Thread: Servicing a PCP

Servicing a PCP

Hi,

I'm been looking to buy a seal kit for my Logun Gemini and servicing it myself. I'm pretty confident that it's a job I could do and have the neccessary tools,
    I'll of course get it crono'd when rebuilt.

Do any of you guys & gals do your own servicing or leave it to the dealers/local gun shop?

Cheers Mark

secretagentmole Guest
    Confidence is key, I have fettled the QB78 I own, not quite the same pressure though. PCP servicing I leave to the trained people other than changing buddy bottle O rings! 232 bar can go bang quite dramatically!

It's easy, just make sure you get all the air out before you start.
    Methodical work and above all be clean - work on the side in the kitchen, not in the garage - one speck of grit can bugger it up.
    I've not worked on one of yours but I can strip and reseal an Ultra in under an hour - it's not rocket science...

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    It's easy, just make sure you get all the air out before you start.
    Methodical work and above all be clean - work on the side in the kitchen, not in the garage - one speck of grit can bugger it up.
    I've not worked on one of yours but I can strip and reseal an Ultra in under an hour - it's not rocket science...
    That's great info Biker_Bob. What's the best lubricant to use on the seals for assembly? Will some be dry assembly?

Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markeegan View Post
    Hi,

Do any of you guys & gals do your own servicing or leave it to the dealers/local gun shop?

Cheers Mark
    Hi,

Do all the servicing on my rifles myself as that way I can be sure that I stay within legal limits. After all nobody knows better than myself which pellets perform the best (power wise) in my rifles and ultimately I am responsible for the power output of my guns. My pcps are Air Arms S4*0 series and a Logun Rifle MK1. Being a tightwad means that I don't have the expense of taking it to a RFD for servicing. Also I can take the time to do a more thorough job and can also fettle and polish to the n'th degreewhereas a dealer may not have the time/inclination to do that. Depends also on your level of confidence and proficiency.

I consider my rifles to be a doddle to work on as they are all pretty mechanically simple inside. If they were regulated then I would probably invest in the tools/gauges to set it up myself as it would still be possibly cheaper than taking (i would nost post my rifles anywhere) it to be done by a dealer. My chrono is one of the best purchases I have ever made both to set up my rifles and also to understand how to get the best from them. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Mark

I just use a light silicone oil.

Excellent! New seal kit ordered and on it's way. Thanks for the help guys.