Thread: Slow sales / pricing of vintage BSA rifles

edbear2 Guest

Slow sales / pricing of vintage BSA rifles

I have started a new discussion to avoid bumping a currant sales thread of what looks a really nice early BSA, which at a couple of dealers I can think of would be at least £100 more expensive.

I can't believe it is still unsold as it seems to be (especially now the price has dropped) a good looking, correct in every way early gun. I notice the seller will not post due to RM issues, so obviously people are factoring in the cost of petrol to collect (I already have ).

Is this a sign of the times?...Stuff seems to shift on the various websites I check from time to time which is not half as good

(I have no connection or interest in the sale, just surprised that it is still around...believe me when I say I have seen far worse at this price sell!).

ATB, Ed

When Protek will post for £16 and have it with you next day, travelling a 100miles is an expensive option.
    And even if you ignore the cost of travelling, a lot of people struggle to find the time.

Then there's timing, had I not just bought a MkII I might have been very interested. None of us, unfortunately have unlimited funds. The same thing happened when Allan posted a nice breakdown for sale, I'd bought a Cadet major the night before.

Pictures and description help too, I assume you're referring to a very nice looking early .22, that I suggested could do with more detailed pics. Without pics of the sights and some of the screws there is no way I'd want to travel far. As I said on that sale thread it's all in the details. Fine if the seller is happy to haggle when you get there.

The "dealer" prices on these types have risen incredibly in the last 6months or so, maybe they're affecting sellers thoughts too???

The last thing I have noticed is that when a seller goes to the trouble to actually sell in the collectors area - rather than just tell people there's something for sale in sales- things can go quickly.

Totally agree, Ed. Those early BSAs are hard to come by, especially when you want one!

As for buying at a distance from shops that use tiny pictures on their websites for no good reason, I would much rather buy from a long time member on here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Totally agree, Ed. Those early BSAs are hard to come by, especially when you want one!

As for buying at a distance from shops that use tiny pictures on their websites for no good reason, I would much rather buy from a long time member on here.
    Everything seems hard to come by when you want one
    When you don't, or can't afford one they're all over the place

As for buying from a shop that uses tiny pics? I've done it once and got exactly what was described next day, in a very nice box. The box will be used again if I ever have to send a rifle anywhere. When I missed out on another purchase of a MkII from same shop, I was told it wasn't all that great and I'd been lucky to miss out. As it happened I then got offered a better deal from a member on here.

I've had 2 rifles from members on here, that were exactly as described. One was posted, the other collected. Both sight unseen, I'm very happy with both. I wouldn't hesitate to buy off here again.

But a rare rifle can go from being a nice rarity to a fixer upper to a source of spares, with just the addition/omission of a couple of screws or cadet major sights. So if someone takes the time to put some pics up, why not show the details?