Thread: 10m match/bench rifle

10m match/bench rifle

Just posted in the wanted section but thought it might pay to ask And put the word out here, looking for an older 10m match rifle, FWB300 or similar anyone got something to sell or no of anything going? Please get in touch, shooting a Original 66 at the moment and looking for a bit of an upgrade.

Cheers mal

This may seem controversial, but IMO the FWB 300 isn't an upgrade from an Original 66, assuming yours is running correctly.

To get a significant upgrade perhaps consider one of the SSPs? Feinwerkbau 600 series, Walther LGR etc but you you really need to seek some out and find which fits you best and then target your search on that model. Ask around at the club, even a non-working model will give you some idea of fit and balance.

City Air Weapons have both a FWB 601 and an LGR. HTH

By "older" I am guessing you may mean a "classic" type of spring powered or SSP type of match air rifle?

If so, I agree with 18 wheeler - any of the classic match air rifles can be regarded as "superior" by a fan of any particular type - but as far as accuracy goes there is probably very little to choose between any of them.

The real difference will be when you find a rifle that you feel the most comfortable with - and that will vary from shooter to shooter as everyone has their own ideas about what they prefer or look for in a rifle.

The Model 66 is an excellent match rifle but as it has a break barrel action it may not be the best suited to your bench rest discipline - but then again neither would an SSP type either as both require lifting from the bench to cock and load them.

For your choice of disciplines I can understand why you suggested a side lever rifle would be an "upgrade" and I agree that the FWB300S would be a good choice - likewise the Anschutz 380, Original Model 75 and Feinwerkbau 300SU types are all worth having a look at and taking a few shots with them each to see what appeals most to you.

Let us know what you end up buying and why you prefer it to your Model 66 as this is always interesting to fellow classic rifle shooters.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Something familiar

Hi, I think zoomas hit it on the head, I should have maybe said "classic" target, the 66 is a good target tool with good build quality but break barrel and bench shooting don't lend themselves to good repetition. there is no doubting the merits of ssp, but I am more inclined to stick with something more familiar mainly springers and years ago I owned a 300 so that's why I mentioned the Fwb.