Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Sale: BSA Airsporter "S" MK1 .22 serial No GM36219 1979-1983

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    You're not wrong James

The S versions had 16mm diameter barrels --- as others have said Sakermans Airsporter looks like a nice tidy MK7 to me.

All the best Mick
    If I remember correctly Mick, I'm sure the S barrel was 17mm or may be even bigger, I remember a mate of mine wanting a Webley Pro system silencer put on the end of his and the 16mm collet wouldn't fit, my other mates dad machined it down to 16mm in the end to fit it.

I think the stock also had chequering on the forend as well and if it was a mk1 S then it would defo be a walnut stock as well, i think the later ones may have had beech stocks but the stock was a bit more classier.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The S had the fluting as I call it either side of the tap loader. I had a Mk1 very much like the one John Baz has shown. I don't remember a thicker barrel but I might be wrong, but the S was engraved on top of the cylinder ie AIRSPORTER S . They were walnut as well with both checkering on fore end and pistol grip as mentioned already.
    I agree the late Airsporter shown is still a collectable and nice gun, and worth the money asked. I do regret selling my S but it didn't shoot any different to a standard Airsporter. They looked nice though.

Good luck with the sale, it should sell as you don't many as tidy or with the later details that this has.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    If I remember correctly Mick, I'm sure the S barrel was 17mm or may be even bigger, I remember a mate of mine wanting a Webley Pro system silencer put on the end of his and the 16mm collet wouldn't fit, my other mates dad machined it down to 16mm in the end to fit it.

I think the stock also had chequering on the forend as well and if it was a mk1 S then it would defo be a walnut stock as well, i think the later ones may have had beech stocks but the stock was a bit more classier.

Pete

You're not wrong Pete

I've just measured my S barrel at 16.8mm.

The pistol grip and fore end had pressed checkering panels on either side --- if I get time later I'll put a picture up.

Has Sakerman sorted out what the serial number is yet on his Airsporter ?

All the best Mick

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland

All the best Mick
    If he just lists it simply as an 'Airsporter' without any prefix for what he wants for it - I am sure there will be someone who wants it - certainly at the price he was asking originally!

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    If he just lists it simply as an 'Airsporter' without any prefix for what he wants for it - I am sure there will be someone who wants it - certainly at the price he was asking originally!

Airsporterman

I'm sure you're right Airsporterman

And there can be no comeback on him if he doesn't give a MK.

Though I'd be surprised if such a nice late gun hasn't sold by PM by now.

All the best Mick

Hi all, I have to admit to making an error, my eyesight even with glasses is obviously not as good as it was. The Serial prefix is actually GN which makes it a MK VII. The gun has provisionally sold to a forum member with whom I have been receiving help from with identification, even before the first "For Sale" thread went up, so I thought it only fair to offer him first refusal.

Thank you all for you time and knowledge and I read this thread with great interest.
    JD 10/05/09
    DD 21/07/22

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    No problems mate - it's very easy to mis read the small letters and numbers - they aren't always clearly stamped and time takes it's toll with polishing, oil and dirt - it's easily done.
    Good to hear that the rifle has a new owner - every Airsporter deserves a loving home!

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.