Thread: Daystate barrel bands

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough

Daystate barrel bands

Are they needed on the Air Wolf or Ranger models ? And, if so, why aren't they fitted by the factory ?
    Al

hi my new air ranger was fitted with barrel band as standard along with all new daystates now , my airwolf was not fitted with one but when i bought second hand the accuracy was really bad and the first thing i did was fit the barrel band as suggested by daystate and was very accurate once fitted , you may get away without the band fitted if it was stored correctly when not in use and was not bumped in any way but really the band is a must in reality

Thanks for that. I have a new Air Wolf on order and was not sure whether it would come with a barrel band.
    Al

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    My AirWolf doesn't have one, and as it out shoots me I see no reason to fit one, but when I read posts of people resting the rifle on the barrel when shooting I do think WTF

Thanks for that.

The pics on the Daystate website do not include a barrel band. So it's a bit confusing whether they now come as standard.
    Al

daystate told me all new ones comes with them , my ranger did , but also above i think you could get away with one if used and stored correctly , i think ideally tho i would keep mine on ,

My initial thought seeing one at the range was that the barrel diameter was too thin - instead of fitting a barrel mounted shroud they should perhaps have gone for a larger O/D barrel like BSA or Theoben.

I am guessing that the receiver/breech block design together with the small diameter breech block screws isn't man enough for the job of supporting a full diameter barrel though, and they have to make the parts down to a cost rather than up to a performance, resulting in a setup that is particularly vulnerable to knocks.

(apologies in advance if my thoughts are controversial)

I've had two Airwolfs and both of them were prone to losing zero even if stored in the bag for a week. One secret is not to let the barrel shroud butt up against the action; leave a tiny gap.

One rifle has gone now and the other one sports a barrel band that I put on about 6 months ago and the zero drift problem has gone too.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Thanks Rich.....

Having got one of Rich's Airwolfs, it doesn't lose ANY zero for me, stored flat in the case, although it was upgraded to FAC!

Strange!!

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

I bought an Air Ranger last year, the first thing I did was remove the barrel band, this was because I did not like the look of it. I have never had a problem with losing zero.
    The wolf/ranger were sold for ages without one, what changed ?

I once had a RWS 500 plus air rifle, similar to the Daystate Air Ranger, and that certainly needed a barrel band or two to maintain zero.
    Al

When I tried the Airwolfs for bench rest, any small loss of zero was easily noticed. In bench rest you are looking to take out a pin head at 20 yards, and half a pellet diameter is all the tolerance you can allow.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee