Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TX200 Vs HW97 Trigger.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by oling View Post
    Completely agree, I'm a slight build at not much above 10 stone and whilst carrying my TX200 HC around for seven hours is fairly hard work, it's not remotely impossible. You get used to it and you get stronger in the process. Also I can not fathom why everyone on here seems to say that the HC is so difficult to cock. It's genuinely such a smooth, easy mechanism if you do it quickly in one motion. It all comes down to TECHNIQUE at the end of it. I am not immensely strong nor big but I genuinely think it would take double the cocking effort on the TX200 HC till I'd start to complain.
    I didn't say it was impossible, just that it was hard work. I have, and do use underlevers for hunting, but if I'm doing the full tour its a break barrel every time.

As for the cocking effort on HC's being high.... Ha! A two year old girl could cock it! You ought to try a Fenman!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Maxiboy

I read somewhere that Ken Turner used to do the machining for the Venom Mach 1 trigger unit and when he went to Air Arms to design the TX he took the secrets of the Mach 1 unit with him.

So if this is correct the TX trigger unit is very closely related to both the Mach 1 and the Weihrauch Rekord unit.

It's also said that Air Arms called their new trigger the CD because in the music world, CDs were making Records obsolete.

Can anyone confirm any of the above ?

All the best Mick
    Mick i have read this to somewhere on one of the forums ,)
    The AA cd trigger is based on the mach 1 trigger.

I think Maxiboy is right, Rockdrill said the same a while back. I love Rekord triggers, but I think the CD is easier to adjust and work on, and isn't made out of hammered bits of metal. I fit adjustable blades on mine.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Both triggers are pretty good, the main problem with the CD is the two adjusting screws which set first and second stage have to be balanced against each other, adjust one and you have to adjust the other to compensate and balance the pull, it's very easy to throw first out tuning second for instance!

On the Rekord all adjustments are separate, you adjust the tab for first pull, second is on a hex screw so once you get the first pull length you want you can then adjust the second stage down to practically nothing without upsetting first, unlike the CD, for this reason alone coupled with the myriad of aftermarket blades available I prefer the Rekord, ideal for me would be a TX with a Rekord!

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    I'm finding it hard to reconcile the early post regarding the 97k I love mine for hunting and target (in grown up calibre), The trigger is a dream and a little judicious work with a stone helps to smooth it. What I've never been able to get affectionate about is the loading port on the TX200. If you are going to copy a gun then do it properly and open the breach up to 180 degrees. As far as the weight goes I don't have a problem and for those of you who don't know me I'm 5ft 6 ish with a low c. of g.
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

Both are veery good trigger units, but both can be vastly improved by some contact point polishing on the sears. In my opinion the CD trigger is better made, using hardened steel pins for all the fulcrum points whereas the Rekord trigger uses roughly chopped off pieces of mild steel round bar.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    Both are veery good trigger units, but both can be vastly improved by some contact point polishing on the sears. In my opinion the CD trigger is better made, using hardened steel pins for all the fulcrum points whereas the Rekord trigger uses roughly chopped off pieces of mild steel round bar.

Neil
    y

Interesting thanks for the info,
    What is it that causes the CD to be hard to engage sometimes? Also do you think the safety button is strong enough.

It's more a thing about the cocking lever geometry than the trigger, I think, they all need that last little push.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I didn't say it was impossible, just that it was hard work. I have, and do use underlevers for hunting, but if I'm doing the full tour its a break barrel every time.

As for the cocking effort on HC's being high.... Ha! A two year old girl could cock it! You ought to try a Fenman!
    And anyone who isn't satisfied should then try to cock an Eliminator!!
    Seriously gasrams are harder to cock than spring powered rifles for any given power level but they are not hard in absolute terms. The main requirement is technique not brute force.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    y

Also do you think the safety button is strong enough.
    No it isn't. I have known TWO clubmates to have broken safety catches on their TX's and I don't know anyone who has ever had one fail on the HW unit. Looking at them both out of the rifle the HW one looks much more substantial than the AA
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    It's more a thing about the cocking lever geometry than the trigger, I think, they all need that last little push.

Gus
    I have been thinking what you say about the lever being the cause of last little push that is needed, but if it is the lever why does it only happen sometimes?

