dieselling like a bastard (I've had 2 in both calibres and sold them both for what thats worth).
    Personally I think the suggestion of an HW40 was a good one as a starting gun, its recoiless with a decent trigger and capable of placing shots accurately enough to say any misses are down to you and not the gun.
    I know I must sound a bit whimsy with what I'm looking for, and clearly I won't find a single gun that will do everything and compromises need to be made. Ultimately I want something enjoyable enough to make me want to keep using it and improve, I love the sound of a blow back repeater but thinking logicaly I know that whilst it would be the most "fun", the novelty would definitely wear off quickly when I can't shoot consistent groups. I think I have decided that I have to go for accuracy if I'm going to stay interested enough to use it regularly, and justify the initial outlay to myself. I brought an S410TDR to use as my main rifle a few years back, getting the TDR version as I thought it would be the most "fun" as I could pretend to be james bond every time I put it together, but if it hadn't been accurate there is no way I would ever use it. And in fact although I still love putting it together and taking it apart everytime I go out with it, the low shot count drove me crazy, almost decided to part with it, but instead spent a load more money on it, changing the air cylinder and installing a reg. It is now a rifle that I will never part with as for me it is perfect, but If I had the opportunity to go back and choose again, I would probably have just got the carbine and lived without the gimmick of a TDR (Not saying TDR's are a gimmick, they clearly have a use if you need to use public transport etc, but I don't actually need the facility of taking it apart). I'm trying to use this hindsight with the rifle in my decision making for the pistol, rightly or wrongly (probably is no real answer to that) I'm very much swayed towards the HW45. Providing I get the opportunity to scan my drivers license without the other half noticing (don't want to have to explain how much money I'm about to squander) I may very well be ordering a new one from Germany tonight, unless of course I get doubts/second thoughts etc. Will let you know later if I order one.

You can just take a photo of your licence and email it to them, I did that save showing the other half the scanning in action
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

The idea floated by TonyL to buy both is actually worth looking at seriously. Given the savings possible from buying from germany, you would benefit from being able to compare both and sell one if you wish...probably without losing much (if any) money! A HW40 sold on here yesterday within an hour or so! Worth exploring how much more the postage would be (if any)? I would much rather try them both locally before buying, but appreciate this is not always viable.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 23-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    The idea floated by TonyL to buy both is actually worth looking at seriously. Given the savings possible from buying from germany, you would benefit from being able to compare both and sell one if you wish...probably without losing much (if any) money! A HW40 sold on here yesterday within an hour or so! Worth exploring how much more the postage would be (if any)? I would much rather try them both locally before buying, but appreciate this is not always viable.
    Well, its a little bit late now as I've just ordered the HW45 in .177

Didn't seem as great a deal as I had originally hoped, with the delivery, exchange rate and £4 fee for doing the bank transfer, it has cost me a few pence under £220 Not sure if that's a great deal or not, is it really much of saving than buying in the UK? Just hope that I understood the process properly, have a feeling I will be a bit jittery about the whole thing until it arrives.

Anyone know what is a good pellet for it, was thinking of ordering some JSB exacts off the bay, is there a pellet this particular pistol prefers, and is there a place on the net that's cheaper for buying them? I realise (a bit late) I should have ordered the pellets and a case at the same time as I was already paying for delivery, but never mind. Any advice on pellet choice, and best place to buy would be appreciated.

Didn't seem as great a deal as I had originally hoped, with the delivery, exchange rate and £4 fee for doing the bank transfer, it has cost me a few pence under £220 Not sure if that's a great deal or not, is it really much of saving than buying in the UK? Just hope that I understood the process properly, have a feeling I will be a bit jittery about the whole thing until it arrives.

Anyone know what is a good pellet for it, was thinking of ordering some JSB exacts off the bay, is there a pellet this particular pistol prefers, and is there a place on the net that's cheaper for buying them? I realise (a bit late) I should have ordered the pellets and a case at the same time as I was already paying for delivery, but never mind. Any advice on pellet choice, and best place to buy would be appreciated.
    Well you saved £20 or so, so not that bad, yes the secret to ordering from them is to add all those little extras till you hit the weight for postage to go up, Pellets are alot of weight for no real cost saving tbh so no biggie not ordering them at the time.

For a case check either evil bay or ronnies they have a good selection.

Pellets, most will be ok, you can try the RWS range being a bit cheaper, but me I would always go for AA or JSB just because! lol I use them in my Umarex pistols and my winchester.

hth

A new one near me would cost around £260 including fuel cost to collect it, you got it about £40 less than it would cost me, so not bad and no travel.

Anyone know what is a good pellet for it
    Excellent, you'll love it!

Try a few pellets. A lot depends on exactly what you'll use it for and ranges etc. Personally, as long as the pistol likes them, I tend to stick to RWS Hobbies in my pistols. They always seem accurate and well made; especially for the money. And, as they're light, muzzle velocities are quite high.

Have a look on the excellent Blackpool Air Rifles site for some good info on pellets.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I think it all comes down to personal choice all I do know is it doesn't stop at one pistol! The 600 is probably the most fun pistol it will fire a lot faster than the Umarex but Ive really enjoyed my 92 fs & Cp88 on the Springer side the HW45 is a top pistol also consider a BSA Magnum 2240 they are compact & fun with recoil the most realistic pistol is the Bailkal Makarov (not the Umarex) they are more or less bb conversions of the reall Makarov I think they are only accurate up to 6 yards its next on my list another accurate good looking pistol is the Webley Nemesis I would do a bit of research find something you really fancy & ask about it on here

I see you already got the 45! You can't go wrong have fun

Well it arrived today, unfortunately wont get a chance to use it until the weekend. Thanks for all the advice, looks sweet though slightly narrower than I had expected, now wondering whether I should have brought the black star version with the match grip, though I guess I can always buy grips separately. Some fun times ahead, don't think I'll be disappointed.