Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TX200 Vs HW97 Trigger.

TX200 Vs HW97 Trigger.

As per title: TX200 Vs HW97 Trigger. Which is best. I like the look of the Tx200 (not HC, or at least, I remain still to be convinced...barrel length/velocity/noise etc) as a complete rifle but don't really know which trigger would be best for me as a hunter. I'd be getting a 177 I've been into "proper" guns for some time but I will soon be selling them all and going ex-certificate and would be interested to hear opinions from those with experience of both units.
    Sorry if this duplicates recent threads but I have less and less time to trawl the internerd these days.

Many Thanks: Pete.
    Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    They're both good triggers and indeed good guns.

Not particularly suitable for hunting though as you need three arms to cock it safely and twice as much time to load it as a break barrel. Add to that the excessive weight (brilliant for damping recoil for target shooters) and you'll have a gun you'll leave at home!

There are some who stubbornly cling to the "Hard as nails, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" ethos, but an HW95 will serve you better in the long run.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cripton View Post
    . I've been into "proper" guns for some time but I will soon be selling them all and going ex-certificate
    ....outrageous.......as Tinny says, get a 95. I to have had TX,s and yes they stayed at home whilst I went hunting...if you were purely after a gun for targets then yes a TX is a fine rifle
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    TX isn't that heavy - depends how big you are.
    However, rather than the 95, for a lighter alternative I'd consider something less hold sensitive for hunting... hw99 ? Theo Gasram ?
    Or budget to get Wonky Donky to stroke and tune the 95

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    TX isn't that heavy - depends how big you are.
    However, rather than the 95, for a lighter alternative I'd consider something less hold sensitive for hunting... hw99 ? Theo Gasram ?
    Or budget to get Wonky Donky to stroke and tune the 95
    As it happens, my two hunting air rifles are my very tweaked 99 (which I didn't recommend due to the still dubious cocking link) and my Fenman Profile. If you can find one, buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    They're both good triggers and indeed good guns.

Not particularly suitable for hunting though as you need three arms to cock it safely and twice as much time to load it as a break barrel. Add to that the excessive weight (brilliant for damping recoil for target shooters) and you'll have a gun you'll leave at home!

There are some who stubbornly cling to the "Hard as nails, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" ethos, but an HW95 will serve you better in the long run.

Well that's just not true...

I've hunted with an HW77k for many years, and despite only being 10 stone do at least 80% of my rabbit shooting offhand, successfully too I'll add.

Man up

Not 100% sure if this is correct but I believe the record trigger was tuned by Venom into the Mach 1... the best trigger to date..

And then this was copied by Air Arms for the Tx200 hence the CD unit.. better than the record ..

but could be wrong..

I've not hunted for some time now but, when I did, I used to switch between my 77, 80 and 95.

I would have absolutely no qualms over using the 77 for field work, as my only gun. Yes, it may not be quite as easy to carry as a 95/99, but, depending on the user's build, it ain't at all bad. The carbine is very nicely balanced. And that light piston and higher all-up weight does make it ever so forgiving and, therefore, easier to extract accuracy from.

As regards the triggers, can't really comment on the TX, having only ever briefly tried one, but they're known to be very good, as is the Rekord.

So, after handling and, even better, trying them out, if either of these rifles suit you, choose the one you feel happiest with - you'll love either!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Nothing wrong with a tx200 for hunting, the triggers on the hw and the air arms are both top springer triggers, with the tx200 you get the added bonus of the trigger blade being reachable by people with fingers of less than 3 feet long too, god knows why weihrauch cant make a decent standard stock with a less raked pistol grip...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxiboy Wales View Post
    Not 100% sure if this is correct but I believe the record trigger was tuned by Venom into the Mach 1... the best trigger to date..

And then this was copied by Air Arms for the Tx200 hence the CD unit.. better than the record ..

but could be wrong..
    Hi Maxiboy

I read somewhere that Ken Turner used to do the machining for the Venom Mach 1 trigger unit and when he went to Air Arms to design the TX he took the secrets of the Mach 1 unit with him.

So if this is correct the TX trigger unit is very closely related to both the Mach 1 and the Weihrauch Rekord unit.

It's also said that Air Arms called their new trigger the CD because in the music world, CDs were making Records obsolete.

Can anyone confirm any of the above ?

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    It's also said that Air Arms called their new trigger the CD because in the music world, CDs were making Records obsolete.

Can anyone confirm any of the above ?

All the best Mick
    Every fibre of my being wants that to be true!!!

"Computer Designed trigger" hence the CD, iirc, AA used the 'cd's are better than records' statement in an old advert, clearly as a dig at hw's rekord.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed J View Post
    Well that's just not true...

I've hunted with an HW77k for many years, and despite only being 10 stone do at least 80% of my rabbit shooting offhand, successfully too I'll add.

Man up
    Completely agree, I'm a slight build at not much above 10 stone and whilst carrying my TX200 HC around for seven hours is fairly hard work, it's not remotely impossible. You get used to it and you get stronger in the process. Also I can not fathom why everyone on here seems to say that the HC is so difficult to cock. It's genuinely such a smooth, easy mechanism if you do it quickly in one motion. It all comes down to TECHNIQUE at the end of it. I am not immensely strong nor big but I genuinely think it would take double the cocking effort on the TX200 HC till I'd start to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by p.sharp View Post
    "Computer Designed trigger" hence the CD, iirc, AA used the 'cd's are better than records' statement in an old advert, clearly as a dig at hw's rekord.

You've gone and spoiled it for Tinners now.

Sorry tinbum!