Some years ago Steve Pope made me a one piece steel spring guide that is a precision fit in the trigger block so the piston rod is in line and this has almost fixed the problem but it still happens very occasionally

When I hear some members saying that the HC is hard to cock and some say its OK I wonder if it is just the individuals strength and would be better to post the actual cocking effort in lbs. then we would really know, I checked my HC a while back and I think it was about 28 lbs. but I would check again if others post what their TX cocking effort is

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    y

Interesting thanks for the info,
    What is it that causes the CD to be hard to engage sometimes? Also do you think the safety button is strong enough.
    I've seen the safety not engage many times on MarkIII stroke guns, but never one that was hard to get cocked unless it was near coil bound. On the MarkIII the rear of the piston comes very close to touching the flange on the guide when cocked so if some tolerances are off here and there, you get the picture. The safety button breakage is a recent issue and I've heard of at least half a dozen over here. All were guns made in the last few years, so it must be a hardening/tempering mistake. Out of the 7 CD's I now own and the 4 others I've sold, one MarkIII was hard to set the safety. Even with a shorter stroke piston it still has the glitch. The fix is to add some metal to the contact point between the rear tip of the top sear and the flat on the top of the middle sear. The gun has well over 100,000 shots on it, so it's well broken in trigger wise. It doesn't bother me enough to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxiboy Wales View Post
    Not 100% sure if this is correct but I believe the record trigger was tuned by Venom into the Mach 1... the best trigger to date..
    And then this was copied by Air Arms for the Tx200 hence the CD unit.. better than the record ..
    but could be wrong..
    Hi Maxiboy

I read somewhere that Ken Turner used to do the machining for the Venom Mach 1 trigger unit and when he went to Air Arms to design the TX he took the secrets of the Mach 1 unit with him.
    So if this is correct the TX trigger unit is very closely related to both the Mach 1 and the Weihrauch Rekord unit.
    It's also said that Air Arms called their new trigger the CD because in the music world, CDs were making Records obsolete.
    All the best Mick
    To the best of my knowledge Ken Turner had some involvement in the Venom Mach 1. The Mach 1 certainly seemed to share some similarities with Ken's own handmade stainless steel rifles of which I was fortunate enough to try a couple some years ago.

I understood that he took the Rekord trigger as a base and built his own trigger unit inspired by it but to a higher fit and finish, this unit then got used as the design for the Mach 1 trigger unit and latterly the TX trigger unit. Having had a Mach 1 equipped Venom 77, the components and design of the Mach 1 and CD triggers are very similar, with the Mach 1 being somewhat more refined with a machined from solid chassis.

As to which is better CD vs Rekord, I would personally rate the CD trigger superior as it is more solidly constructed and has better adjustability, however, it does benefit from stripping and giving the contact faces a polish - doing the polish smooths it out so it truly does equal the Mach 1 trigger. The Rekord unit is also a good trigger, but is just not as well made.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

I do know it is easier to get replacement parts for a Rekord than a CD. AA won't supply sears but will refurb for about £50
    Can't remember seeing a second hand CD for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxiboy Wales View Post
    Not 100% sure if this is correct but I believe the record trigger was tuned by Venom into the Mach 1... the best trigger to date..

And then this was copied by Air Arms for the Tx200 hence the CD unit.. better than the record ..

but could be wrong..
    Hi Maxiboy

All the best Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    To the best of my knowledge Ken Turner had some involvement in the Venom Mach 1. The Mach 1 certainly seemed to share some similarities with Ken's own handmade stainless steel rifles of which I was fortunate enough to try a couple some years ago.

I understood that he took the Rekord trigger as a base and built his own trigger unit inspired by it but to a higher fit and finish, this unit then got used as the design for the Mach 1 trigger unit and latterly the TX trigger unit. Having had a Mach 1 equipped Venom 77, the components and design of the Mach 1 and CD triggers are very similar, with the Mach 1 being somewhat more refined with a machined from solid chassis.

As to which is better CD vs Rekord, I would personally rate the CD trigger superior as it is more solidly constructed and has better adjustability, however, it does benefit from stripping and giving the contact faces a polish - doing the polish smooths it out so it truly does equal the Mach 1 trigger. The Rekord unit is also a good trigger, but is just not as well made.

Story I'd heard was it was Ivan at Venom who designed the Mach 1 Trigger. Ken worked at the engineering firm Venom used to manufacture some of the parts. Ken then went to AA and took the design with him.... I don't think Ken worked for that engineering firm again!

Personally I've never managed to get a CD trigger as good as a Mach 1. The Mach 1 is sublime and put a lot of PCP's to shame. Internally you'd be hard pushed to find any differences between a Mach 1 and a CD! one just wrks a lot better lol. I do need to work on my CD trigger though, maybe one day I'll get it as good.