Thread: Bsf s20

Bsf s20

As my username suggests, I am new to the world of airguns, having used only shotguns all my life, with the possible exception of a Webley junior when young. I have been given a .177 air pistol which I now know is a BSF S20 in very good condition. I understand that they were made between 1950 and 1985. My question is, can the precise date of manufacture be established from the serial number? Would it be of interest to a collector. Also have been given a 'Gem' air rifle in fair condition which I believe is again German made about 80 to 100 years ago but I stand to be corrected on this.
    Any information that anyone could give me on these would be greatly appreciated.
    There is also a Relum Tornado in good condition, made in Hungary which probably is not worth a great deal but seems fairly powerful. Would this be any use against rabbits and pigeons ?

Many thanks for any help given.

Welcome - Re your BSF pistol. If you look at the serial number it will begin with the letter 'A' followed by some numbers. The first two will be the date - so A6457 would have been made in 1964. Lovely pistols and come in a couple of variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Welcome - Re your BSF pistol. If you look at the serial number it will begin with the letter 'A' followed by some numbers. The first two will be the date - so A6457 would have been made in 1964. Lovely pistols and come in a couple of variations.
    Does that serial number dating also apply to rifles?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

??

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Where does that leave those examples without the A prefix

Never owned a BSF rifle

Serial number: 'A' prefix

This one dates from 1985

No 'A' then .....

Bsf s20

Many thanks Mark D. the serial number is A7865 so that would make it made in 1978. I have yet to test it out using a chronograph as I now have been educated into their use.