Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet cast lead

.22 Hornet cast lead

I am thinking of getting a .22 Hornet...I am impressed at the accuracy. Anyone know of suppliers of light (40gn) cast in 223/224? Jacketed are not allowed on my usual range and I think the usual twist rate on .22 Hornet, 1 in 16, would need a lightweight bullet. A gas check bullet would also be useful.

Mike95

Plenty of moulds and loading data out there.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    Plenty of moulds and loading data out there.
    Wouldn't recommend it, before long that approach can turn into an expensive and time consuming obsession which leaves you no time to actually go shooting. After a year or two you find you are choosing guns which might suit your projectiles, rather than the other way round. A compassionate advisor would gently turn the beginner away from these thoughts before it's too late.
    AYA SLE 12b, Harrier FAC air, Sako Finnfire .22

Quote Originally Posted by sackot View Post
    Wouldn't recommend it, before long that approach can turn into an expensive and time consuming obsession which leaves you no time to actually go shooting. After a year or two you find you are choosing guns which might suit your projectiles, rather than the other way round. A compassionate advisor would gently turn the beginner away from these thoughts before it's too late.
    I'd disagree. Reloading with cast bullets adds versatility to each firearm. I cast for my Hornet and its great fun shooting 45gr subs or stick a gas check on them and drive them up to 1800+fps with fairly decent accuracy at 100 yards. You can also use sp primers and fluffy powders like TB with great sucess. With store bought bullets spiralling ever northwards and availability becoming more and more dificult, it makes sense to have "economy food" for your guns. Who in their right mind is going to sit on a range, blasting away 100 reloaded Hornady 35gr Vmax when they're as rare as rocking horse poo?
    Besides, the OP wants to shoot on a range with lead only restrictions.
    I say, crack on mate. You'll have to cast your own so there's an initial cost outlay.

.22 Hornet cast

Lyman have a mould which looks the bizz. there may be others about. I will consider the matter! Cast bullet for Hornet is no doubt a minority requirement. I already use cast in an ancient 32/40 and a 7.5 Swiss so casting does not put me off, although I would rather buy in.

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    Lyman have a mould which looks the bizz. there may be others about. I will consider the matter! Cast bullet for Hornet is no doubt a minority requirement. I already use cast in an ancient 32/40 and a 7.5 Swiss so casting does not put me off, although I would rather buy in.

Mike95
    If you're thinking 225438, be aware that Lyman changed the design without changing the designation, there are old style (stubby) and new style moulds. I have a recent production one, it drops oval and marginally undersize. Some have purchased and returned it for this, awkward if US sourced.

You might consider this:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...ncg7lfk5jnl717
    (NOE copy 225107, if the link breaks). NOE are in a different class to Lyman for mould quality, would recommend. People who purchased also viewed the following:
    http://www.freechex.net/index.html
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByC...2%20Hornet.pdf

You might also want to google "beagle 223 grown men cry". See you in the asylum.

Cast for Hornet

That NOE does look ideal...37gn should shoot well with a 1-16 twist....and it is GC....I did buy the NOE "special" mould for the 7.5 Swiss...excellent firm.

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    That NOE does look ideal...37gn should shoot well with a 1-16 twist....and it is GC....I did buy the NOE "special" mould for the 7.5 Swiss...excellent firm.

Mike95
    Once you've got the gun you want to use it in, I can post you some samples to try if you like. PM me your address when you get to that stage.

@Mike95 - would you mind telling me about casting for the 7.5 Swiss? I have two rifles in 7.5x55, and I'm about run out of the 180gr gas-checked bullets I used to by from Mr Allwood.

tac

Sound advice, take heed
    Careful with that axe Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by EGGY View Post
    Sound advice, take heed
    Sorry, but I don't agree!
    The benefit of cast boolits is the ability to get great accuracy by getting the right boolit fit. I have numerous rifles that all shoot cast extremely well (and cheaply).
    With Jacketed bullets you fit the gun to the bullet and we all know the cost of that!

Sound advice, take heed
    Tongue in cheek Rog
    Careful with that axe Eugene

Tongue in cheek Rog
    sorry, it went way over my head. DOH!

Tongue in cheek Rog
    My fault, I should learn to use these new-fangled smilie-things.

Anyway, not much chance of my deterring anyone. I reckon if someone came on here and said "The eternal secret to perfect cast bullets, but it will cost a second mortgage, three years of your life and the sacrifice of your first-born" the universal response would be "Great, where do I sign".

My fault, I should learn to use these new-fangled smilie-things.

Anyway, not much chance of my deterring anyone. I reckon if someone came on here and said "The eternal secret to perfect cast bullets, but it will cost a second mortgage, three years of your life and the sacrifice of your first-born" the universal response would be "Great, where do I sign".
    Casting boolits is the SAME as ANY production process!
    If you have ever worked in an efficient production environment and observed how it worked then you have the basics.
    Good tooling, good working area and layout, good material (ie lead alloy) and patience.
    A standard operation has to be established as well (a good Japanese technique) ie do the same operation over and over in the same (identical) manner to get consistency. Continual improvement is essential (called Kaizen).
    Sourcing lead is down to your being innovative - DO NOT use wheel weights or battery lead! Sheet lead is easy but the antimony and tin can be expensive. Range lead is a good source of raw material. Alloying the mix is best done in large quantities - I use a Dutch oven taking nearly 100kg.
    Quality assure your product ie is it fit for purpose?
    PM with questions and I'm not trying to be a smart a**e!