Thread: Advice on a Colt Navy .36

Advice on a Colt Navy .36

Hi,
    I've just got an old .36 Navy Colt (1851) from a deceased member of our club.
    It's marked 'Made in Italy' & G.U. A bit of research tells me this is Gregorelli and Uberti who were in partnership around 1959-62 until Uberti set up on his own.
    It's a brass frame and in quite reasonable order.

Any suggestions as to ball size? I gather most like .375 but I've also read that recent Ubertis find those a bit loose and like .380. I wonder if that is true of one this old?

Suggested loads are around 18gr but I'll be using 777 so I guess a bit less than that - especially with a brass frame. 15gr sound reasonable??

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sclg View Post
    Hi,
    I've just got an old .36 Navy Colt (1851) from a deceased member of our club.
    It's marked 'Made in Italy' & G.U. A bit of research tells me this is Gregorelli and Uberti who were in partnership around 1959-62 until Uberti set up on his own.
    It's a brass frame and in quite reasonable order.

Any suggestions as to ball size? I gather most like .375 but I've also read that recent Ubertis find those a bit loose and like .380. I wonder if that is true of one this old?

Suggested loads are around 18gr but I'll be using 777 so I guess a bit less than that - especially with a brass frame. 15gr sound reasonable??

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
    Sir - most .36cal Navy Colts of my acquaintance over the years like a .380" ball, but yours is a really early model. Is there no way that you can experiment with a couple of kind folks here donating one or two of each? 15gr of Triple 7 sounds like a good starting load for a brass-framed Colt Navy - it's about the same as almost 20gr of regular 3Fg. General consensus is to keep loads low on any brass-frame revolver of this type, bearing in mind that the wedge is made of steel...

Loads of luck and have fun!

tac

Thanks tac - I should have thought of experimenting!
    I will ask around my club first and see what others have - there are a few .36 pistols around.

Steve