Thread: Bullet casting lore

Bullet casting lore

I downloaded this the other week and am on my second reading. 181 pages of every thing you ever wanted to know about casting bullets but didn't know who to ask.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

It's called "From ingot to target: a cast bullet guide for handgunners." by Gen Fryxell and Robert Applegate. It's a must read for every bullet caster experienced or beginner.

I've posted this thread on the black powder section as it's equally pertinent to both.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Thumbs up

Ah! a bit of deja vu - I just downloaded it this morning from a link on the Cast Boolit forum. Just got to wait for the boss to go out for a while so I can print it off

Happy reading

Just as I thought I had it all worked out I've now got a million more things to try!!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I downloaded it and had a browse through it. It is very in depth and the author has obviously done some considerable research to amass this amount of information.

I think it would scare the hell out of someone thinking of taking up bullet casting and might even put them off.

Maybe the first line the author should have put was "Learn the basics and then read this".

Thanks for posting this great publication for us all to peruse and learn that basically, most of are really only scratching the surface of the skill and art of bullet casting after all.

My only gripe, and it's a small one, is that the authors found it necessary to engage in a bit of evangelism in the pages, something that leaves me just a little uneasy, I have to admit.

As a non-Christian, I'm more that little wary of proclamations of faith and belief being included in what is, after all, a fairly technical tome. I certainly wouldn't expect to see any religious references in a Haynes Manual of the Ford Sierra, for instance, nor in a book about underwater fretwork in Latvia - nor do I expect to find religion in a book about bullet casting. IMO what the authors hold as religious belief is their own private affair, and not one that needs highlighting in a publication like this.

My opinion only - other readers of this otherwise immensely valuable document might care to differ, but, as they say, whatever floats your boat.

Just sayin'.

tac

knowledge

Knowledge is gained by studying, absorbing and ignoring the irrelevant. After nearly fifty years of lead casting I still found this interesting and got some ideas to try, but nothing so far which has improved my bullets.

As to the religious content which so worries tac, it IS American. They can introduce religion to anything! I spent twenty years in the middle east teaching Arabs to fix tornado jets. I've been exposed to serious extremism and have learnt to disregard that which I can do nothing about.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Actually on rereading tac's post it occurred to me that I hadn't even noticed the religious content. Perhaps as a "non Christian" tac is oversensitive.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Cast bullets

I assume you have all read this publication by Brennan?

http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Actually on rereading tac's post it occurred to me that I hadn't even noticed the religious content. Perhaps as a "non Christian" tac is oversensitive.
    Not oversensitive, just a mite leery of an author proclaiming the love of Jesus in a publication on bullet casting. I just don't see the connection.

tac

Cast bullets and religion

Possibly a case of "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"....

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Not oversensitive, just a mite leery of an author proclaiming the love of Jesus in a publication on bullet casting. I just don't see the connection.

tac
    Praise the lord and pass the ammunition.
    If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have been bottle feed

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    Possibly a case of "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"....

Mike95

tac

Religion

When religion and weapons cease to be tightly connected and dependant upon each other we shall surely have reached salvation!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi