Thread: Black Powder Rifles...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Black Powder Rifles...

i've been looking into getting a bp rifle, i already shoot a Le Page .44 doing some competitions. i haven't got a lot of funds and looking about i've found two possibilities that may be some fun to shoot at the club. i was wondering if anyone has had any time on these two rifles or anyone can inform me of any info good or bad? the two rifles in question are:

Ardesa Persuit LT .50

and

Ardesa Deerhunter Rifle Percussion .45

both can be found and purchased from Mr Krank...

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=7133
    http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=6873

thanks for any info, all the best.
    ... BOOM!

Funnily enough a club member turned up with his new Pursuit .50 today, very nice looking rifle and looks a breeze to clean with the removable breach plug.

He was using 80 grains of black and and ramming some sort of tank projectile down the muzzle. I think the muzzle blast was seen and felt in the next county! He seems to think the max load is 160 grains which I guess would be useful if hunting a bear.......

Looked great fun and am seriously thinking of getting one.

The tank-like projectile is called a sabot. They cannot be homemade, only bought and they are not cheap.

This style of rifle is called an in-line muzzle-loader, and bears absolutely no similarities to traditional muzzle-loading firearms, apart from the fact that they both use BP - and, of course, any of the subs.

So apart from leisure/club shooting/plinking, there is nowhere that you would be able to shoot it here in UK in any form of competition - the MLAGB is for tradional BP long and hand arms, not for inventions of the 1980's.

You might try and convince your FEO that it is a suitable firearm for the taking of deer, but they are not exactly long-range shooters - so good luck on that.

The Ardesa percussion carbine is a nice little brush gun and general fun gun. Just as much fun can be had a lot cheaper with a s/h Parker-Hale Musketoon, which is at least totally made in England, and is a perfect repication of an original artillery carbine of the WoNA era. Mine was bought new in 1972, and is a great little shooter with not a lot of powder - 45gr of FFg works well at 50m.

My local gun dealer has half a dozen of them - all at around £200 - 250 mark. I'd be happy to own any of them.

tac

so which did you get aleale13 ???
    ied like to get a bp rifle too, but only have use of a 25m range with a .45 cal max

currently neither as funding has been an issue, but looking more towards the deer hunter in .45
    ... BOOM!

thats kool hope you get one, held ardsea ranger .45 think was 225, felt good,
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 15-10-2014 at 06:48 AM.