Thread: An Air Pistol For Every Occasion

An Air Pistol For Every Occasion

I probably have too many air pistols, if that's possible, but have often wondered what I would select if I had to choose just one pistol for each of the three uses to which I mainly put them.

Firstly, for serious 10 metre competition I would choose the FAS 604. Although I have a preference for spring powered air pistols, you really have to have a PCP or single stroke pneumatic to be competitive in this discipline. The FAS 604 being a single stroke pneumatic, gives me the advantages of a PCP without the need posses a divers cylinder. The FAS is certainly capable of better results than I can achieve and cost half that of a Steyr, Feinwerkbau etc.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps23c8bb74.jpg

For informal target shooting it would an early series Webley 'Premier' which I reckon probably represents the pinnacle of this superb and iconic design.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psd1ce7d17.jpg

If it's sheer fun I'm after, then my recent discovery of the Crosman 600 ticks all the boxes. A true semi-auto Co2 powered pistol which can send 10 pellets into a tin can as fast as you can pull the trigger. Although it takes a bit of care and attention in it's pellet selection and use etc, once picked-up I doubt you will ever want to put it down !

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2f09090c.jpg

I would be interested in other members choices ( max 3) even if they are used for different purposes to my own.

Regards

Brian

The pistols I presently use are:

Formal 10m target - Benelli Kite. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=96

Informal 10m (& M.P.L.) - FWB65

CO2 10m - BRNO Chameleon (sp). http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...l?sort=6&o=100

They do what it says on the box.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Interesting question Brian.

For me, the choice is whatever pistol happens to be flavour of the day with me and choice could change rapidly!

I used to shoot 10M match fairly seriously and used a SAM K11. It was an accurate reliable arm and was capable of performance well in excess of my own. Whilst it often shot possibles at 10M, it had no character when compared to a vintage arm. I still occasionally turn up at the indoor range and the last time, it was with a cased Walther LP53 in tow. That pistol was more than capable of some fine groups and scores of 45 x 50, so that would be my choice at 10M today as I'm no longer shooting for medals!

For general plinking work, the Premier certainly takes some beating and any Webley is a good choice IMHO. I have recently unearthed some 1920s and 1930s reports of Webley air pistols being tested and have been enjoying the delights of the MkII Target and straight gripped Senior. Yes I know they have the feel and balance of a Broomhandle Mauser when compared to the slant grip models but when shooting one of these classics, I take my mind back 8-9 decades to a time when they were top of the range models and capable of 'Unrivalled Accuracy" as Webley later pointed out in their advertising.

For informal 'switch off time' at the range, a Makarov or more recently Umarex Luger are my choices. They will blast a tin can to pieces in no time at all and look the part....and I no longer own a 600 much to my regret!

John

I'm going very close to the comments made above.

10m deliberate, my LP10 is a joy to shoot in comps. However I love the 'real pistol' feel and self-contained nature of the FAS 604. Having been fortunate in obtaining a very recent and little used s/h model, this one will be a keeper for a while and I'm using it for 6yd MPL at the moment.

Plinking wise my 1979 Tempest .22 that I've had from new takes some beating.

Fun wise my Drulov DU-10 is up there with the best and I'm using this for 10m rapid fire comps at the moment.

Those are the 3 I'd have to go with but my .177 and .22 TAU 7's are also providing good fun and competition use.

Cheers,

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by micken View Post
    I'm going very close to the comments made above.

10m deliberate, my LP10 is a joy to shoot in comps. However I love the 'real pistol' feel and self-contained nature of the FAS 604. Having been fortunate in obtaining a very recent and little used s/h model, this one will be a keeper for a while and I'm using it for 6yd MPL at the moment.

Plinking wise my 1979 Tempest .22 that I've had from new takes some beating.

Fun wise my Drulov DU-10 is up there with the best and I'm using this for 10m rapid fire comps at the moment.

Those are the 3 I'd have to go with but my .177 and .22 TAU 7's are also providing good fun and competition use.

Cheers,

Mick
    Hi Mick,

I also use a DU-10 for rapid-fire competitions and have found it to be a good, reasonably priced choice for this discipline. Although the trigger release may feel a little 'spongy,' the rhythm needed for this course of fire doesn't really lend itself to the crisper release of the single shot precision pistols.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Interesting question Brian.

For me, the choice is whatever pistol happens to be flavour of the day with me and choice could change rapidly!

I used to shoot 10M match fairly seriously and used a SAM K11. It was an accurate reliable arm and was capable of performance well in excess of my own. Whilst it often shot possibles at 10M, it had no character when compared to a vintage arm. I still occasionally turn up at the indoor range and the last time, it was with a cased Walther LP53 in tow. That pistol was more than capable of some fine groups and scores of 45 x 50, so that would be my choice at 10M today as I'm no longer shooting for medals!

For general plinking work, the Premier certainly takes some beating and any Webley is a good choice IMHO. I have recently unearthed some 1920s and 1930s reports of Webley air pistols being tested and have been enjoying the delights of the MkII Target and straight gripped Senior. Yes I know they have the feel and balance of a Broomhandle Mauser when compared to the slant grip models but when shooting one of these classics, I take my mind back 8-9 decades to a time when they were top of the range models and capable of 'Unrivalled Accuracy" as Webley later pointed out in their advertising.

For informal 'switch off time' at the range, a Makarov or more recently Umarex Luger are my choices. They will blast a tin can to pieces in no time at all and look the part....and I no longer own a 600 much to my regret!

John
    Hello John,

I must admit that although I have always personally preferred the appearance of the pre-war 'Straight Grip' Webley pistols, the 'Slant Grip' models do look a bit sleeker and seem to present more naturally on aim. Having said that, the 'Straight Grip' Senior is certainly one of my favourite pistols.

Regards

Brian