Thread: Benjamin peepsight help please.

Benjamin peepsight help please.

Can anyone tell me if this was ever an original sight on the early Ben Franklin 317 or 322?
    http://s133.photobucket.com/user/mag...tml?sort=3&o=0

I have a different one which is incomplete, missing the screw in eyepiece: http://s133.photobucket.com/user/mag...ml?sort=3&o=12

Does anyone have a spare eyepiece for the second one, (ignore the threaded bit sticking out) and or a complete peepsight of any sort to fit my other rifle (same fitting)?

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this was ever an original sight on the early Ben Franklin 317 or 322?

I have a different one which is incomplete, missing the screw in eyepiece: http://s133.photobucket.com/user/mag...ml?sort=3&o=12

Does anyone have a spare eyepiece for the second one, (ignore the threaded bit sticking out) and or a complete peepsight of any sort to fit my other rifle (same fitting)?
    That is the ' bar-o' peep sight and yes it was an optional extra on the early Benjies. I have been after one for years. In the end I gave up looking and made a replica for my 312.

Pete.

Thanks for the info, now you told me the name of it, I found more from Google.

It has a certain elegant simplicity about it, any of our resident engineers fancy making a few I wonder?

Offered to the end

Benjamin offered three different sights, right up to the end of production. See this 1980 catalog. https://flic.kr/p/ng8BZj

They don't seem to show up very often I suspect because those shops that have them don't know what they have. That was the situation at Ollie Damon's here in Portland. They had a big bin filled with these rear sights all mixed together. They figured that they were Benjamin but didn't know the part numbers and since nobody ever asked for them they never sold any. Rather suspect that box of sights is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Benjamin offered three different sights, right up to the end of production. See this 1980 catalog. https://flic.kr/p/ng8BZj

They don't seem to show up very often I suspect because those shops that have them don't know what they have. That was the situation at Ollie Damon's here in Portland. They had a big bin filled with these rear sights all mixed together. They figured that they were Benjamin but didn't know the part numbers and since nobody ever asked for them they never sold any. Rather suspect that box of sights is still there.
    Thanks for that Dean.
    Dean might I suggest you go buy that bin full of sights then make a killing selling them to the likes of us..!..?
    Pete.

Benjamin Franklin peep sight

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post

Hi

I am fortunate to have be given a number of old airguns by a friend who says he is now beyond caring for them. Amongst them is a 1959 Benjamin Franklin 317 and I thought you might like to see pictures of how he restored it, added a silencer and an Australian peep sight. I am not really very familiar with these types of air rifles but have been very impressed with its accuracy and ease of pumping. See it here -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjm_45...7644321527585/

Regards
    Trevor (Morris)

Most collectors rave about the Sheridan pumpers.....mainly due to the fact that they are more 'handsome' looking....but the Benjamins are every bit as robust, are shorter,lighter,much easier to pump and...... in my experience of both makes over the last half century far more ACCURATE.!
    There I have said it........tin hat on, in my foxhole.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Most collectors rave about the Sheridan pumpers.....mainly due to the fact that they are more 'handsome' looking....but the Benjamins are every bit as robust, are shorter,lighter,much easier to pump and...... in my experience of both makes over the last half century far more ACCURATE.!
    There I have said it........tin hat on, in my foxhole.
    Pete.
    I can vouch that is true! I still have an early Benjamin 347 which I found under the Christmas tree in 1968. My younger brother still has his 1970-vintage Sheridan. As kids I could regularly out-shoot him! I still love that rifle--recoilless, hard-hitting, accurate, and light and slender enough to carry effortlessly all day. The Benjamins are very much underrated as shooters IMHO.

It has to be said the issue with the Sheridan was not the rifle, however, but the horrid house-brand "Bantam" slug-type ammo. Very unstable in the barrel, we would often find where these pellets had struck sideways or even backwards in a backstop! But of course it was the only .20 cal airgun ammo around in those days.

His gun, and the 1966 Sheridan I've since acquired, are very accurate indeed with modern .20 cal pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorj View Post
    Hi

I am fortunate to have be given a number of old airguns by a friend who says he is now beyond caring for them. Amongst them is a 1959 Benjamin Franklin 317 and I thought you might like to see pictures of how he restored it, added a silencer and an Australian peep sight. I am not really very familiar with these types of air rifles but have been very impressed with its accuracy and ease of pumping. See it here -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjm_45...7644321527585/

Regards
    Trevor (Morris)
    Excellent job!

That Sportco sight looks like it was made for the job, anyone recognise the model?

I notice the missing "Toytown" safety catch, a nice improvement in my view.

Even better are the early Crosman's

The early Benjamin models are great but they are not as good as the early Crosman models 109/110/120. These Crosman models were only made for a few years 1948-1954 but they outclass anything by Benjamin or Sheridan. They certainly aren't as fancy as either the Sheridan or Benjamin but where they lack style they excel in performance, durability, and ease of service.

The Benjamin have a hidden flaw in the design. When exposed to high heat (prolonged direct sunlight) the barrel can break loose from the front sight mount. Even seen the breech come loose. This is because both the breech and front sight are soldered to the main tube and will cause pressure to build up to the point of the solder joint breaking. The Crosman models don't have this problem.

The Benjamin and Sheridan require a unique check and exhaust valve that is difficult to rebuild. The Crosman valves both unscrew and take a simple flat washer that is easy to source or make. Rebuilding a Crosman 109/110/120 is as easy as it gets. Not so with the Benjamin or Sheridan.

Usefull info there Dean.
    Those early Crosman models are incredibly rare though in the UK. , in fact I have never seen any of the 3 models you mention. It is also true that pumpers in general do not feature highly in the British airgunners arsenal. For whatever reason the multi-pump air rifle never found favour with us Brits and the springer has reigned supreme,at least until the late 90's when the pcp really took off.
    Personally, I love pumpers.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Usefull info there Dean.
    Those early Crosman models are incredibly rare though in the UK. , in fact I have never seen any of the 3 models you mention. It is also true that pumpers in general do not feature highly in the British airgunners arsenal. For whatever reason the multi-pump air rifle never found favour with us Brits and the springer has reigned supreme,at least until the late 90's when the pcp really took off.
    Personally, I love pumpers.

Pete.
    They aren't all that common over here either, but, they show up and don't typically carry much value, due to looks mostly. The Crosman Town and Country models 107/108 are big guns, pretty rare, and demand top dollar. However, the guts of all of these pneumatic models (107-120) are exactly the same. Of course, to most vintage Crosman fans, the best air rifle ever made is the legendary model 101.

Just wanted to make you guys aware of some of the very fine, but more obscure, vintage American air gun models.

The American love affair with pneumatic air guns goes all the way back to 1899 and the St Louis air rifle designed by W. R. Benjamin (yes, that Benjamin) The overwhelming favorite BB guns in those days were the Benjamin air guns because of power. Even the son of the Daisy Air Rifle Co. asked for, but didn't get, a Benjamin air gun for Christmas. The market for these guns were young boys planning to use them out in the field to shoot rabbits, etc. The super lightweight Benjamin is a great little field gun. The BSA was available (except during wartime) but it was big, heavy, very expensive, less power than the Benjamin.... no contest.

Dean has made a heap of stuff on multi-stroke pump rifles and their fellow CO2 guns

available at his photo-site.VERY interesting information.
    Some nice old Crosmans.....

http://s21.photobucket.com/user/cine...cd7ed.jpg.html
    Last edited by trevor1; 29-04-2014 at 02:58 AM.