Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AA Field 0.177 pellet tin fo please

pellet tin info

I queried the info on the bottom of JSB pellet tins with Pavel who is JSB's QA Manager
    I use JSB and/or AA Field for benchrest competitions and it is only in benchrest shooting that we notice the importance of having the correct batch of pellets

The reply was as follows:

Hi John,

Thanks for your e-mail and sorry for a late reply. We have been very busy at these days but I will do my best to reply your next e-mails by return.

Regarding your questions. Let me clarify the numbers that are marked on the small labels placed on the bottom of the tins.

There are two lines of numbers on the labels. The upper line (e.g. 9025808):

- 09 – die number

- 02 – personal number of responsible employee in production

- 58 – personal number of the employee in QC

- 08 – year of production (2008)

If there are two zeros than the number is not known.

Lower line:

- (S)2 – manufacturing batch

- 4,52 – head diameter in millimeters

The critical numbers to get the same pellets are the number of the die and the manufacturing batch.

Best regards,

Pavel

I have somewhere a similar e-mail reply for the labels on the AA Field tins which I will try to find

Rgds
    John
    hold me back !!

Found it

This is JSB's reply to my similar query of info on AA tins

Hi John,

Thanks for your e-mail and question.

To identify the pellets the most important numbers are the first two numbers on upper line (which marks the number of the press line) and the number which follow the “S” (this is the manufacturing batch/serie number).

I hope this information is useful for you. If you have any other question regarding our products please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Pavel Kolebac

JSB Match Diabolo a.s.

tel/fax: +420/596 033 251

kolebac@schulzdiabolo.cz

www.schulzdiabolo.cz

John
    hold me back !!

Many thanks for that John.

So it's that top left number that's important and then the S number.

The top lefts are different on my batches that are marked S1. One is 21 which shoot well in my 77 and the other 18 which won't group at all.

It is amazing as I'm not talking small amounts here. I'm not talking one will group at 12mm at 35 yards and the other 15mm. One will group under 12mm consistently at 35 yards and will do 5p groups at 45 yards ... the other will give a group of 40 or even 50mm at 35 yards ( usually it's 3 pretty close together and a couple of flyers in all directions ).

I asked AA their reply was;

top line - machine/press number then date of manufacture ie, 18 19.04.2014
    bottom line - cal, die number then quality control number ie 6.35 S1 00

the important numbers being the machine (18) & the die (S1) to match the same pellet.

Cheers Bear

So I've had Machine 21 die S1 that shot fine ... and then Machine 18 die S1 that were poor.

I'm wondering whether a handling issue then complicates things here. The pellets are both S1's and they do look identical re inside profile. The tins marked 18 rather than 21 do seem to have poorer quality skirts.

I know AA always say that we shouldn't worry about that as the skirts will be blown round with the blast of air pushing them through the barrel.

I spent some time sorting out the ones with poor looking skirts and then went to the woods and tried some more groups with the sorted ones. Much better results with tight groups at 35 yards and groups @ 30 - 35mm at 55 yards.

I actually tried some Prems. The Prems are very very tight on loading. At 35 yards there were superb ... better than the AA's ... or at least more consistent and seemingly 'easier' to shoot tight groups at 35y. At 55 yards the AA's were slightly better and even though the AA's are heavier the Prems dropped more between 35 and 55 yards. I haven't tried the Prems over the Chrono yet so I'm expecting they will be down on power due to them being so very tight.

I wonder if it would help if the Prems could be 'sized' down a tad?

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Cheers Bear

So I've had Machine 21 die S1 that shot fine ... and then Machine 18 die S1 that were poor.

I'm wondering whether a handling issue then complicates things here. The pellets are both S1's and they do look identical re inside profile. The tins marked 18 rather than 21 do seem to have poorer quality skirts.

I know AA always say that we shouldn't worry about that as the skirts will be blown round with the blast of air pushing them through the barrel.

I spent some time sorting out the ones with poor looking skirts and then went to the woods and tried some more groups with the sorted ones. Much better results with tight groups at 35 yards and groups @ 30 - 35mm at 55 yards.

I actually tried some Prems. The Prems are very very tight on loading. At 35 yards there were superb ... better than the AA's ... or at least more consistent and seemingly 'easier' to shoot tight groups at 35y. At 55 yards the AA's were slightly better and even though the AA's are heavier the Prems dropped more between 35 and 55 yards. I haven't tried the Prems over the Chrono yet so I'm expecting they will be down on power due to them being so very tight.

Obviously the two machines apply slightly different pressure or are a fraction of a mm different in alignment,
    so the same die produces a fractionally different shape/balance of pellet depending on which one is used.

I just correct badly damaged skirts with either an old biro tube or rounded bit of wood/pencil/paintbrush handle

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    I haven't tried the Prems over the Chrono yet so I'm expecting they will be down on power due to them being so very tight.

Hi Col, I think part of the tightness with Premiers is the rock-hard lead alloy they're made from. They always seemed tight in any gun as I remember.

Course, in the simple old days, we'd set the gun up at 820 FPS with the little buggers. And they were the best (for a while)... Die #2! I still have a few boxes of them

I recon this should get stickies in some way. Took me while to find it again. Just gone back over to AA fields and this was really helpful

Bruce

Some additional info ...

... and this may be just my gun ...

I've just tried a batch of AA that I've had in for some time. I never used these as they were bought in mistake from the Midlands Game Fair a couple of year's ago and they are 4.51 and not 4.52.

I tried them the other day and they were absolutely brilliant. I was knocking 15mm kills down at 35 yards and groups on paper were excellent.

They are S1 00 but I'm convinced now that the important number is that number at the top left. In the bad tins that I had ( in my gun ) that number was 18. In this tin that number is 27. In the good tins I've had before that number was 21.

The interesting thing is that when you look at the inside profiles of these pellets they are identical to the really good 21 ones that I had. The inner profile is very deep with just a tiny flat bit at the bottom of the profile. On the 18's the inside is not very deep and the flat is larger. Also worth noting that on the tins I've had which have been absolutely awful the profile is even less deep and the flat even larger.

This may be just my gun but it seems that my gun prefers the pellets that have a more hollow tail. Maybe the air blast gives a bigger area of the tail in contact with the rifling?

HTH

Col

Rickenbacker

They are hard ( Prems ) but I'm certain they are also bigger. When you drop them through the BIC tube they stop way up the tube compared to other pellets.

They do go well through the S10 and in that I did what you said and just wound it up to the right power with the Prems.